Sign in to follow this  
Vin

UPDATE: Vin Insane, Possibly Suffering from Early Onset Dementia

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell recently told the Florida Times Union that he plans to "build around" Blaine Gabbert as Jacksonville's 2013 starter.

Caldwell noted that Gabbert, 23, is "the second-youngest quarterback in the NFL," and he anticipates a third-year leap. (Caldwell is more optimistic than we are.) "What were they saying about other quarterbacks after their second year?" Caldwell asked rhetorically. "We’re looking for improvement (in year three). We need to build around him. We’ll upgrade whenever we can upgrade." Added new coach Gus Bradley, "(Gabbert) has been very impressive so far in our conversations."

Source: Florida Times Union

:yep:

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The situation is pretty much — no other options worth committing to (rookie QBs don't match Jags position in the draft), FA QBs aren't worth signing, trading for another team's backup isn't attractive value wise. So you might as well see what the kid does in year three. Because, let's be honest, the Jags are lacking in a lot of areas. They aren't going to do much next year. You build up talent, and either Gabbert fails again, and you get a good draft slot with a good QB class coming. Or he actually develops, and you have a QB. All the while you don't reach on a QB this year, and instead stock up on the very deep class of DL, DBs, and OL.

• Upvote 1

He should have just stayed in school...

Good news is... you still have Chad Henne on the bench, and making more than Gabbert.

Sampson sums it up pretty well, but I loved the "(Caldwell is more optimistic than we are)" in the summary article

I'm not a Tebow fan at all, but the Jags should get him. He wouldn't be worse than Gabbert and he would likely rejuvenate a stoic fan base. If not Tebow, go for someone like Flynn or Vick. I'd add in Kirk Cousins but Skins would be smart to hold onto him since RG3 is injury prone. There are QBs out there.

Tebow is shit, and a detriment to ANY team he goes to. A media whore #1, #2 A dogshit QB, worse than any starter in the NFL currently.

If ANYONE honestly thinks that him going to back to his 'hometown' in Florida will do him any good...just ask his fans how they fucking feel about him when the Jags go 0-16 with him running the helm. The man's a joke, and a disgrace to many backups who deserve shots at starting but get thrown under by the 4th string QB Tebow train running to town whenever a trade rumor of a QB for a shitty team arises.

He's not a QB, just a curse.

• Upvote 1

Wow. I am very very impressed by the Jaguars doing this. This is exactly what I thought they should do, but I figured there was no way they would do it. Do NOT reach for a QB, build your team up.

Maybe Gabbert gets better, (maybe pigs fly, too). If not, you build your team, and get ready for next year's draft when you can get a QB.

• Upvote 2

So much for Alex Smith going to the Jags...nice predicting work Madden.

New Jaguars QB coach Frank Scelfo says that Blaine Gabbert would grade out as the No. 1 quarterback in this year's draft class.

In other words, Scelfo claims Gabbert is better than West Virginia's Geno Smith, North Carolina State's Mike Glennon and Arkansas' Tyler Wilson. "Ask the scouting departments and the general managers around the league and I think you would end up with a yes on that," Scelfo said. "Basically at his age, 23, the number-one pick in the draft with two years of experience already under his belt. That's pretty good." It's further proof that the new Jags regime remains high on Gabbert and committed to developing him as their starting quarterback. A realist would point to the former No. 10 overall pick's meager 53.8 career completion percentage and brutal 5.6 yards per attempt through two NFL seasons.

Source: Florida Times Union

A QB with 2 years of experience is better than a fresh batch of rookies who haven't even gone through the combine yet?

Great news. lmao.