Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Fire Raheem Morris

BREAKING NEWS on ESPN. Being reported by Adam Schefter.

Bucs official Twitter page...

@TBBuccaneers (Tampa Bay Buccaneers):

The Buccaneers relieved Head Coach Raheem Morris Monday after three seasons. There will be a news conference at One Buc Place at 3 p.m. ET.

@TBBuccaneers (Tampa Bay Buccaneers):

G.M. Mark Dominik: “I have a lot of respect…for the passion Coach Morris gave to our team, but this change is one we felt was necessary.”

Edited by BucD

And the big off-season for the Bucs begin. Good start, Olson better be next. I like Raheem as a guy, but this move had to be made. He just isn't ready to be a HC yet and it obvious the Bucs gave up on him at the end of the season. I'm very excited to see who will be replacing him.

I really hope Olson is next. I wanted him out more than Rah, although I approve the move to fire Raheem as well.

I really hope Olson is next. I wanted him out more than Rah, although I approve the move to fire Raheem as well.

The whole coaching staff has been fired, including Olson.

The whole coaching staff has been fired, including Olson.

Awesome.

So far I'm liking all these moves by the Glazers. From taking care of the coaching staff to refusing to play games in London from now on, they are moving in the right direction.

As far as the team goes, I really don't think your players are bad. Under the right direction, they're a Wild Card- challenging team.

The Bucs now have plans to interview ex-Titans coach Jeff Fisher for their head coaching vacancy.

The Bucs front office will add Fisher to the list after a source said Monday that he is willing to listen to all offers. They may have to get the interview in by the weekend, as the Rams are widely expected to make a strong push. Fisher joins Titans DC Jerry Gray, ex-Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman, and Falcons OC Mike Mularkey as candidates in Tampa.

Related: Rams, Dolphins

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

1. Jeff Fisher

2. Mike Mularkey

3. Mike Sherman

In order of the guys targeted...for me....

Edited by BucD

1. Jeff Fisher

2. Mike Mularkey

3. Mike Sherman

In order of the guys targeted...for me....

Too bad the chances of them getting the job are in reverse.

Per TampaBayTimes.com:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers will interview former Green Bay Packers, Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

In Print: Wednesday, January 4, 2012

TAMPA — The last time former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman made headlines in Tampa Bay, he was going after Warren Sapp, angry about the Bucs defensive tackle's hit that injured offensive lineman Chad Clifton far away from an interception return.

As Sherman approached Sapp on the sideline after the game, the Bucs defensive tackle bellowed, "If you're so tough, put a jersey on!"

Sherman, 57, will be returning to Tampa Bay soon hoping to wear a headset for the Bucs.

Sherman confirmed Tuesday he has been contacted by the Bucs but declined further comment. An interview is being scheduled, Sherman said.

"I prefer not to make any comment about that just yet," Sherman said Tuesday when reached by the Times. "I hope you understand."

One day after the team fired coach Raheem Morris and his staff, the Bucs' candidate list began to take shape.

Co-chairman Joel Glazer said Monday the Bucs would not pigeonhole candidates, which includes NFL coordinators and college coaches.

"It's easy to say you want a leader with discipline and all these different things," Glazer said. "But I'm not going to characterize it one way or another. We want a person who we feel will represent this team well, represent community well and get our players progressing.

"I'm not going to put any artificial deadlines on this. We're going to talk to people until we find the right person and when we find the right person and there's the right chemistry and the right belief on what that person stands for, for this franchise and working relationships with the general manager and everyone in the organization, that's when we'll make the decision."

While it might be a level playing field, several intriguing candidates have NFL head coaching experience.

Former Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher interviewed Tuesday with the Miami Dolphins, and the Bucs are working with Fisher on scheduling an interview, perhaps this week. Fisher is also considered a strong candidate for the St. Louis Rams.

The Bucs plan to interview Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, who has been instrumental in developing quarterback Matt Ryan. Mularkey began his coaching career in Tampa Bay in 1992 as an offensive quality control assistant under Sam Wyche. He was the Buffalo Bills head coach from 2004-05, resigning with a 14-18 record.

The Jacksonville Jaguars received permission to interview Mularkey, whose focus is preparing for a playoff game against the Giants.

