Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

What are you writing?

This is inspired by the "What are you reading?" thread. I know that a good number of us posters on the site write in some manner or another. From screenwriting to poetry, sports articles to fiction, a wide variety of creative writing is done by people who visit this site. What are you writing, at the moment? What inspired it? Is it going to be one of your better pieces? Discuss.

I am currently writing a short story where the plot will be paralleled by the lyrics to Hurt's "Aftermath." I'm very excited by the general plot outline I have in my head and I just wrote the first few paragraphs tonight. If I put full effort into this piece, it has a chance to be my best work yet.

I'm also working on revisions to two of my other short stories: Forgive Me, Father and The Last Cowboy. I'm very excited with the direction those two are headed.

• Upvote 2

I'm working on chapter 15 of my novel, It's mostly dealing with the world changing as people who succumb to their vices become demons, and eventually start destroying the society around them and change into different creatures. Normal humans can't do anything to stop them, but these Protectors can.

I really hate writing a synopsis for my work, I never feel like it can do it justice.

Occasionally I end up doing write-ups for my top 100 list as well.

Edited by RazorStar

I am writing a lot of poetry and I am in the beginning development for my novel. I have finally got a very unique idea for a story, I need to get it all together.

I am writing....

in this post that Bware, Razor, and chiabone will be the only members that write books or poetry. :wink:

I am writing a lot of poetry and I am in the beginning development for my novel. I have finally got a very unique idea for a story, I need to get it all together.

What's the theme or inspiration behind this "unique idea" for this story that your about to write?

Lots of shitty writing assignments for school... I hate 'busy' work

What kind of poetry? And I won't ask about the novel. I just had a friend who posted his stuff on a site and it all got stolen, so I wouldn't want to put you in that situation.

What's the theme or inspiration behind this "unique idea" for this story that your about to write?

The inspiriation comes very loosely from the idea of guardian angels (I am NOT religious, nor is this novel). It may sound strange, but I would rather keep the details to myself for the time being. I will say that the theme is kind of dealing with the idea of a slave revolt.

My idea is nothing too deep or complex, there azre just details that I don't really think have been broached in a novel before.

I just re-wrote the intro to the Aftermath story. I like it more now. Me and some buddies are all writing stories tied in with songs. Four stories are being worked on in total.

Here's the songs that each of us selected.

1. Dear Agony by Breaking Benjamin

2. Mourning by Tantric

3. Aftermath by Hurt

4. A Beautiful Lie by 30 Seconds to Mars

I'm very interested to see how these turn out, especially if we decide to make them tie together. It'll be interesting to see how the stories measure up. Mourning and Aftermath are far superior songs to A Beautiful Lie and Dear Agony, in my opinion.

What do you guys think of this idea?

I am writing....

in this post that Bware, Razor, and chiabone will be the only members that write books or poetry. :wink:

I'm an English guy, you faggot.

I'm an English guy, you faggot.

Pretty sure we all speak English here.... ;)

Been working on a novel for roughly a month, I think. The finished product will be divided into five parts, and I finished part two today. So far it's 81 pages. Hoping to finish by the end of summer.

I'd love to offer to read it now, SteVo, but crank the whole novel out before you send it to folks. Criticism before a draft is finished is the easiest way to derail a work in progress. Glad to hear it's going so well.

• Upvote 1

I've put Sheshna on hold because of exams, but I still have the entire story planned out. I recently contemplated writing a story about the concept of "beauty on the inside" and such.

Edited by Vikingfan465

I'd love to offer to read it now, SteVo, but crank the whole novel out before you send it to folks. Criticism before a draft is finished is the easiest way to derail a work in progress. Glad to hear it's going so well.

I appreciate it, man. And you're right, I believe; I will finish it before sending it to those who want to read/proof it. As of now it's 106 pages, and I'm writing as we speak. :D

This is relating to the idea I posted about earlier; I wanted to pitch this idea to a small group and see what they thought. Given how intelligent these boards are, I figured this was a good place to do it. Anyway, here's the idea (critique away):

A shy boy who falls for a girl who is very indifferent to him. When she is harmed by a gunmen during an out of school encounter, he kills the gunmen only to be shot numerous times. He discovers that he received no actual damage from the wounds, but he still feels extreme pains - he is left with only bullet wounds and scars. His story spread and he's touted as a hero, and the fame goes to his head; however, he still fails to approach his crush. His life takes a turn for the worst as people abuse his invincibility to external threats and as he realizes how quickly he can turn from a hero to a zero.

