Dutch

Rolando McClain retires

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Rolando-McClain-Retires-From-NFL/38deabfe-b59b-43de-88cc-5e43c41d956c

Rolando McClain Retires From NFL

Amidst off-field trouble, LB Rolando McClain is leaving football at 23 years old.

Rolando McClain’s turbulent NFL career is coming to an end at the age of 23.

The Ravens placed the inside linebacker and former first-round pick on the reserve/retired list Wednesday afternoon, General Manager Ozzie Newsome announced.

“Rolando let me know that he plans to retire from the NFL,” Newsome stated. “We have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list.”

McClain signed a one-year contract with the Ravens on April 12, but was arrested just 10 days later in his hometown of Decatur, Ala. It was the latest in a string of off-field problems for McClain since entering the league in 2009 as the eighth-overall pick.

McClain was arrested in December of 2011 and charged with third-degree assault, among others.

In January, he was arrested after an officer pulled him over for a window tint violation. He reportedly pleaded guilty to that charge on May 6 and charges of providing false information were dropped, according to The Baltimore Sun.

McClain’s is due in court on July 9 for his most recent charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

McClain finishes his three-year NFL career with 274 tackles (195 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble and 23 passes defensed in 41 career games with Oakland.

The Ravens now have one less inside linebacker, but did select Arthur Brown in the second round of the NFL draft. That leaves Brown and Jameel McClain as the likely starters, with Josh Bynes and Albert McClellan as the top challengers.

:facepalm:

Dude will end up in prison soon enough. He ain't got no time for the NFL.

Titus Young and him should team up, they could be the modern day Bonnie and Clyde.

• Upvote 1

Titus Young and him should team up, they could be the modern day Bonnie and Clyde.

It's gonna be a battle between McClain and Cliff Harris, right now I give a slight edge to Harris and his 3 arrests in 9 days.

Wow, wasn't McClain a TOP 10 pick just a few years ago? I really liked McClain coming out of the draft too. What a shame.

It's gonna be a battle between McClain and Cliff Harris, right now I give a slight edge to Harris and his 3 arrests in 9 days.

I would say that, but what about being arrested EVERY time in the same place. The dude could have been a good one and now his dumb ass will be suckin dick for crack in 2 years.... What a shame.

Wow what a waste...

Per Rotoworld.com:

A source tells Profootballtalk that retired ILB Rolando McClain "wants to focus solely on getting himself together before continuing his football career."

In other words, McClain will be back in the NFL -- perhaps next season -- if he can keep himself out of trouble and take care of all of his legal issues. The Ravens have offered to be a resource for McClain, and they'll stash him on the reserve/retired list in order to have him under contract once/if he returns. The tough part for McClain is going to be the whole staying out of trouble thing. May 15 - 9:31 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Retired linebacker Rolando McClain has re-enrolled at the University of Alabama.

In a media Q&A, Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban revealed that McClain is back in school. When he retired last month, McClain said he was focused on getting his "personal life together." It appears McClain is doing just that by attempting to earn his degree before potentially returning to the NFL.

Source: Andrew Gribble on Twitter

Awesome news for him. Hope he stays on this path and gets his life together.

Roll tide

all jokes aside, you do have to wonder if Young provided a wakeup call for McClain, either way, just being willing to step away from the game and all that comes with it is a huge step toward getting his personal life together and tells you a lot about his mindset at this point, I wish him the best and hope to see him back in the league

Edited by oochymp

Ex-Alabama LB Rolando McClain eyes return to NFL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000253847/article/exalabama-lb-rolando-mcclain-eyes-return-to-nfl

Former Alabama LB Rolando McClain, the No. 8 pick in the 2010 draft, retired from the NFL after just three years.

Former Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain, retired at age 24 just three years into a troubled NFL career, plans at some point to return to pro football, his agent said.

McClain, drafted No. 8 overall by the Oakland Raiders in 2010, never played to the level his five-year, $40 million rookie contract demanded. Off the field, he was arrested multiple times, the most serious of which stemmed from an incident in which he allegedly threatened to kill a man and discharged a firearm near the victim's head during an altercation. McClain was suspended by the Raiders near the end of his third season, and eventually retired.

The situation in Baltimore was a brief chance at redemption provided to McClain by former Alabama star Ozzie Newsome, the Ravens' general manager. After McClain was cut by Oakland, he was given a one-year contract by the Ravens. Soon after, McClain was arrested again for disorderly conduct, then announced his retirement. Subsequently, he re-enrolled at Alabama to try to complete his education, and has spent some time as a student assistant in Nick Saban's program."I admire the kid for coming back to Tuscaloosa, going to class and trying to get everything in his life outside of football situated," Pat Dye Jr. said, according to al.com. "It's not my decision to come back or not come back. I think ultimately he wants to play again. He's only 24 years old. He's talented. It's just a shame. It was such a great situation there in Baltimore."

"It will be interesting to see what happens because the guy they signed to basically replace (McClain),Daryl Smith, is playing really well. I think there are other inside backers who are relatively unproven guys. I think Ozzie has very fond feelings for the kid and wants to see him be successful," added Dye Jr.

Retired ILB Rolando McClain will meet with Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome on Friday.
McClain is meeting with Newsome to "discuss a possible future" in Baltimore, but it's possible he'll be granted his release. The Ravens still own McClain's rights following his abrupt 2013 "retirement." "I’m excited about the game again," McClain said. "I’m excited to play. I’m excited to be around some damn teammates." McClain was a major bust before hanging up his cleats, but is still only 24 years old. He should at least be able to crack someone's offseason roster, perhaps even Baltimore's.
Source: Carroll County Times

It sounds like he is actually wanting to be a Raven, which I am pretty damn excited about. I think he can be an amazing asset as a 2 down linebacker and maybe 3 if his coverage improves and then let Arthur Brown sit until Rolando ups his trade value.

Retired ILB Rolando McClain worked out for the Ravens on Tuesday.
That's the good news. The bad news, according to NFL Network and the Baltimore Sun, is that McClain was not only out of shape, but showed up late. McClain just doesn't get it. Although he's still only 24, the odds are against him cracking someone's 53-man roster this season.
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Raiders_McClain_Football-ALDEC201-0.JPG.One more time :D

The conditioning test free agent ILB Rolando McClain failed for the Ravens Tuesday was an interval sprint.
The Ravens ask players to run 25 yards up and back three times, for a total of 150 yards. They're asked to do this sprint six times and hit target durations, with a one minute break in between intervals. McClain simply couldn't get through it -- and also showed up late for his workout.
Related: Ravens
Source: Baltimore Sun

ILB Rolando McClain is retiring from football again.

McClain showed up late for a conditioning test with the Ravens last Tuesday and then failed it. "If football made me complete I would play," he said in a text to ESPN. "But whenever I think of it my heart pulls me away from whatever reason. ... I'm done." McClain, the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft, played in 41 career games. He's just 24 years old.

• Upvote 1

lmao

I hope he somehow got a signing bonus from the Ravens and that he gets to keep it. Fuck the Ravens, lol.

• Upvote 1