Tennessee defensive coordinator Jerry Gray is also on the Bucs' list, but the team had not formally asked for permission from the Titans. Gray played with the Bucs in '93 and worked under Fisher in Tennessee.

In six seasons with the Packers, with Brett Favre in his prime at quarterback, Sherman went 57-39 and won three NFC North titles. He was fired in 2005 after the Packers went 4-12, their first losing season since 1991.

Sherman was 25-25 in four seasons at Texas A&M, with two bowl appearances. He is an offensive play-caller who spent two seasons with the Houston Texans before joining the Aggies. He was offensive coordinator his last season with the Texans.

An experienced playcaller could be a boost for quarterback Josh Freeman, who struggled last season with 16 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. In 2010, he threw 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. The Bucs committed 40 turnovers this season.

Before they parted ways Jan. 27, Fisher was the NFL's longest tenured coach, spending nearly 17 seasons with the Houston Oilers/Titans organization. Fisher went 142-120 (.542), winning four division titles and appearing in the playoffs six times. He's 5-6 in the playoffs, with a Super Bowl trip in the 1999 season, when the Titans lost to the Rams 23-16.

Why the fuck would anybody even want him? He started out okay in Green Bay when he had Ron Wolf's players but as soon as Wolf retired we went down the shitter.

Why the fuck would anybody even want him? He started out okay in Green Bay when he had Ron Wolf's players but as soon as Wolf retired we went down the shitter.

The Bucs are interested because he is older, experienced, has an offensive background and isn't a "player's coach." He is the polar opposite of Raheem Morris, which is what teams look for when they fire a head coach normally.

However, I am not interested because....

1)He has a conservative WCO background. That same offense has been run by our last two playercallers (Gruden, Olson) with no success. Why in the hell should we try it again under Mike Sherman?

2)His failure at Texas A&M bothers me. I know the NFL and college are different, but he couldn't get results out of college kids and our roster is practically fresh out of college. There was talk he lost the Green Bay locker room towards the end of his run too.

3)It just isn't what this city needs now. The Bucs are just so flat and boring and Mike Sherman will just continue that trend. This franchise needs something to be excited about and Mike Sherman just won't get the job done.

The Bucs are interested because he is older, experienced, has an offensive background and isn't a "player's coach." He is the polar opposite of Raheem Morris, which is what teams look for when they fire a head coach normally.

1)He has a conservative WCO background. That same offense has been run by our last two playercallers (Gruden, Olson) with no success. Why in the hell should we try it again under Mike Sherman?

2)His failure at Texas A&M bothers me. I know the NFL and college are different, but he couldn't get results out of college kids and our roster is practically fresh out of college. There was talk he lost the Green Bay locker room towards the end of his run too.

3)It just isn't what this city needs now. The Bucs are just so flat and boring and Mike Sherman will just continue that trend. This franchise needs something to be excited about and Mike Sherman just won't get the job done.

Don't the Packers still run the WCO?? I mean obviously it's been molded and changed quite a bit, but that's my point. If he is indeed the hire, the best we can hope for is that he and his OC and QB coach will do the same/similar thing here. Mold the offense (WCO or not) to the strengths of his personel and of Freeman.

IMO - I think Fisher is the #1 choice w/ Sherman and Mularkey as the backup plans. Although, earlier this afternoon, Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times held a Q&A with fans and he said that the Bucs are also looking at other coaches including college coaches...

I think most of you criticisms of Sherman are very fair. In the end game... I think he could take Tampa Bay and reach the playoffs a few years... But I heavily doubt his potential to become and mold a world champion.

Also as stated by Badgers... You need to make sure your front office, and scouts are top notch. Because Sherman really struggles with that kind of thing.

@HolderStephen:

I'm still being told that #Bucs shouldn't be ruled out re: Jeff Fisher. This same source has been correct on previous developments FWIW

Per PewterPlank:

Don’t Count on Jeff Fisher to be the Next Coach of the Bucs

AUTHOR: Patrik Nohe

Fisher is not likely to coach the Bucs, though that's not necessarily a bad thing...

