Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Sophomore Slump?

Well, out of the supposed "good" QBs on that list, Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford are drastically overrated, so this does not surprise me in any way.

Leftwich. :rock:

It's just a miscomception based off of how some players have slumped in there second season.

This is just one of those cases where it's always important to put it into context. No two QBs are usually in the same situation.

A lot of times, the talented QBs usually perform better their second season in comparison to their first.

But the softmore slump does apply a lot more to other positions imo. Especially when they were successful the year before, for obvious reasons.

It's just a miscomception based off of how some players have slumped in there second season.

This is just one of those cases where it's always important to put it into context. No two QBs are usually in the same situation.

A lot of times, the talented QBs usually perform better their second season in comparison to their first.

But the softmore slump does apply a lot more to other positions imo. Especially when they were successful the year before, for obvious reasons.

It'd be interesting to look up other positions, but I definitely hear it applied the most to the QB position.

Yeah when I hear or talk about sophomore slump I def think of positions other than QB, just because their are soo many variables that go along with that position and if you keep the same situation a QB usually can build or equal their rookie year. I think this slump applies more strongly to other positions like defensive line for example that is a position in which OL will start to study your moves and lock you down so you have to continue to add to weapons to your arsenal.

Since certain people have brought this back up after a poor performance, have another look.

The vast majority of rookie QBs that play well through an entire season do not go through a sophomore slump. (Bradford being the notable exception, and there were a myriad of reasons for that.) What generally happens for those that do is they take over partway through the season, (Vince Young), and play well for the rest of the season, then in the next season whatever trick they were able to pull is dissected, analyzed, and systematically destroyed over the next year, OR the offensive coordinator fails to adjust to the new defensive schemes.

Now, I realize and have come to grips with the fact, that many people will always scream and yell this after every game that Cam doesn't do well. If you just wanna do that, fine.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a sophomore slump. That goes for Dalton as well as Newton, since he also falls into this category. If either "slumps" it is because he hasn't put the time and effort in to succeed that he needs to. The sophomore slumps idea gives QBs an excuse, and it simply does not exist for quality rookie QBs.

Edited by Thanatos19

For QB's the sophomore slump is bullshit. plain and simple. I am glad somebody did the legwork to show it. Nicely done sire, nicely done

I believe in slumps but not second year slump. Too many things could be said to why they failing or why they are playing solid. Coaching, playcalling, scheme is also involved. I think thats whats hurting my Titans right now. Locker looked way better last year then this year. Not because his stats look bad but the whole playcalling sucks. Titan fans are starting to get on Palmer for his lack of change. He may be a good qb coach but the man cannot call a fucking game. Locker has a arm, and weapons. CJ struggles are on him makimg bad reads at times but also the line playing the worst ive seen a oline play. I know i say that over and over but still as a coach, and cordinator i feel theres no reason why they cant change it up. If something isnt working donot stick with it. Simple.

As for Cam he has looked up and down so far. He has weapons and RBs. I wonder what the problem is there.

Well, out of the supposed "good" QBs on that list, Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford are drastically overrated, so this does not surprise me in any way.

Interesting, considering he has over 40 wins since 2008. His numbers aren't half bad, either.

Matt Ryan is 43-21 in his 4 four seasons making the play offs 3 times including his rookie year which is definitely impressive. Unfortunately he's lost in the 1st round of each play off game. He definitely qualifies as a GOOD qb. He's just not great yet. That will happen after some play off wins. Kinda like Romo except Romo has 1 play off win.

Edited by dutchff7

I think Matt Ryan is overrated by the media. Most fans of football realize he is a good QB but lots of people in the media want to call him elite. I think even the most diehard Falcons fan will admit he is good and not elite. Tho some Falcons fans will argue with us Saints fans that he is I do believe it is mostly beause of the rivalry between us.

I personally think he is a good QB but has been restrained from trying to do too much since he got in the league. Once they let him loose I think he will only get better.

As for Sam Bradford I don't think he is even rated. Too many injuries to him and around him to really evaluate how he has done.

I believe in slumps but not second year slump. Too many things could be said to why they failing or why they are playing solid. Coaching, playcalling, scheme is also involved. I think thats whats hurting my Titans right now. Locker looked way better last year then this year. Not because his stats look bad but the whole playcalling sucks. Titan fans are starting to get on Palmer for his lack of change. He may be a good qb coach but the man cannot call a fucking game. Locker has a arm, and weapons. CJ struggles are on him makimg bad reads at times but also the line playing the worst ive seen a oline play. I know i say that over and over but still as a coach, and cordinator i feel theres no reason why they cant change it up. If something isnt working donot stick with it. Simple.

As for Cam he has looked up and down so far. He has weapons and RBs. I wonder what the problem is there.

I agree. I'm not saying they can't possibly slump in the second year, I'm saying that just because its the second year means absolutely nothing.

I won't touch the CJ issue, we'll have to agree to disagree on that guy.

As far as Cam goes... suffice to say I don't think its a coincidence that we are 0-2 without J-Stew and 1-0 with him. Now, he wouldn't have made enough of a difference to beat the Giants, obviously, but it would have been closer. We simply do not have a run-game without him, either A) because Tolbert can't do what is needed or B) because the OC won't give Tolbert the chance to do what is needed. A good run-game opens up all sorts of holes in the passing game.