FartWaffles

Alan Faneca is retiring

Per Rotoworld:

Free agent and 13-year veteran LG Alan Faneca will announce his retirement from the NFL on Tuesday.

A nine-time Pro Bowler and six-time first-team All-Pro, Faneca was one of the best guards of his era and a future Hall of Famer. An elite run-blocker, he paved the way for Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker in Pittsburgh from 1998-2007. His level of play had dropped off precipitously the past two seasons, and the lockout presumably tilted the decision toward retirement over the past month or so. The 34-year-old's exit will leave journeymen Rex Hadnot and Jeremy Bridges as the primary candidates to take over at left guard.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

I'm a little shocked, because I think Faneca has at least one or two more good seasons left in him. Sad to see one of the greats go. I think he should sign a one-day contract and retire as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Sad to see him go. Enjoyed watching him over the years.

HOF material for sure. This guy could easily shut down almost whoever came at him.

I hate it when these great players I grew up watching retire. Maybe he'll become a coach later in life, he has a lot of knowledge to bestow on others.

Updated May 10, 2011 5:18 PM ET

Nine-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca of the Arizona Cardinals announced his retirement Tuesday.

HARD TO REPLACE

Faneca's retirement makes the Cardinals' offseason that much tougher, FOX Sports Arizona says.

"After a lot of thought I am announcing my retirement from Professional Football. Playing in the NFL has been a childhood dream come true," he said in a statement, according to the Arizona Republic. "Thirteen years later I have decided that it is time to move on. From the dog days of training camp to winning a Super Bowl the memories are endless. The greatest memory that I will leave the game with is all of the lifelong friendships I have made.â€

The durable interior offensive lineman, who started 144 straight games dating back to the 2001 season, was originally selected in the first round of the 1998 draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Faneca, who also played for the Jets during his 13 seasons, played just one for the Cardinals. His contract expired after the 2010 season.

"It is time to move on to the next chapter in my life. I can't wait to spend more time with my family," the statement said, according to the newspaper. "Playing in this league for as long as I did takes sacrifice, not only by me, but by each of them. I want to thank Julie, Annabelle and Burton for allowing me to fulfill all of my boyhood dreams. I couldn't have done it without you."

Source: Adam Kaplan, FoxSports.com

I find it necessary to mention that Faneca's 9 Pro Bowl appearences were in 9 straight seasons, from 2001-2009. He was an automatic bid.

Topics merged.

Topics merged.

Oh snap. Good call Ranga. I'm a little late on the draw on occasion.

Oh snap. Good call Ranga. I'm a little late on the draw on occasion.

Haha no worries man...that's why I'm here ;)