Favre4Ever

Buccaneers Sign Paralyzed DT, Eric LeGrand

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a symbolic gesture, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand, whose career was ended by a spinal cord injury, on Wednesday morning.

LeGrand played for Tampa Bay coach Greg Schianio at Rutgers. In an Oct. 16, 2010 game against Army, LeGrand suffered fractures of two vertebrae and a spinal cord injury.

LeGrand initially was told he would be a quadriplegic and would have to remain on a ventilator. Five weeks later, LeGrand began breathing on his own. Later, he became able to stand upright with the aid of a metal frame.

LeGrand resumed his studies last spring. He led the Scarlet Knights onto the field for an Oct. 29, 2011 game and has remained very close with Schiano.

"Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help but think that this should've been Eric's draft class," Schiano said. "This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men."

The Bucs also decided to make the signing on May 2, to symbolize LeGrand's college number (52).

• Upvote 1

That's awesome. Just goes to show you the man Schiano is. Class act man. Class act.

• Upvote 1

That's awesome. Just goes to show you the man Schiano is. Class act man. Class act.

Absolutely. Best FA signing of the offseason, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Class. Pure class.

What this kid has overcome...truly incredible and inspirational...

Coach Schiano has always been by his side from staying nights next to his bed in the hospital to now. A great way to honor a person.

• Upvote 1

Good read. Way to be classy about that. Was Legrand good in Rutgers too ? Or didnt have enough time to tell?

Nice gesture. Great story. This kid is an amazing person to be able to overcome everything he has.

"Buccaneers signed paralyzed former Rutgers DT Eric LeGrand.

It's a thoughtful, classy gesture from LeGrand's college coach, Greg Schiano. "This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance," Schiano said. "The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men." Finishing up his studies at Rutgers, LeGrand plans to go into broadcasting. "

Per Roto

Thought this was exceptional. What an amazing gesture to that young man.

Bravo Greg Schiano. Bravo

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

That IS Class. He hasnt even coached a down yet and I am rooting for him.

I remember reading about this story when Schiano was first hired. Supposedly Schiano's family was very close to LeGrand, and that when he first told his family that he accepted the Bucs' job and were moving to Tampa, the first thing his kids asked was what would happen to Eric since he spent so much time with them. Very nice gesture by Schiano and the Bucs. I think they should let him lead the team out on the field this year like he did for Rutgers, that would be pretty cool.

528064_10151005845409348_779074347_13173441_1246569277_n.jpg

Edited by Milla4Prez63

Stories like this are what I want to read. :clap:

Bravo, Tampa. :clap:

Very classy move.

This should also go in the "good news thread", nice post and great signing

He tweeted a picture of his contract, pretty cool. :yep:

Ar_d9HICEAAnhlm.jpg