This isn't planned to be a story berating society for how they treat "heroes". Really, it'd be about how ones' appearance on the outside does not reflect who they really are. That'd be a lot more obvious with the ending that I planned, but I don't want to give that away (unless you guys want me to? :p)

Anyway, thoughts?

I'm in a sort of "crawl before you walk" phase. I'm trying to get into screenwriting, but between work obligations and difficulty committing to one of the several thin premises rolling around in my headed, I think right now I should just focus on studying the movies I watch from a story-telling perspective as opposed to an audience one. I've made a handful of attempts before but impatience and lack of outlining made them fall apart.

I've been watching a lot of short films trying to come up with an idea or two that I could commit to and submit to some contests. I have a co-worker who would be happy to work on the film-making aspect of it, but it would be super low budget.

This is relating to the idea I posted about earlier; I wanted to pitch this idea to a small group and see what they thought. Given how intelligent these boards are, I figured this was a good place to do it. Anyway, here's the idea (critique away):

A shy boy who falls for a girl who is very indifferent to him. When she is harmed by a gunmen during an out of school encounter, he kills the gunmen only to be shot numerous times. He discovers that he received no actual damage from the wounds, but he still feels extreme pains - he is left with only bullet wounds and scars. His story spread and he's touted as a hero, and the fame goes to his head; however, he still fails to approach his crush. His life takes a turn for the worst as people abuse his invincibility to external threats and as he realizes how quickly he can turn from a hero to a zero.

This isn't planned to be a story berating society for how they treat "heroes". Really, it'd be about how ones' appearance on the outside does not reflect who they really are. That'd be a lot more obvious with the ending that I planned, but I don't want to give that away (unless you guys want me to? :p)

Anyway, thoughts?

I think the main character killing a gunman is a bit too extreme. He doesn't need to kill someone in order to be a hero. If this is a short story (and maybe even if it's a novel idea), a conflict like that seems like the writer might be begging for conflict. Do you have any ideas that might be toned down? He could just as easily save her life in another, less dramatic way.

I think the main character killing a gunman is a bit too extreme. He doesn't need to kill someone in order to be a hero. If this is a short story (and maybe even if it's a novel idea), a conflict like that seems like the writer might be begging for conflict. Do you have any ideas that might be toned down? He could just as easily save her life in another, less dramatic way.

It could be toned down. Possibly, they had an encounter in a shop and as she was leaving he noticed that she was being mugged? He beat the hell out of the mugger instead of killing him? He got stabbed? I want to show what's so special about the protagonist's personality, frankly. A gunmen robbing a shop was really the first thing that popped into my head.

It could be toned down. Possibly, they had an encounter in a shop and as she was leaving he noticed that she was being mugged? He beat the hell out of the mugger instead of killing him? He got stabbed? I want to show what's so special about the protagonist's personality, frankly. A gunmen robbing a shop was really the first thing that popped into my head.

It could be something as simple as him using his pocket knife to cut her foot free from a show she got stuck crossing the railroad tracks. I don't think I like that idea, but stabbing and mugging are just as dramatic, imo. Is this a short story idea?

It could be something as simple as him using his pocket knife to cut her foot free from a show she got stuck crossing the railroad tracks. I don't think I like that idea, but stabbing and mugging are just as dramatic, imo. Is this a short story idea?

This was more-so a book idea, frankly.

Anyway, thoughts?

This reminds me of Unbreakable, with the protagonist having hero-like indestructibility, but with a very different spin on it. It's also a unique take on the shy-guy-falls-for-cute-girl story, which I like; I'm a big fan of taking cliched storylines and making them interesting.

I'm in a sort of "crawl before you walk" phase. I'm trying to get into screenwriting, but between work obligations and difficulty committing to one of the several thin premises rolling around in my headed, I think right now I should just focus on studying the movies I watch from a story-telling perspective as opposed to an audience one. I've made a handful of attempts before but impatience and lack of outlining made them fall apart.

I've been watching a lot of short films trying to come up with an idea or two that I could commit to and submit to some contests. I have a co-worker who would be happy to work on the film-making aspect of it, but it would be super low budget.

When you first get into screenwriting, it's incredibly important to get the fundamentals down: protagonist, antagonist (or conflict, at the very least), setting, plot, character arcs. After that, the cardinal rule of screenwriting is to keep every scene as short as possible while still accelerating the plot and/or developing characters.