Sign in to follow this  
Patriots2994

QB Switch (Brady/Rodgers): Who plays better?

16 members have voted

1. 1. If Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers switched teams, who would do better in regards to being a quarterback and a quarterback alone?

• Tom Brady
    • Aaron Rodgers

If Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers switched teams but everything else remained the same, who would play better?

Tom Brady would have: Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Jermichael Finley, Andrew Quarless.

Aaron Rodgers would have: Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Chad Ochocinco, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez.

*NOTE--This post is to find out who would play better, not who would gain more wins with the team

or things that go with coaches/defenses/etc. Quarterback. Recievers. Who does better?

Edited by Patriots2994

Aaron would also have The Hoodie... which would greatly increase his stats.

Since both are incredibly talented QB's, I'd probably say nothing changes :shrug:

Brady from me.

Aaron is the best QB in the league, but we also have the best receivers in the league.

Brady is 2nd best QB, with a decent receiving group.

Switch those around,

2nd Best QB + Best receivers = Best passing game

Best QB + Decent receivers = Pretty good passing game

I'd say Rodgers.

I think Brady is a better pocket passer, which works great on the Pats offense, but he can't move around like Rodgers can. He would get killed playing behind that still mediocre Packers O-line.

• Upvote 1

While GB has a great group of WRs, Rodgers has to make it all happen and he is hardly ever "bailed" out by his WRs. Neither is Brady, thus I don't think the WRs factor in a whole much except for GB's receivers having an advantage at YAC. Like Shotgun mentioned, Brady would be playing behind a worse o-line thus helping Rodgers. I would say they would still be pretty damn equal with Rodgers having a slight edge. I'm looking at the throws each has made and Rodgers has only thrown one bad pick while Brady has had a few. Belichick wouldn't go as conservative as McCarthy, so Rodgers would have more opportunities to score.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Tough question...I'd say nothing would change,but i'll think a bit more...

Aaron would also have The Hoodie... which would greatly increase his stats.

Just like it increased Bledsoe's stats, and all Belichick's QBs in Cleveland..oh wait

In New England, Brady's receivers are so poor that he has to wait ages for one to come open. He is fortunate to have that offensive line, but at the same time if he were in Green Bay where his receivers were able to create early separation, he'd be fine behind that line too because he's such a quick decision maker. Rodgers would go to New England and probably become the white Michael Vick because he's used to needing to scramble quite often.

Brady would set yardage records and set the TD record AGAIN. Rodgers would add a new dimension to the QB position in New England. That's all.

• Upvote 1

In New England, Brady's receivers are so poor that he has to wait ages for one to come open. He is fortunate to have that offensive line, but at the same time if he were in Green Bay where his receivers were able to create early separation, he'd be fine behind that line too because he's such a quick decision maker. Rodgers would go to New England and probably become the white Michael Vick because he's used to needing to scramble quite often.

Brady would set yardage records and set the TD record AGAIN. Rodgers would add a new dimension to the QB position in New England. That's all.

How many times do you see Aaron escape the pocket then make a big play? Too often. Brady would get CRUSHED behind that Oline.

And Aaron can sit in the pocket and make throws all day you let him. Highest completion percentage and avg in the league right now.

Aaron may bring a new dynamic to New England.. but with Brady, Green Bay loses that same dynamic.

Edited by Favre4Ever

How many times do you see Aaron escape the pocket then make a big play? Too often. Brady would get CRUSHED behind that Oline.

And Aaron can sit in the pocket and make throws all day you let him. Highest completion percentage and avg in the league right now.

Aaron may bring a new dynamic to New England.. but with Brady, Green Bay loses that same dynamic.

That's possible, but Brady makes such quick decisions when he has to that I'd like to think he'd be just as good as Rodgers is.

• Upvote 1

That's possible, but Brady makes such quick decisions when he has to that I'd like to think he'd be just as good as Rodgers is.

