Dutch

Let's put this to bed. Give me Andrew Luck.

Andrew Luck is the 24th best player in football now guys.

Yes, let's put this to bed indeed.

You can have him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great post dutchff7 and excellent job putting all that together.

Once again though as a side note, I would like to give a shout out to Reggie Wayne because I often feel he does not get enough love from even the Colts fanbase. He was ridiculously valuable in leading and mentoring the youth on the Colts last year and is continuing to do so along with making critical catches on the field. He has always been very close to Chuck Pagano too and took it to heart when he became ill.

I was pleased to see him have so much success with a rookie QB because for so many years many claimed that he was a product of Manning and our offense and I always felt it was BS.

He did not have to stay with the Colts either after Irsay cleaned house....word always was that he had a few offers from more "Super Bowl ready" teams. One rumor was the Patriots but it never was confirmed. He wanted to be here and he wanted to help because the Colts are part of who he is. And he said last offseason that it was not written in stone the Colts would stink....and he was right.

Much work to be done on the Colts to further the journey. But, win or lose I can almost promise that on a weekly basis they will fight hard....and as a fan sometimes that is all you can ask for is to see your team lay it out there on the line every single week.

Edited by Jules

Also people seem to forget that the Redskins and Seahawks had two of the best rushing attacks in the league last year. Luck had no help whatsoever. He basically shouldered the entire load of the offense himself. I don't understand how anyone could call him overrated.

and people who point that out seem to forget that to say that RG3 and Wilson had a significant impact on their respective rushing attacks is an understatement

IMO Arians went away from the run too much, even when it was working. :shrug: Just how I always felt. I feel as if its been since nearly the 2006 season since the Colts have had a consistent run game.

But, honestly there is no doubt all the young QBs did well last year. I don't think anyone is going to get a mass internet award on it either. :p

Some prefer Luck, some prefer someone else. So be it.

I prefer Luck but I have no problems if anyone doesn't. I also remember Peyton Manning's 3-13 rookie season with even more interceptions then Luck had. Granted the games have changed some so I hate to do the comparison thing.

But, rookies should be able to muck up at times and be given that right. They need room for improvement anyway.....

JMO

Also people seem to forget that the Redskins and Seahawks had two of the best rushing attacks in the league last year. Luck had no help whatsoever. He basically shouldered the entire load of the offense himself. I don't understand how anyone could call him overrated.

That rushing attack in Washington was in large part due to the multiple threat RG3 presents. It was nice to see Morris banging into linebackers 5 yards downfield, because half the DL was keyed on something else.

I think Luck is greatness in the making. But I'm glad my team got RG3.

~Bang

Yes, let's put this to bed indeed.

You can have him.

Says the guy that has Aaron Rodgers... I wish I could. You would too with our roster :laugh:

Edited by dutchff7

I think Luck is greatness in the making. But I'm glad my team got RG3.~Bang

Yep. I think we are all happy with the young QBs we currently have whether you are a Colts/Redskins/Seahawks/49ers fan. Which is great.

I will say this though....the NFC is becoming freaking loaded at QB. :panic::yep:

and people who point that out seem to forget that to say that RG3 and Wilson had a significant impact on their respective rushing attacks is an understatement

They both post a big threat in the running game, yes. But the Redskins also have Alfred Morris and the Seahawks also have Marshawn Lynch. Who do the Colts have?

If Indy had a guy with the talent of either of those guys, Luck would have had a far easier time. Which is what I was getting at...

Vick Ballard is just fine.... and Ahmad Bradshaw is a borderline top 10 runner.

Rg3 benefited from the play action so much because of Alfred Morris. Granted, RG3 opened up lanes for Morris but Morris created a lot of plays on his own breaking tackles being top 3 in yards after contact. It's more of a symbiotic relationship. Both RG3 and Russell Wilson had 1500-1600 yard rushers to support them. If you take out Luck's runs, the Colts back field attempted 378 carries for only 1416 yards; 3.7 ypc. Luck also accounted for just 1 less TD than all his backs combined.

That's something that I acknowledged. It's a symbiotic relationship though. While scrambling QBs do open up lanes for the RBs, the RBs create their own plays too by breaking tackles and getting yards after contact. Also, Marshawn Lynch was doing that before Wilson got there. The QBs benefited equally from the RBs making plays. Having a scrambling QB doesn't automatically warrant the type of production Morris and Lynch put up.

Edited by dutchff7

^Yes that is a great unintentional play with words.

I will say this. You can't go wrong with a man named Luck wearing the horse shoe.

Good things are often bound to happen that cannot be predicted!!!! It's a "Luck" thing.

:grinno: :)

Edited by Jules
  • Upvote 1

Luck's schedule is also far far easier than the one Wilson had. How do you take that into account?

Luck's schedule is also far far easier than the one Wilson had. How do you take that into account?

