Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Ryan Kalil: Panthers will win Super Bowl

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/37014/ryan-kalil-panthers-will-win-super-bowl

There’s a great story out of Charlotte on Wednesday morning. Carolina Panthers centerRyan Kalil took out a full-page ad in The Charlotte Observer.

That act alone scores him points in my eyes. These are tough times for all newspapers and I’m happy to see anyone pay good money to a newspaper where I used to work and still have many friends.

But this gesture goes way beyond helping the economy. More importantly, Kalil’s ad sends a very strong message to fans. You can view the whole ad here.

The short version is this: Kalil’s ad says the Panthers will win the Super Bowl this season. Then, he goes on and explains why and Kalil has some pretty impressive writing skills, which he can fall back on if he ever gets tired of playing the offensive line. But it doesn’t sound like that’s going to happen anytime soon because Kalil has other goals in mind.

“A moment is upon us, where dreams become beliefs and yearning becomes conviction,’’ Kalil wrote. “How do I know? Because I’ve seen it.’’

Kalil then briefly runs through the franchise’s history and says this is the year the Panthers do something they’ve never done before. He sees only one way for this season to end.

“One-hundred percent sterling silver victory,’’ Kalil wrote. “The Lombardi Trophy. And it reads: CAROLINA PANTHERS – SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS.’’

I like how Kalil thinks. The Panthers certainly appear to be a team on the rise. Their fans, who’ve had a few rough years recently, have very high hopes for this season.

Kalil has grown into one of the leaders of this team. I don’t view his act as a Joe Namath “guarantee." I view it as a very positive way to fire up fans and teammates as the Panthers get ready to head to training camp.

lolRyanKalil

Oh dear. I really don't like it when people do this.

Sure, teams always think they're gonna win the SB, but there's a reason why they don't put it out as a guarantee like this. I get what he was trying to do, but I still don't like it.

Let's focus on making the playoffs, then take it one game at a time.

Also, a question. What is the worst record a SB champion has ever had in the season prior to winning the Super Bowl?

Edited by Thanatos19

Overconfidence leads to failure. Every single team in the league think they're entitledto win the super bowl, it's the coaches who can temper these players to go out every week and never underestimate their opponent who end up competing every year. It's great that you're excited for the season, but all it does is paint a target on your back and make the road harder.

As I said in the Vick/dynasty thread, you need to be confident in order to be successful, but coming out and making predictions like this is, in my opinion, where the line gets crossed.

Also, a question. What is the worst record a SB champion has ever had in the season prior to winning the Super Bowl?

Had to do some digging because apparently noone has done a list of this yet.

Several teams were 8-8 and won the SB the following year.

However in 1981 the 49'ers were 6-10 and then won the SB in 1982.

BUT the record as far as I could find is.........

The St. Louis Rams.

In 1997 the Rams were 4-12 and in 1998 they won the SB.

Now as far as NFL and AFL Champions I don't know because I didn't dig that deep. But since there were less games played back then I don't see anyone coming close to the Rams unless they only won one game the season prior in that era.

• Upvote 1

I'll remember this statement when the Panthers finish 3rd in the division again this year. I don't understand why players feel like they need to say shit like this.

I don't mind that he thinks or believes this. Seems pointless to me, however, to place a full page ad in the newspaper telling the world these things.