Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Kansas City Chiefs Fire Head Coach Todd Haley

BREAKING NEWS on ESPN

Clark Hunt:

"This was a difficult decision but one that we feel is best for the future of the Chiefs," Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said. "Although there have been bright spots at different points this season, we have not made meaningful progress and we felt that it was necessary to make a change. We appreciate Todd's contributions during his time with the club, and we wish him well in the future."

Scott Pioli:

"Todd helped this team in many valuable ways over the past three seasons, and I am thankful for his contributions," Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli said. "Unfortunately, we have not been able to establish the kind of consistency we need to continue to build a strong foundation for the future and we believe a change is important at this time."
Edited by Favre4Ever

Exactly why this helps the team, I'm not sure. He was doing a great job, to be completely honest. Herm didn't exactly leave the team in anything other than shambles and look what Haley turned the team into last year, in his second year and when nobody expected it at all. Even this year, with all of their injuries, they were at least competitive. Firing Todd Haley does nothing to help this team in any way.

Romeo Crennel time?

There weren't too many teams that were/have been losing like the Chiefs this season. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. He'd still make a very good OC somewhere.

So they fire a guy that lost his QB, one of the best running backs in the NFL and a top safety? How high are expectations in KC?

Exactly why this helps the team, I'm not sure. He was doing a great job, to be completely honest. Herm didn't exactly leave the team in anything other than shambles and look what Haley turned the team into last year, in his second year and when nobody expected it at all. Even this year, with all of their injuries, they were at least competitive. Firing Todd Haley does nothing to help this team in any way.

Herm sucked, for sure. I didn't want to see this happen, but I can't say that I'm upset to see him go. I've kinda been preparing myself for it for awhile. We were only really competitive in 6 games this season. The other 7 have been just awful and hard to watch.

As a side note, I did expect it, and everyone said I was crazy. I predicted 10-6 last season during preseason. :wink:

Romeo Crennel time?

Looks that way for now, but hopefully not for long. He's a hell of a DC, but I've seen first hand what he does as a HC. :puke:

I'm jealous...

lol I know you are. I've heard you calling out Morris for awhile now.

There weren't too many teams that were/have been losing like the Chiefs this season. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. He'd still make a very good OC somewhere.

Yeah, they've looked pretty bad as of late. They had that little stretch where they looked pretty good, but it was short lived. They've been blown out as many games as they've been competitive. Still, I didn't expect this, even if I'm not surprised by it.

So they fire a guy that lost his QB, one of the best running backs in the NFL and a top safety? How high are expectations in KC?

Yes, in every game he was missing a minimum of 20% of his starters. It's hard to win that way. We as fans want to at least look like a professional football team out there though. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, and our offense looks about as bad as any offense I've ever seen. To be honest, the Chiefs mirror the Browns right now: Tough defense, can't get into the end zone. Whatever the reason, the frustration has been mounting. They're starting to look like the Herm Edwards Chiefs, something I never wanted to see again.

All that being said, I didn't want Haley fired. I thought he deserved one more season at the helm. He did lead them to an AFC West crown with that mess Herm left and an awesome draft class in 2010, which I believe he was a big part of. Still, I'm not surprised by this, and what's done is done. Still didn't see it coming, but let's get this thing back on track now that it's done.

lol I know you are. I've heard you calling out Morris for awhile now.

lol

@NFLSTROUD (Rick Stroud):

Fired Chiefs coach Todd Haley's record was 19-27 and reached the playoffs in 2010. Bucs coach Raheem Morris is 17-28 with no post-season

:bag:

This. Seriously, for the talent he had he wasn't doing a bad job. This is one of those cases where a HC gets fired when it really should be the GM that gets fired.

Because Pioli is a dick? :D

When Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli and owner Clark Hunt addressed the media to announce the firing of head coach Todd Haley, one of the questions they got seemed to startle both of them: Why fire Haley during the holiday season?

Karen Kornacki of KMBC pressed that point with Pioli and Hunt, noting that Haley has children and wondering why he couldn’t have been kept on until after the holidays.

“About the timing, I mean, it’s two weeks before Christmas,” Kornacki asked. “The man has five children. Was it really that necessary for the timing now, rather than the end of the year? Was there something about doing this that paved the way for something that you felt had to happen later, that you couldn’t wait a few more weeks?”

Hunt looked puzzled that he was even being asked the question.

“The timing of these situations is always difficult,” Hunt said. “There never seems to be a right time.”

Pioli offered similar thoughts.

“There’s never a good time for a decision like this,” Pioli said. “There really isn’t.”

Really, what else could Hunt or Pioli say? In the NFL, if you’re not producing you lose your job. It may seem cruel, but that’s life in the NFL — and that’s something Haley knew when he decided to become a football coach. If he didn’t like it, he didn’t have to go into this line of work.

The good news for Haley is that coaches continue to get paid when they’re fired with time left on their contracts. Christmas in the Haley household will go on, and this year Dad will have more time to spend with the kids.

I don't think him getting fired before Christmas is a big deal. Maybe his kids will be sad but maybe they'll be happy when they realize dad is going to be home throughout the holidays.

Don't think this was the right move at all, sure he wasn't getting wins, but he was making a pretty young team into an eventual contender(within their division)

Looks that way for now, but hopefully not for long.

I hope he's the HC for seasons to come. His press conferences are epic.

I hope he's the HC for seasons to come. His press conferences are epic.

His press conferences are the stuff of legend, but I liked them a lot more when he was wearing a Browns sweatshirt. I can't see a guy with the Red on having that dear in the headlights look on his face, fumbling through answers and what not.

For those wondering why he is being fired after a season with so many injuries...

It isn't just about performance.

For one, even though I very much dislike him.. I think Pioli is using him as a bit of a scapegoat. With that said, I still don't think he is much of a head coach.He's supposed to be an offensive guy, and his offense is terrible... Now, before we start talking injuries... He failed to utilize Jamaal Charles and Dexter McCluster... He's a WR guy, but never had a WR behind Bowe until this year... Cassel isn't a franchise QB, but he goes down and for some reason he has unwavering faith in Tyler Palko?1? The only reason the Chiefs won anything this year was because of Crennel and his defense.

Secondly... Pioli and Haley were like oil and water. Their philosophies didn't mesh and they each had a different vision for the team. This led to failures in communication, acquiring FAs, and scouting talent through the draft process. They just couldn't work together... So regardless of his ability to be a head coach in the league, the two parties just couldn't co exist in Kansas City any longer.

I'm sad, the Chiefs might actually be good without him. He did do one thing right though, and that was getting Bowe and the other Carl Peterson picks to live up to their potential. He might actually find another HC job somewhere else.

I'm sad, the Chiefs might actually be good without him. He did do one thing right though, and that was getting Bowe and the other Carl Peterson picks to live up to their potential. He might actually find another HC job somewhere else.

Honestly, I think Pioli hired him as a short term fix.. A transition guy if you will. It is a shitty reality, but they didn't see to mesh well from the beginning.

glad he's gone.

my biggest fear now is that Pioli will look for a HC that will accept Cassel as the starting QB which could possibly be Josh McDaniels. (a lot of the experts seem to think this is where Pioli will turn)

McDaniels could be great as OC but not the HC.

lmao the smile at the end was a perfect finish.

Haha. Ya, the video was pretty epic. It made me feel bad for the guy and I absolutely despise him as a head coach. lol

Haha. Ya, the video was pretty epic. It made me feel bad for the guy and I absolutely despise him as a head coach. lol

It's the power of Sarah McLachlan. That's why she does all those abused animal commercials. BAWWWW

• Upvote 1