In the AFC the top QB situation is basically an aging Manning/Brady, an injury prone Big Ben and some arguments over Flacco being elite. Oh and the yearly "Is this the year Rivers comes back" conversation.

We are a sorry bunch at times in the AFC. *ashamed*

:yep:

I fully admit Luck is likely in a better situation for the future in the AFC in terms of year to year consistent competitiveness we see. I feel the NFC is MUCH more competitive and tougher at times to get into the playoffs in recent seasons.

Keep in mind outside the Colts statistical issues in 2012 and all the rookies and the coaching change and all kinds of strange crap.....they only finished ONE GAME behind the mighty balanced Houston Texans. ONE FREAKING GAME. Maybe this does not happen again but with the Texans trend of late season swoons/inability to EVER win in Indy I don't think the AFC South is impossible to seize again either in the future if the Colts can "clean up" some glaring weaknesses. I am not saying we WILL win the South but I am saying it is not impossible either.

I would much rather fight with the Texans every year then say fight with the 49ers if I am being completely honest. It's not even close to me!

I don't believe the Colts are at the level of the Ravens yet for example and the playoff loss showed us how far we have to go. But, I still believe we are playoff worthy and potentially will be again.

Edit: I also mean no disrespect to the Texans who I feel are one of the best teams around. Just saying that I am more scared of a team like the 49ers and would be if they were in the same conference as the Colts for years to come....

Edited by Jules

The whole, Luck is being asked to do far more is becoming so played out. What a player is asked to do, and what he actually does is two complete distinct things.

Luck did do way more though. The stats and tape shows it. As far as the distinction comment, my entire post is about what he did do; the product he put out on the field. I only compared what he was asked to do with the other rookies.

It's crazy how much a couple wins through mostly luck and easy scheduling can change people's perspective of a player.

How was it mostly luck? What is your definition of Luck? Some tip passes for TDs? Fumbles into the endzones and recover? Extreme blown coverages? Bad refereeing?

Edited by dutchff7

Gonna chime in on this one. Luck has all the tools to be an upper echelon QB. As a Panther fan I initally was disappointed he decided to go back to Stanford when he was projected to be our QB. I am glad he did.

Either you are strictly talking rookies or blantantly disrespecting Cam Newton and maybe even C. Kaepernick. While he had bad 1st half (mostly because the OC could not get his head out of his ASS and realize the read option wasn't working) He clearly showed he is as good if not better than all three mentioned in the last half of the season.

Luck broke his rookie record and congrats to it. But it took him over 100 more attempts to do it. Luck had some good wins.

24th? IMO way way way too high. Luck is a product of the media blitz. They have been molding his bust for the HOF since he was at Stanford. His numbers were good and his "W" are commendable but he gets far too much credit for those wins and not enough blame on the "L".

I think of the 3 rookies, Luck will have the better season in year 2. He is primarily a pocket QB and RGIII uses his running ability to excel. And he has already suffered another knee injury. (had one in College). Wilson is 2nd behind Luck as he uses his mobility to extend plays and not run so much.

I will say, all these FIVE young QBs are exciting and hopefully will be around a long time.

Put any in a basket and pull their name out and your team still has a chance to be successful.

Luck did do way more though. The stats and tape shows it. As far as the distinction comment, my entire post is about what he did do; the product he put out on the field. I only compared what he was asked to do in comparison with the other rookies.

How was it mostly luck? What is your definition of Luck? Some tip passes for TDs? Fumbles into the endzones and recover? Extreme blown coverages?

The stats show it? Simply because he threw the ball a lot and has a lot of yards show that he did more? Because after all, God forbid if he completed more then 55% percent he wouldn't have to throw the ball more...

It's been wildly proven that when a majority of your games are won/lost by 7 points or less, luck (the real luck not the human Luck) played a factor.

I'm not going into details (unless if you really want me to) because these findings are all over the internet, but look no further then the game against Detroit. Where 2 easy dropped INTs in his GWD occurred.

Or, you can look at the enigma that is somehow winning 10 games when your team finishes the year with a negative point differential.

If were going to base this PURELY on stats.

Luck is getting overrated by many. He is probably going to be a good QB. But his rookie year was not as great as people keep making it out to be. His completion rating sucked, he threw 18 INTs. Of the recent QBs (*rookie* Newton, Wilson, RG3) Lucks yard per pass was the lowest. He also had the worst completion %.

Lets break the Interception per pass too.

Luck - 34.8

Wilson - 39.3

Griffin - 78.6

Tannehill - 37.2

I understand Luck threw a lot more passes, but he also threw a helluva a lot more INTs. Tannehill probably had the worst supporting cast of them all and still threw less interceptions per pass.

Well, since everyone keeps overlooking him...I'll take Wilson.

If we are picking "best young upcoming QB" I'd actually lean towards Bradford.