Over the past few days perhaps the biggest name on the coaching market has been Jeff Fisher. Fisher is an extremely experienced coach who spent the better part of two decades in Tennessee and Houston coaching the Titans (once Oilers). With Bill Cowher being coy about whether he wants to coach again and Jon Gruden having already been fired in Tampa once, it’s Fisher who has been built up into the ideal head coaching candidate.

Unfortunately, or fortunately as I’ll get to, Fisher won’t be coaching next year in Tampa.

Right now, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Fisher is trying to decide between the St. Louis Rams and the Miami Dolphins, the Bucs are not really even on his radar.

Though that may seem undesirable, I’ll let you in on a little secret, Jeff Fisher is not the coach he’s being made out to be. He’s not what the Buccaneers need. I’m not talking about his record or his playoff appearances either, no I’m talking about the fact that the Buccaneers need a coach who is going to come into their young locker-room and put the hammer down. Fisher is not that guy.

Now I know a lot of people want to believe that he is the ideal hire and would take Tampa to a place of legitimacy. They may point out his experience with mobile quarterbacks and working under a GM to support that argument. But the truth is Jeff Fisher has never really been the kind of authoritarian coach that fans the league over are crediting him for being.

A lot of players ran wild during Fisher’s tenure as head coach. To name a few, Vince Young more or less put Fisher on the hot seat himself, Adam “Pac Man” Jones began his bad behavior in Tennessee, Albert Haynesworth caused all sorts of problems for him before the Titans let him walk in free agency (remember before the holdouts and griping how Haynesworth stomped on Andre Gurode’s head? Yeah several years later that was under control…), not to mention numerous other agitators that were allowed to disrupt the Titans’ locker-room.

That is not what the Bucs need. This Buccaneers locker-room has more than a few players who are capable of acting out or embarrassing the team, in his history as a coach Fisher has not been terribly successful in handling those sorts of situations.

What about Fisher’s handling of Adam Jones gives Bucs fans confidence he would deal with Aqib Talib any better? Jones left the Titans not after Fisher grew fed up and dismissed him, but after Roger Goodell finally came down on him with a major suspension. I’m not saying Fisher isn’t capable of disciplining players, I’m just saying if you look at the situations that he faced over his tenure as a head coach I don’t think his body of work really indicates he has been good doing so in the past. That’s not opinion so much as what we’ve seen.

That’s not good when the Bucs are currently dealing with culture issue in their own locker-room. Right now the Bucs are a selfish team. And the last several years of Fisher’s tenure in Tennessee were marred by a team filled with selfish players with individual interests. Based on his last performance, he seems to let selfish players just continue being selfish.

Think about Chris Johnson, Vince Young, Pac-Man and Haynesworth, all superstars whose egos swelled to disruptive, even counter-productive proportions under Fisher.

Maybe he’ll be better in his next job, but that’s taking a big chance with a young, headstrong roster like the Buccaneers have.

Ironically one of the first personnel decisions he’ll have to make should he become the head coach of the Bucs (which he won’t), would be what to do (once again) with Albert Haynesworth.

The point is that Jeff Fisher is not likely to come coach in Tampa, but that’s not a bad thing either.

He was never the ideal fit.

Hmmm....

This article makes some great points. May have changed my mind regarding wanting Fisher as our HC....

Per RotoWorld:

Former Bucs coach Raheem Morris reportedly dined with members of the Redskins organization Wednesday night.

As George Wallace of WTOP Washington points out, Morris and Redskins OC Kyle Shanahan were assistants on Tampa's staff in the mid-2000s. Both up-and-comers then, Shanahan was a lowly Quality Control coach while Morris had just been promoted to assistant DBs coach. The Skins would likely be targeting Morris to coach their secondary, potentially with an "assistant head coach" tag. Jan 5 - 8:29 AM

Source: George Wallace on Twitter

If true....good for him...

The only problem I have with the article on Fisher is we don't know if those guys were drafted by Fisher or if the GM/Scout department wanted them. You can't point at those guys and say he isn't a good authoritarian when there's not much a head coach can do when you're given a bunch of low character players to work with. It might hold some weight if other coaches were able to control those guys, but they weren't. Also, as we seen he quite obviously didn't have 100% control of the roster either. If the owner forced him to play Vince Young then who knows what else was going on.