AllYouNeedIsLovie

Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson for CPOY?

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which players wins CPOY?

• Adrian Peterson
    • Peyton Manning

It's gotta be Manning. I hear a lot of people saying that Manning was expected to beast if his neck held up, but it seems like they're all forgetting about the last season that Peyton actually played. He still played great in a lot of games, but there was a stretch where he threw like 10 picks in 3 weeks. It was all "lolPeyton" and what not. He was sub-7 ypa, and he had his lowest QBR since 2002 (it was still over 90).

His neck was jacked up. People thought he'd be done for the season by now. People said he wouldn't be able to play on a team with such a differing philosophy from his own. People said a 36 year old QB recovering from a FOURTH neck surgery who was experiencing velocity issues would NEVER be the same QB again.

AP is playing GREAT, but he's 9 years younger than Peyton and has no real history of ACL issues. I can't speak with certainty on the full expectations of others, but I for one figured Peterson wouldn't miss a beat. It's far less difficult for a 27 year old in peak athletic condition to come back strong from an injury than for a near-40 guy with a past littered with similar injuries IMO.

Also, when talking about expectations, one has to look no further than fantasy football drafts. AP was going no later than the second round in most drafts, while Peyton—in a year where the first round is dominated by QBs—was going as late as the 8th or 9th round in many drafts. Seeing that fantasy football drafts are completely generated by mass expectations, it would appear that AP was still expected to come back to form, while Peyton was being somewhat written off.

Again, I'm going with Peyton.

Yea when I made my list of top QBs this past offseason their were people who were writing Manning off as an elite QB, saying he was on the decline, etc. Add to it the fact that he was out for over a year, on the wrong side of 30, had doctors telling him he should give up with football all together, people on this site (mostly joking I assume) who were saying he might not even make it to the half way point of the season. And he's top 5 in just about every major QB stat, and is probably the favorite for MVP right now.

AP's injury was brutal, and his recovery was/has been amazing... But it seems like every year players go down with injuries that a lot speculate might hinder their careers, but they come back and they pick up right where they left off, or are even better. AP is another case of that, plus he's still very young, at the perceived age where most players are in their prime, and probably in amazing shape before the tear.

Hell, Davis, who's my personal choice has torn his ACL multiple times in the last 2,3 years and is back and looks just fine.

QBs can play well into their 30s... Especially if they have a dominant defense and never get hit.

He didn't just not skip a beat. He got better.

Almost SIX yards per carry. I mean.. what the heck kind of rehab did he go through.

STEROIDS!

Personally, I'll give it to Peyton. AP has been outstanding and I <3 this season, but we have to give credit to the revamped offensive line and the rising passing game. I'm sure that AP acknowledges that his performance isn't all him (at least, I hope he does). He's having a great year (an amazing year), but I can't say that I'm not dumbfounded by what Peyton is doing.

Its definitely close, but I would give it to peterson because I think he's been a better running back than Manning has been a quarterback.

Really tough to say. Both had situations unique to their positions that make their performances this year pretty outstanding. I think the edge goes to Manning if he continues along this path, mostly because more media attention was placed on him and what he would look like in a new offense under a new coach, with new players, etc. Peterson's comeback from the knee injury is no small feet, though. But if the season ended today, I'd give it to Manning.

Adrian Peterson's current yards per carry (6.2) is higher than Christian Ponder's current yards per attempt (6.0) just thought that needed to be pointed out and this seemed like the best thread for it

• Upvote 1

I think you could argue Peterson is having the best season of his career right now. I'd give the award to him at this point. Hell, you could make a case for MVP, even.

Peterson is absolutely having the best year of his career. Not only did he come back from a devastating knee injury... But he's BETTER than what he was before the injury.

All you need to know.

Winner.

Peterson is absolutely having the best year of his career. Not only did he come back from a devastating knee injury... But he's BETTER than what he was before the injury.

All you need to know.

Winner.

Remember how the big question was, "Will Adrian Peterson be the same?" Ironically, he's not the same.

He's better.

Frightening.

The sad thing about it is while he's having these monster games, (the one against Seattle and Green Bay of course come to mind) they are losing because they can't make enough plays in the passing game to win.

Is a tie allowed? :troll:

I don't know how this particular award is voted on, but this is a case where they really ought to give the award to two players.

Oh, and I've got another name for the topic. He won't win because he's not playing at the insane level of Peterson or Manning, but he's coming off of 3 ACL tears and might be their team's best linebacker at the end of the day. Thomas Davis is having a nice little comeback year.

Is a tie allowed? :troll:

Peyton can put it right next to his Co-MVP trophy from 2003 :troll:

Peyton can put it right next to his Co-MVP trophy from 2003 :troll:

Ah, forgot about Steve McNair and him tying. I feel old remembering that.

The difference between Peterson and Lynch in yards is bigger than the difference between Lynch and Anyone else in the top 12.

Yards being overrated or not, that's fucking ridiculous.

This is a very difficult question and you can make valid arguments going both ways...

A.P completely tore all the ligaments in his ACL... That is a devastating injury to any RB and a come back isn't usually likely with the position being very strenuous on that particular muscle. Not only did A.P have a come back but he came back having the best season of his career on the verge of breaking 2,000 yards (averaging over 6 yards per carry) and in sights of breaking the all time season rushing record. That is completely unheard of in this league or any sport someone suffering an injury of that magnitude to come back and perform at a high level like he has.

