KempBolt

2010 Draft Review

I like to look back after about 3 seasons and look at how players met or failed to meet my expectations. Just looking at the first round. It's interesting to see how accurate you were. I'm just going to highlight the picks where I was way off.

1. Sam Bradford, QB, Rams: I definitely was of the opinion that Bradford would be a top end QB relatively quickly in the NFL. Maybe this will be "his year" but my guess at the time was that he'd be a couple good seasons into a great career by this point.

5. Eric Berry, S, Chiefs: Like most people, I was really high on Berry. Thought he'd be a top end player from day one. He was pretty good as a rookie, missed the 2011 season, and had a hard time last season. He has time to reach his potential, but I didn't think it would take this long.

15. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, Giants: I thought that JPP was going to be a giant bust. While he hasn't exactly kept up the elite play we saw in 2011, he's far from that. I am generally pretty skeptical of guys with so-so production on a lower level of competition.

21. Jermaine Gresham, TE, Bengals: Gresham looked to me like the next dominating pass catcher at TE. It's not that he's been a bust, but injuries and inconsistency have limited his production a lot more than I expected.

26. Dan Williams, NT, Cardinals: I was really high on Williams. He's developed into a solid starter, but I was calling for him to go much higher than 26 and be an impact guy right away. Nose tackles generally take time to hit their stride, but even then it's taken him a while.

31. Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, Colts: Hughes was one of my favorite pass rushers in this class and I was surprised to see him struggle so much in the NFL. Definitely didn't see him winding up on another club by his 4th NFL season.

The Eagles traded way up for Brandon Graham in this draft. Graham has been very good, but in hindsight, the draftniks who said we should have gotten Earl Thomas were right.

• Upvote 1

:Texans:

1st Round

Kareem Jackson, CB: Has been shaping up into a very solid starting cornerback after two disastrous seasons under terrible coaching. Finally living up to his first round draft grade.

2nd Round

Ben Tate, RB: Was originally drafted to be the starting running back, but a season ending injury paved the way for Arian Foster to run away with the job. He hits free agency after this season, and my money is on Tate landing a nice contract with a good shot at being the starter for a team next season.

3rd Round

Earl Mitchell, NT: First year as the starting nose tackle, and looks like he could be a staple of the Texans defensive line for years to come.

4th Round

Darryl Sharpton, ILB: Sharpton's biggest issue has been his health. When he's on the field, he is a starting caliber linebacker. Should see a lot of playing time next to Cushing IF he can stay healthy.

Garrett Graham, TE: Graham has worked his way into the #2 tight end role in this offense, and could eventually see himself become the starter as Owen Daniels isn't getting any younger. He has very reliable hands, and an underrated blocker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone else drafted is no longer on the team, but over all I'd say this draft class is deserving of at least a B- grade for Rick Smith. Five solid building blocks in one draft is not too shabby.

:Texans:

1st Round

Kareem Jackson, CB: Has been shaping up into a very solid starting cornerback after two disastrous seasons under terrible coaching. Finally living up to his first round draft grade.

2nd Round

Ben Tate, RB: Was originally drafted to be the starting running back, but a season ending injury paved the way for Arian Foster to run away with the job. He hits free agency after this season, and my money is on Tate landing a nice contract with a good shot at being the starter for a team next season.

3rd Round

Earl Mitchell, NT: First year as the starting nose tackle, and looks like he could be a staple of the Texans defensive line for years to come.

4th Round

Darryl Sharpton, ILB: Sharpton's biggest issue has been his health. When he's on the field, he is a starting caliber linebacker. Should see a lot of playing time next to Cushing IF he can stay healthy.

Garrett Graham, TE: Graham has worked his way into the #2 tight end role in this offense, and could eventually see himself become the starter as Owen Daniels isn't getting any younger. He has very reliable hands, and an underrated blocker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone else drafted is no longer on the team, but over all I'd say this draft class is deserving of at least a B- grade for Rick Smith. Five solid building blocks in one draft is not too shabby.

If the Texans can find a way to keep Tate they should do it. Even if it means eating some of Arian's contract. Both would obviously be ideal.

The Eagles traded way up for Brandon Graham in this draft. Graham has been very good, but in hindsight, the draftniks who said we should have gotten Earl Thomas were right.

A lot of pundits thought we were taking ET when we traded up to #12. Eric Weddle and Earl Thomas playing next to each other... that would have been nice. Buy yay Ryan Mathews I guess.

:49ers:

11th overall - Anthony Davis. Really turned his career around last season and see if that continues.

17th overall - Mike Iupati. One of the best Guards in the entire NFL.

Taylor Mays - next ( is he even in the NFL)

3rd Round- NaVorro Bowman - (Steal because he ran a 4.6) man that is so slow!

