Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

AFC West: Week 5 Preview

Chargers (3-1) @ Broncos (1-3)

At first glance, this doesn't look like a very good game. It's all about the Charger, right? The Chargers top the Broncos in just about every relevant stat there is, yet I'm not so quick to dismiss the Broncos in this matchup...

The Chargers dominated offensively and defensively last season, and they finished 9-7. Also, the Chargers start slow every year, yet they're 3-1: It's about time they lose a game like this. On top of that, their three wins are to teams with a COMBINED 1 WIN (Dolphins, Chiefs, and Vikings).

No.1 receiver V. Jackson still isn't practicing due to injury. Nor is Gates. Their second best receiver this season is Ryan Mathews. Result: trap game.

As not to leave the Broncos completely out of the discussion, two of their three losses have come by a total of 6 points. They get a division foe at home this week, and I won't be surprised if they pull out the win in what could be the AFC West game of the week.

They have a QB controversy in the stands, but they don't seem to have one on the sidelines. Orton should get some time to get Lloyd heavily involved in this game. That will be needed to open things up for the running game that Denver has had trouble getting going.

Look for a lot of firepower from two teams averaging over 20 points per game.

Broncos 27, Chargers 24

Chiefs (1-3) @ Colts (0-4)

This won't be on anyone but Chiefs' and Colts' fan's game of the week watch list. These are two teams with offenses so bad that they make the 2000 Ravens offense look explosive. 29th and 28th in yards respectively, while the Chiefs "boast" the leagues worst point differential (-77).

Defensively, the two teams aren't fairing much better, probably due to being on the field so much after numerous 3 and outs. Both teams are feeling the pains of star players going out for the season, poor QB play, and a struggling running game.

Cassel could really feel the pressure off of the edges from Freeney and Mathis if they can't get some short yardage situations early in this one. As we've all seen in the past, Cassel struggles more than most when he's pressured. The Chiefs will need to get the running game going fast in this one to give their QB time to throw, or it will be a long game for both of these teams.

The Colts are notoriously bad at stopping the run, so the Chiefs have a good shot at getting their second win against a winless opponent in two weeks. The Colts are also susceptible to screen plays when they blitz, so watch for a big play or two from McCluster coming out of the backfield.

Chiefs 23, Colts 17

Raiders (2-2) @ Texans (3-1)

This is Rex Ryan's dream game. Talk about ground and pound. The Raiders are the league's no.1 rushing offense while the Texans are ranked 4th in that category. The only team in the NFL with more rushing attempts than the Raiders this season is the Texans.

On the flip side of the coin, neither team is all that great at stopping the run, so there promises to be a ton of handoffs in this one. The Texans are giving up 4.9 YPC, while the Raiders are giving up a staggering 5.9 YPC.

The Texans' overall defense looks better on paper, as does the team as a whole, but the Texans will be without Pro Bowl WR Andre Johnson, so if the Raiders can find an answer for Arian Foster and company they may have a shot in this one.

Special teams may play an important role in this game, and the Raiders have the best one-two kick in the NFL. Lechler and Janikowski make sure that the Raiders always stay in the battle for field position, and that's a bonus in a game like this one is shaping up to be.

I think it's going to be a close, low scoring game, but I'm just not sold on the Raiders just yet. Plus, the Texans are looking like they're finally turning the corner.

Texans 20, Raiders 16

Good preview as always. :)

Yeah that Chiefs-Colts game is gonna be a tough one to call. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams struggled to score. Still I prefer the Chiefs. The running game should have a good day. The Colts run D is terrible.

Good preview as always. :)

Yeah that Chiefs-Colts game is gonna be a tough one to call. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams struggled to score. Still I prefer the Chiefs. The running game should have a good day. The Colts run D is terrible.

Thanks Ben. I'd feel a lot better about it if we still had Charles, but I'm sure Colts' fans would feel the same way if the had Peyton.