Brady can make quick decisions because his offense is concentrated around the short passing game, especially with Wes Welker. Aaron has a quicker release, but also works his way down field as well.

lol, I love it when people say the Patriot's offense works around the short pass. I'm not saying it doesn't, but does that honestly mean Brady can't throw a deep ball? 07 Pats offense anyone? Consecutive deep ball after consecutive deep ball to Randy Moss.

With Driver and Jennings, that will fuck up some secondaries, regardless of Brady's short passing game.

Its true Rodgers makes plays behind his O-Line. And its true Brady just stands inside his pocket because of pretty awesome protection. Why? Watch Brady pre-snap. You don't see many QBs pointing out the blitz to his O-Line like he does or reading the defense like him in general. Not saying Rodgers doesn't, but Brady does it a lot more often.

Besides, Brady has always shown time and time again he knows how to get rid of it quickly and get it to a receiver under pressure. Also, its not like Green Bay's line is abysmal or anything, don't know why he would get "destroyed".

That said, I don't think I'd see much difference if they switched teams. Both know what they're doing and both are elite etc.

lol, I love it when people say the Patriot's offense works around the short pass. I'm not saying it doesn't, but does that honestly mean Brady can't throw a deep ball? 07 Pats offense anyone? Consecutive deep ball after consecutive deep ball to Randy Moss.

With Driver and Jennings, that will fuck up some secondaries, regardless of Brady's short passing game.

Its true Rodgers makes plays behind his O-Line. And its true Brady just stands inside his pocket because of pretty awesome protection. Why? Watch Brady pre-snap. You don't see many QBs pointing out the blitz to his O-Line like he does or reading the defense like him in general. Not saying Rodgers doesn't, but Brady does it a lot more often.

Besides, Brady has always shown time and time again he knows how to get rid of it quickly and get it to a receiver under pressure. Also, its not like Green Bay's line is abysmal or anything, don't know why he would get "destroyed".

That said, I don't think I'd see much difference if they switched teams. Both know what they're doing and both are elite etc.

The Patriots of 4 years ago is much different than the Patriots of now.

Did you see what the Steelers did to the Patriots last night? That would be Tom Brady every single game if he was behind the Packers line. He looked confused... he looked lost... He looked completely and utterly pathetic.

That wasn't just the Steelers playing great football. It was the gameplan... the scheme... HOW they did it that flustered Brady so much.

He couldn't beat the constant use of press man... The entire scheme in which the Pats offense runs was dismantled. He didn't have the options in the short passing game... And the pass rush was getting to him time after time... He didn't have time to go deep, and doesn't have the mobility to escape pressure when it gets to him.

There is NO chance. Literally none, that Tom Brady could run the Packers offense better or even at the same level that Aaron Rodgers does.

On the contrary... Aaron Rodgers would dominate the AFC, much like the Patriots have for years now (in the regular season anyway) without missing a step. Heck, he probably makes them better.

• Upvote 2

You still see Tom Brady throw the occasional deep ball. Seen it twice this season, both for 40+ yards. Same with last season. It just doesn't happen as often because we have no deep threat after Moss left. He can still throw deep.

And its good you brought up the Steelers game as an example. What you said is completely correct. But that's just one game. I wouldn't base who would be better in whatever team on one game. Does performance in one game really overrule his performance as of late? Sure he was shut down, but he wasn't actually BAD. Look at his rate, 100+. Two touchdowns, almost 200 yards and 70% completion against a defense who you could say completely shut him down. He could have done ALOT more if he got help any help at all from his defense.

The Steelers had almost triple time of possession than the Patriots had. Tom Brady can't pass when he doesn't have the ball. I didn't even expect that game to be close because of our secondary. But Tom Brady was still able to keep us within 6 even down to the wire.

I agree with the majority of your post. Noone will be able to run your offense like Rodgers. But I still stand by what I said. Tom Brady would still be able do well given the Packers offense. To the extent at which, however, would not be as great as Rodgers. Just in the same way Rodgers would not be able to run the Patriots offense as well as Brady. They are 2 completely different offenses. You can never be definitive in saying one will run the other better, because they can never be able to and will never be able to.

