Favre4Ever

Aaron Rodgers... The Best Passer In NFL History?

We’re quite used to high praise pointed in the direction of Packers QB Aaron Rodgers from former players, analysts and players turned analysts. It’s happened before. Even from former quarterbacks.

But the latest from NFL Network analyst Joe Theismann should open some eyes.

“Rodgers, in my personal opinion, is the greatest quarterback when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game,” Theismann said on “Playbook” Friday. “The release, the quickness he gets it out, the spin on the ball, the position of the ball, everything is absolutely dead perfect. It isn’t just once or twice, its repeated time after time.”

Theismann goes on to explain how and why Rodgers is an “expert” at throwing to a receivers’ back shoulder in the video above. Don’t miss his breakdown.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/17/theismann-rodgers-is-greatest-passer-ever/?module=HP11_content_stream

Granted.. this is coming from Joe Theismann. And I expect no one to agree, but it is an interesting talking point, IMO.

Thoughts.

It seems a little easy to say someone current is the best to ever play the game. I think people sometimes underestimate just how difficult being a QB was before all the pro-passing rules began to enter into the game. QB's have more time to throw the ball allowing them to be more accurate, they have less to worry about in terms of getting their asses pounded into the ground, coverage rules have changed the game entirely.

I think you have to take many things into account when you're trying to determine if someone is really the best at something. In this case, there's been so many changes I think it's nearly impossible to really figure out who the most accurate passer to ever play the game was, and I personally think it's a little ridiculous to say a guy who's played for 3 seasons and has dealt with his own issues over that time span is the #1 most accurate QB ever.

I'd personally be hard pressed to say Aaron is the most accurate passer in the league right now let alone in NFL history.

Edited by Shotgun

somuch easier to be an accurate passer in a league where the average completion percentage is around 61.5% instead of 56%, or even as low as 50% in the time of Unitas and Otto Graham.

Guest Phailadelphia

Jesus, it's his what, 4th year as a starter and he's already being anointed the best passer in the game? What if Charles Johnson breaks his neck tomorrow and he spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair? This shit is way too premature.

• Upvote 1

This is ridiculous. There already two QB's currently in the NFL who are better than Rodgers: Brady & Manning. Rodgers could very well become a future Hall of Famer, but he hasn't come close to surpassing Brady or Manning's records, stats, achievements, etc. He's got 1 ring and 1 SB MVP. He's a star, one of the best in the game, but it's not realistic to say he's better than the old school QB's, such as Unitas, who played for the sport, not for the stats, and who took risks and weren't overly accurate. You also can't say he's better than the likes of Marino/Montana/Elway/etc because they have entire careers that they built, and they played in a league where QB's and their recievers weren't protected by a ton of rules. He now plays in a passing league with rules that favor offenses. Lets see how his career plays out before we annoint him the "best in the history of the NFL." Remember, one more concussion could end his career.

This is ridiculous. There already two QB's currently in the NFL who are better than Rodgers: Brady & Manning. Rodgers could very well become a future Hall of Famer, but he hasn't come close to surpassing Brady or Manning's records, stats, achievements, etc. He's got 1 ring and 1 SB MVP. He's a star, one of the best in the game, but it's not realistic to say he's better than the old school QB's, such as Unitas, who played for the sport, not for the stats, and who took risks and weren't overly accurate. You also can't say he's better than the likes of Marino/Montana/Elway/etc because they have entire careers that they built, and they played in a league where QB's and their recievers weren't protected by a ton of rules. He now plays in a passing league with rules that favor offenses. Lets see how his career plays out before we annoint him the "best in the history of the NFL." Remember, one more concussion could end his career.

I think you are diving more into the "Best QB" category. Theismann, and this thread, is strictly talking about being the thrower of the football. I know the line in between is very thin... But Theismann isn't saying that Rodgers is the best QB ever.

I'd wait until, at the very least, his 10th season to say some shit like that. Good Drugs is Good :yep:

Unitas will always be a better thrower than Aaron Rodgers. Unless Rodgers can manage 70% for the next 7 years or so.

Way too early to say.

/ thread

• Upvote 1

1. Theismann wants to get back in the news.

2. I haven't seen any football fans worship one player the way GB fans worship Rodgers since...Brett Favre played for Green Bay.

I'll never figure out you Packer fans. Oh, well.

1. Theismann wants to get back in the news.

2. I haven't seen any football fans worship one player the way GB fans worship Rodgers since...Brett Favre played for Green Bay.

I'll never figure out you Packer fans. Oh, well.

Football is life.

Football is life.

I don't mean it in that way. I mean you think that whoever is your QB is the greatest ever. Now you have had some great QBs, but fans of other teams are usually able to look at their teams more critically than Packer fans. You guys think all of your players are the best.

I don't mean it in that way. I mean you think that whoever is your QB is the greatest ever. Now you have had some great QBs, but fans of other teams are usually able to look at their teams more critically than Packer fans. You guys think all of your players are the best.

Nobody here agreed with Theismann, though. Rodgers isn't the greatest QB ever, he has a ways to go before he gets there.

Nobody here agreed with Theismann, though. Rodgers isn't the greatest QB ever, he has a ways to go before he gets there.

I know. It just seems that you guys rarely criticize your team. Not trying to argue, just saying.

I know. It just seems that you guys rarely criticize your team. Not trying to argue, just saying.

I don't usually criticize my team. I try to focus on the positive things. But when I see something that bothers me I get pissed about it.

The Packers just don't have any glaring problems (although the pass D isn't looking pretty right now) to criticize them about.

Ummmmm, have you read any of the gameday threads? F4E, Badgers, and myself criticized the Packers in both gameday threads and none of have agreed with this statement and all of us said approximately 10-12 wins for the Packers in multiple threads. We criticize the team quite a bit, even though there isn't that much.