Zack_of_Steel

Mike Wallace - Best receiver since Rice/Moss?

The Book on Mike Wallace

By Bill Barnwell on February 27, 2012 12:23 PM ET

At 25, Mike Wallace is the most promising young receiver in all of football. He's accomplished more during his first three years in the league than any other wide receiver in recent memory, despite unfavorable conditions, regular absences from his starting quarterback, and the presence of two of the league's most decorated wide receivers ahead of him on the depth chart when he entered the league. Any team lucky enough to have Mike Wallace on its roster can expect to have the best wideout in football in its uniform for the next several seasons.

An Auspicious Debut

No active receiver has put together a more impressive résumé during his first three seasons as a pro than has Mike Wallace. If you compare what Wallace has done during that time to every other active wideout over the first three years of their respective careers, Wallace's statistical record is staggering. Consider:

• Among active wideouts, Wallace's 3,206 receiving yards are the second-most accrued during a player's first three seasons, behind only Anquan Boldin.

• Among receivers with a total of 60 receptions or more during their first three seasons, Wallace has averaged more yards per catch.

• He's scored 24 touchdowns in his first three seasons, more than any other receiver in football besides Braylon Edwards.

Wallace's performance during his first three seasons compares favorably to stars like Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Roddy White over the first three years in their respective careers. The table below lists the three-year totals for Wallace, those receivers, and other notable players, ranked by receiving yards:

capturemik.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only two receivers in the past 30 years have gained more receiving yards and scored more touchdowns during their first three years than Wallace, and they make for pretty good company: Randy Moss and Jerry Rice.

Read more:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18362/free-agent-preview-mike-wallace

I'm not going to sit here and say the guy is better than the likes of Calvin Johnson because that's a hard argument for anyone, no matter what types of stats are accrued. However, I will sit here and say this guy is almost the same as DeSean Jackson except a HUGE catch. Literally a catch, because he catches the football. How many drops do you see Wallace have? Not too many, if at all. This guy has blazing speed too, almost unmatched.

He's quickly working his way up my wide receivers list in terms of best out there in todays game, and he's already close to the top. However, at the start of the season I definitely was missing Wallace on a lot of those "top 10" lists as I'm positive many others are.

The Steelers need to lock him up long term.

No... Even by the articles own omission he is behind Boldin in his first 3 seasons. Boldin was always good but I would not give him the distinction of great.

Since those 2:

Megatron>>>>>>>> Mike Wallace

Fitz>>>>>Mike Wallace

AJ>>>>> Mike Wallace

Also looking at it who was Megatrons QB previous to this year. Fitz has had Curt Warner, John Skelton and Kevin Kolb. AJ had David Carr in his best years and then an often injured Schaub. mike Wallace has had a QB that is extremely tough to bring down which does two things it prolongs the play for him to use his speed. And it makes the DB hesitate thinking it is a sack. So he gets a lot of separation that way. So he has a more consistent QB, and more QB consistency.

And to the last point the disparity between elite speed and good speed int eh NFL is fractions of a second and I dont know many receivers his age that get faster. Once a speed receivers slows down a 10th of a second he is nowhere near as scary. He has some good years ahead of him but he is not the big bodied strong guy that has staying power. Or the crafty route runner that insure separation like Jerry, CC, or a welker (that hurt a bit to say).

He's a great young receiver but it's difficult to take a comparison between him and guys who've been in the league and accomplished so much as an elite athlete seriously. He's only played for 3 years and a body of work among many seasons means a lot more than comparisons of a few seasons. Fitz, CJ, and Andre have had no better situations at QB, and in many cases worse situations at QB in their careers. I can't honestly say Wallace could put together a 1,200-1,400 yard season without Big Ben like elite level WR's such as Fitz could, and he needs to show he can put together a string of double digit TD seasons before I'd consider putting him in talks with those guys.

Ray Rice has led the league in yards from scrimmage over the last 3 years every year. Does that make him better than Marshall Faulk, Barry, Emmit, or Payton. I dont think so, but his first 3 compare to theirs. I think it is similar to Wallace in that aspect. Great but not top of the heap and does not merit conmparisons like that YET.

• Upvote 2

For the record, I am in no way saying that I think Wallace is the best since Rice/Moss. I think he has the potential to be an all time great, however. I was surprised to see how his stats in his first three years compare and posted the article for discussion.

Mav, I don't know about top five, but here's a list of who I think are best:

Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald

Andre Johnson

Greg Jennings/Mike Wallace/Steve Smith

Brandon Marshall/Hakeem Nicks/Vincent Jackson

Marques Colston/Roddy White/

Jordy Nelson/Victor Cruz (will climb with continued greatness)