LOL at the idea that Aaron Rodgers is already better than Tom Brady. Just LOL. And I mean Tom Brady in his prime. Aside from the first couple of weeks, he does look quite human. Tom Brady would feast on NFC secondaries in the Packers offense and that's that. Aaron would be fine in New England, too. They're interchangeable, as far as I'm concerned.

Correct me if I missed something but I don't see anyone saying Aaron Rodgers is better than Brady was in his prime. Some of us are just arguing he wouldn't be as successful right now in the packers offense as Rodgers is because their O-line is so shitty and he isn't very mobile. He's a pocket passer and not much more. Rodgers has been sacked 16 times already, I guarantee you Brady's sack numbers would be at least in the mid 20's right now behind that O-line. We'd be seeing a lot more games like the ones he had against the Bills and Steelers.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I missed something but I don't see anyone saying Aaron Rodgers is better than Brady was in his prime. Some of us are just arguing he wouldn't be as successful right now in the packers offense as Rodgers is because their O-line is so shitty and he isn't very mobile. He's a pocket passer and not much more. Rodgers has been sacked 16 times already, I guarantee you Brady's sack numbers would be at least in the mid 20's right now behind that O-line. We'd be seeing a lot more games like the ones he had against the Bills and Steelers.

Brady is the quicker decision maker, and with good receivers who could get separation he'd get the ball out faster than Rodgers does. Aaron is almost like the NFC's Big Ben, just more prolific statistically.

He may be a little faster of a decision maker, but he isn't that fast, man. Nor are the Packers receivers any faster at getting open seeing as their offense isn't built on almost constant short throws like the Pats O is. The evidence is shown in their attempts. Even with more of a rushing game than the packers Brady has still thrown a full games worth of attempts than Rodgers has. He would still be holding onto the ball longer than he does on the Pats. I also think you're way over exaggerating his abilities. When he gets a rush in his face, which he would a lot on the Packers, he makes bad decisions just like any other QB in the league. I don't actually think anyone is saying Brady would play poorly on the Packers offense, either. He just wouldn't have as good of a season with the Packers behind that O-line as Rodgers would on the Pats.

• Upvote 2

Brady is the quicker decision maker, and with good receivers who could get separation he'd get the ball out faster than Rodgers does. Aaron is almost like the NFC's Big Ben, just more prolific statistically.

I know Shotgun covered parts of this in his response already, but it's important to say again...

I will give you that Brady is makes decisions quicker... But it isn't like Aaron is slow. And the difference is miniscule, imo.

You also have to remember that Tom's offense revolves around those quick, short throws. It calls for quick decisions on a consistent basis.

The Packers offense is much more multi dimensional. We definitely have a lot of those short throws... And on those throws Aaron gets the ball out EXTREMELY quickly. But the Packers also have a better mid-deep range game going for them.

Routes that take longer to develop and longer for the WR to run. So obviously, Aaron is going to be scanning the field more, instead of just making a decision and throwing.

Also like Shotgun mentioned... Aaron is getting sacked more than twice a game. And that doesn't count the sacks that he gets away from. Tom Brady probably definitely has more than 20 sacks... Probably closer to 25 so far. And that's against some pretty mediocre competition minus meetings with Jared Allen and Julius Peppers.

To me Rodgers has more overall skill and if he was in New Englands offense with all those easy quick throws who know's the damage he could do.

As much as I want to go with Brady, I have to go with Rogers. Especially right now where both of them are at in their careers. I think Rogers dominates on any offense he is put into. Even if he were put behind the Chicago Bears offensive line. What makes Rogers so good is the fact that he is[/b] mobile, he's not a scrambling quarterback though. He only runs if he's in serious trouble or if he can't find any reads.

Right now, Rogers is the best there is. He's got amazing arm strength (and he knows how to gauge it), amazing accuracy, fast release, and he's great at taking what the defense gives him.

If you swap these two quarterbacks, I don't think anything changes except for their records. Mainly because the Patriots defense is horrible. But Rogers would be putting up the same stats, and so would Brady.