Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

An NFL player does something good!

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley donates $60,000 to cover school budget cuts

By Matt Brooks Posted at 12:37 PM ET, 08/16/2012

In an offseason littered with DUIs, domestic violence and downright dumb decisions from a number of NFL players, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley chose to devote his resources to a better cause.

This fall, a substantial cut in the Saginaw (Mi.) Public Schools athletic department budget would have forced students to pay an annual $75 participation fee to play sports.

That just didn't sit right for Woodley, who helped lead Saginaw High to a state championship in 2000. SoWoodley covered the budget cut himself — all $60,000 of it.

"People can make the argument that it wasn't going to hurt participation, but it was," Saginaw High athletic director Dan Szatkowski told MLive.com. "Because of this, kids will have an opportunity to participate, an opportunity to be part of a team. People don't understand how important that is."

The pay-to-participate policy actually began last year, but Hall of Fame basketball player and former Michigan State star Magic Johnson covered the fees as part of a Sodexo Magic contribution.

"It's a tough time, but here's a professional player who gets it," Szatkowski said. "This is a big deal. He's providing the means for kids to participate. What's the price you can put on that? What price do you put on an experience? LaMarr Woodley is providing for that experience."

Via: Washington Post

pretty cool to see an NFL player get some good press for a change

Bravo Mr. Woodley. Bravo.

Alright now maybe I just haven't seen it yet...but this hasn't been talked about on NFLN yet? Why is it that they're always right on the beat with DUIs, arrests, training camp fights...but then a guy donates a huge chunk of money to save a school and nothing? I'd rather listen to a story like this lol.

Again, maybe I missed it the story, but I don't think so.

Alright now maybe I just haven't seen it yet...but this hasn't been talked about on NFLN yet? Why is it that they're always right on the beat with DUIs, arrests, training camp fights...but then a guy donates a huge chunk of money to save a school and nothing? I'd rather listen to a story like this lol.

These stories don't generate interest in the way the negative ones do. Its fairly evident just by looking at the types of topics that generate more talk here. Even if it gets lots of posts, its usually just a bunch of people agreeing that the dude's classy or something. There isn't a whole lot to talk about except saying "wow, that's cool."

Yeah exactly. There's not much more that you can say about this than "That's awesome." It doesn't create discussion like a channel would be trying to do.

The only real debate is the people who like to come in and say "Well they should be doing this, they have tons of money." Which I think is a stupid argument. But anyways this is a great gesture.

yeah, others have covered it pretty well, but basically controversy is what sells and the TV networks have to fill time, and stiff like this just doesn't do it, that said it would still be nice if these headlines at least made an appearance on the major networks