Anthony Dixon - decent goaline back and contributor on ST

Nate Byham (no longer on team)

Kyle Williams - shitty WR with good speed, also a loser on ST

Phillip Adams (no longer on team)

Overall a nice draft for the 49ers.

Seattle killed this draft. Still with the team in bold:

R1 (6) Russell Okung pro bowl LT

R1 (14) Earl Thomas 1st team All Pro FS

R2 (40) Traded in part for Charlie Whitehurst and R2 (60)

R2 (60) Golden Tate WR

R3 (70) Traded in 2009 by POS Tim Ruskell. May God have mercy on the souls of whatever team gives him a job.

R4 (104) Traded with R6 (176) for Lendale White, Kevin Vickerson R4 (111) and R6 (185)

R4 (111) Walter Thurmond CB

R4 (127) Acquired in trade for Darryl Tapp. EJ Wilson and Chris Clemons pro bowl DE

R5 (133) Acquired in trade for Rob Sims G. Selected Kam Chancellor pro bowl SS

R5 (139) Traded to NY Jets for R7 (236) and Leon Washington RB

R6 (185) Anthony McCoy TE

R7 (236) Dexter Davis LB

While Leon Washington is no longer with the team, he certainly was an immediate win on that trade. Seattle added 8 players that contributed significantly since 2010, and of those 8, six have gone on to earn pro bowl honors.

I'm really glad we passed on Jason Pierre-Paul for Aaron Curry. That said, Earl Thomas completely made up for it.

I'm really glad we passed on Jason Pierre-Paul for Aaron Curry. That said, Earl Thomas completely made up for it.

We passed on JPP for Earl Thomas. Curry was in 2009.

Although the stench of that pick certainly lingered for more than one season. So the error is understandable.

It could have been worse. We could have picked Sanchez. That pick set back the Jets half a decade.

The 2010 draft was hit and miss for the Bucs. We hit big with Gerald McCoy and Mike Williams but struck out HARD with Brian Price and Arrelious Benn. Not to mention Myron Lewis. Dekoda Watson, Cody Grimm and Erik Lorig have contributed to the team as late round picks even though Grimm was recently cut.

Packers 2010 draft hasn't been much to write home about. Lots of talent, can't stay healthy. Bulaga and Burnett can still be nice players, and Starks could find a niche if he could be consistent with his health.

• Upvote 1

1. Joe Haden

- Obviously the right call. I remember wanting Derrick Morgan over him. I'm retarded.

2. TJ Ward

- Another good call. Everyone thought it was a bit of a reach at that spot but nope

3. (Round 2) Montario Hardesty

- Poor guy gets tapped on the shoulder and dies. Made of glass. On the sideline so often I occasionally doubt his existence.

4. Colt McCoy

- Fuck Colt the Dolt. Terrified of playing in the NFL.

5. Shawn Lauvao

- Still plays on our OL, but he's always the weak link when he's in there.

6. Larry Asante

- Never played for us, was cut out of camp despite being a 5th rounder.

7. Carlton Mitchell

- Receiver that disappointed me in never developing into a valuable piece. I can only remember him being active 2-3 times.

8. Clifton Geathers

- Still hanging around in the league I think. Became expendable after we switched to the 4-3 following the 2010 season when we hired Pat the Doormat as coach.

Quite possibly the worst draft in Ravens history. We got Dennis Pitta and Art Jones out of it.

Other than that it is Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, Ed Dickson, David Reed, and Ramon Harewood.

Well we picked up the great Tim Tebow and a bunch of scrubs. Also Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. They're quite good.

2010 class was a good one for the Steelers. Selected Maurkice Pouncey, Jason Worilds and Emmanuel Sanders with our first three picks and got Antonio Brown in 6th round.

Holy cow that draft was a disaster for us. I hated taking Spiller, but he's worked out pretty well. Other than that, the 2nd best player is Arthur "Dont Cross The" Moats. I like him (especially for ending Favre's streak) but thats a sad draft.

1st round: Devin McCourty: Safe to say this was a hit. Really a stabilizing player at safety for us now.

2nd round: Rob Gronkowski: BINGO

2nd round: Jermaine Cunningham, DL: Bust.

2nd round: Brandon Spikes: BINGO

3rd round: Taylor Price, WR: Monumental bust.

4th round: Aaron Hernandez: :inouteek:

5th round: Zoltan Mesko, P: Was solid while he was here. We just cut him this year though.

This was probably BB's best draft. Was the start of the 2-TE movement that so many teams emulate now. Hit on the 1st round pick which is crucial. And Spikes has been a staple of this D for years now.

Edited by BradyFan81