Now for Peyton, some people felt as though he sustained a career ending injury and it was over. Shows how much they knew. The thing about Peytons situation is that he took an entire year off of football. He came back into a completely different scenario playing for a different organization as to where Peterson stayed in the same system. Petyon had to adjust to something completely foreign and he is having major success on a new team. This just shows everyone how great of a player Peyton Manning is. He gelled with his team on the fly in the heat of the season and has the Broncos 10-3 already in the playoffs. That's just unheard of and simply amazing. He's a true leader.

Now, who gets the awards determines on a few things. If A.P breaks Eric Dickerson's all time single season rushing record, A.P gets MVP and Peyton gets CBPOTY. Where I'm struggling at with this decision is if A.P falls short of the record and reaches 2,000 yards. Because A.P is one of my favorite players in the league, I want to still say MVP. But for Peyton to have the success he did with the Colts for over a decade, get injured, take a season off, come back to a new team and still have the same type of success leading his new team to the playoffs, I can't name a player more valuable then that. Peyton gets MVP if Adrian Peterson doesn't break Eric Dickerson's record and A.P gets CBPOTY.

Edited by dutchff7

I have a long, detailed answer for this question, but most of what I have to say has already been said in some shape or fashion. I'll sum it up: Adrian Peterson deserves the get the CPOY award. He is having a legendary season that might end in 2,000+ yards in a league dominated by quarterbacks. He is the reason that the Vikings' offense is able to function and score points. He has over 3 yards after contact and is in the top 5 for most (if not all) major running back statistics. Most importantly he's doing all of this after a miraculous recovery from a career-threatening injury to a body part that is crucial for his position.

That being said, I think Peyton Manning will get the award because, well, it's Peyton Manning. There's a little bias given to him (a lot actually). I don't see a way Adrian Peterson wins this award without one or more of the following happening: a 2,000+ yard season, the Vikings making the playoffs, and/or Peyton Manning seriously stinking it up in the last 3 weeks of the regular season.

I realize that what AP is doing is incredible, and Peyton is being Peyton.

But I want to throw a third player into this conversation, one who has no chance of winning the award because of what AP is doing this year, but what he is doing is no less impressive, in my books.

thomas-davis.jpg

Thomas Davis has had three consecutive years with ACL tears, and three consecutive surgeries for those tears- all on the same knee. He has done what no other player in the history of the NFL has done- come back from three ACL surgeries- and he is playing at a high level. He has 91 tackles, 2 FF, a FR, and an INT. I don't know how PFF grades him or anything, but every time I see him make a play, I just shake my head. This guy, by all the stats and all the history, was told he wasn't going to play football again, and he didn't let that stop him from coming back and playing good football.

Edited by Thanatos19

Thomas Davis is having a great comeback year. After 3 ACL injuries, it's just crazy that he's able to play at the level that he's playing at; the fact that he's playing at all in amazing. He's definitely apart of the conversation but no doubt in my mind he will fall short of either A.P or Peyton Manning as far as the reward goes. If A.P or Peyton don't get MVP or CBPOTY, that would be completely absurd.

Edited by dutchff7

This is a very difficult question and you can make valid arguments going both ways...

A.P completely tore all the ligaments in his ACL... That is a devastating injury to any RB and a come back isn't usually likely with the position being very strenuous on that particular muscle. Not only did A.P have a come back but he came back having the best season of his career on the verge of breaking 2,000 yards (averaging over 6 yards per carry) and in sights of breaking the all time season rushing record. That is completely unheard of in this league or any sport someone suffering an injury of that magnitude to come back and perform at a high level like he has.

Now for Peyton, some people felt as though he sustained a career ending injury and it was over. Shows how much they knew. The thing about Peytons situation is that he took an entire year off of football. He came back into a completely different scenario playing for a different organization as to where Peterson stayed in the same system. Petyon had to adjust to something completely foreign and he is having major success on a new team. This just shows everyone how great of a player Peyton Manning is. He gelled with his team on the fly in the heat of the season and has the Broncos 10-3 already in the playoffs. That's just unheard of and simply amazing. He's a true leader.

Now, who gets the awards determines on a few things. If A.P breaks Eric Dickerson's all time single season rushing record, A.P gets MVP and Peyton gets CBPOTY. Where I'm struggling at with this decision is if A.P falls short of the record and reaches 2,000 yards. Because A.P is one of my favorite players in the league, I want to still say MVP. But for Peyton to have the success he did with the Colts for over a decade, get injured, take a season off, come back to a new team and still have the same type of success leading his new team to the playoffs, I can't name a player more valuable then that. Peyton gets MVP if Adrian Peterson doesn't break Eric Dickerson's record and A.P gets CBPOTY.

A.P only missed Eric Dickerson's record by 9 yards... He could have easily gotten that at any point of this season... Bottom line is that he fell short. BUT for A.P to run for 2,097 after his injury and CARRY his team to the play offs...

Adrian Peterson (the fucking machine!) MVP :towel:

Peyton Manning CBPOTY

Adrian Peterson took his below .500 team to the play offs and Petyon Manning took the exact team to the play offs that TIM TEBOW did the year before. Who wasn't expecting that? :shrug: