Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Dallas/Denver Deciding Moment, Not the One You Think it Was

Tony's throw was a questionable decision that led to a video game pick by a linebacker who's good, but not normally going to make that play. That turned the tide, was perhaps the icing on the cake, but it was NOT the defining moment in this game.

There was still time in the fourth quarter. Dallas had just gained the lead, had just delivered an unnecessary pooch kick when they'd kicked it out of the end zone for most of the day. The Broncos had good starting position, and quickly moved down the field, though they had yet to enter the red zone. Standing slightly split out to the right was Wes Welker, a wide receiver who'd been controlled all day by the underrated and overall unfairly hated (by most Cowboy fans) Orlando Scandrick. Though Welker had scored a touchdown, he'd been blanketed on the play and made an excellent catch on an excellent throw. In all honesty, he'd yet to do anything today. Scandrick ,the feisty and physical #32 in Cowboys silver and blue, was delivering his second consecutive great performance against the gritty and normally unstoppable Welker.

Either just out of the red zone or just in, Peyton Manning drops back to pass, and Monte Kiffin calls the unthinkable, the absolutely absurd play call that never should have entered his mind--a defensive play call that didn't involve Orlando Scandrick glued to Wes Welker. I believe (I missed the first half of the play, was cooking supper) the senile Kiffin had blitzed Scandrick, leaving the savvy veteran Ernie Sims to cover Welker. Needless to say, it didn't pan out. Dallas' DL wasn't healthy, a far less than 100% DeMarcus Ware had yet to sniff Denver QB Peyton Manning, and George Selvie had only tried to break Peyton Manning's neck, so far. The blitz didn't get there. #18 recognized the mismatch and it #83 for a sizable gain that setup the tying score. At that point, the stage was set for Trevathan's video game INT followed by Thomas' video game catch. It was over.

Fuck you and your heavily studied, easily schemed against, and more often than not eviscerated defense, Monte Kiffin.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I thought Romo had a pretty great game. I watched the game mostly from start-to-finish, and I can't say I'd put all the blame on Romo's pick. Was it a big factor at the end? Yeah; of course, and there's really no denying that. But I think that the defense giving up 51 points is a bigger factor than a pick among 506 yards and 5 TD throws.

I thought Romo had a pretty great game. I watched the game mostly from start-to-finish, and I can't say I'd put all the blame on Romo's pick. Was it a big factor at the end? Yeah; of course, and there's really no denying that. But I think that the defense giving up 51 points is a bigger factor than a pick among 506 yards and 5 TD throws.

At the same time, consider the play I just mentioned. How dumb is that of Monte Kiffin?

At the same time, consider the play I just mentioned. How dumb is that of Monte Kiffin?

I still don't think a single play lost this game for the Cowboys. Was it a bad play? Perhaps, but people trying to pin this game on a single play on either side of the ball are just ignoring the fact that the Cowboys lost because their defense as a unit was thrashed.

I think both defenses performed badly. It was a shoot out and Romo was at his best but Peyton is better.

Once you let Peyton roll out for a TD there's something wrong.

• Upvote 1

Once you let Peyton roll out for a TD there's something wrong.

You mean dumbass DWare running right past him? God. I'm getting real sick of #94's mistakes. I'm starting to question his elite player status.

Quick note: In their last two matchups, Orlando Scandrick has held Wes Welker to just over 100 years. 50some yards when Welker was with the Pats two years ago, 49 today. Welker does have two TDs on Scandrick on perfect throws in blanket coverage, but for all intents and purposes, Scandrick has made Welker invisible on most passing downs.

The problem i have with Romo throwing a pick is that it happens way too much for him. Clutch moments in the end he just seems to be that guy who has everything going against him. Is it always his fault? No. But most of the time its on him. Yes Monte fucked up on playcalling. The Broncos picked it apart all day. He had to try something. But tie game, the Cowboys still had their chance to at LEAST get a FG in. With how far they had to go they would of killed the clock and kicked the GW FG with no time left.

But Romo throws a non surprising pick AGAIN that fucks his team over in the end. Was it all his fault? No, the defense was complete shit. Dez had a fumble if i recall. You could even look at a what would could of been. In the 2nd Q, Cowboys had it in the redzone 1st and goal i believe. They get knocked back to the 20 and have to kick a FG. 17-7 Cowboys.. If they punched that in, they are up 2 TDS. Big difference to just 10.

Either way, Romo cannot escape making or being in a bad play in the final moments of the game when the Cowboys need a big play. Instead its a big play for the other team. Romos big day didnt matter after that pick.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Outside of an analytic view, it's just kinda funny at this point. My dad predicted the moment. I was dreading the inevitable and praying it wasn't going to happen. The guy just put up ridiculous, franchise-record numbers, arguably outplayed an elite QB that is shitting on teams right now, and after scoring 48 points in three and a half quarters throws the game-ending pick.

You can make an argument for anything. But after seeing what happens like clockwork time and time again, it looks stupid digging deep every play trying to make a case for Tony. It's a double-edged sword. Dallas was in that winning position mainly because of Romo. He carried the team. I don't know if I've ever seen him light it up like that before making play after play.

This is the enigma known as Tony Romo.

• Upvote 2

Manning threw for over 400 yards and had four players not named Welker who each had 5+ receptions for 57+ yards, isn't it possible that Welker was limited not because of Scandrick's amazing defense but because Manning has a lot of other tools at his disposal?

• Upvote 1

While Romo doesn't deserve all the blame for the loss- when you put up 48 points, you should win- the fact remains that the game was tied, they could have driven down for the GW FG and taken the clock down to virtually nil while doing so, and Romo threw yet another bad pass that was picked off in a key pressure situation.

LOLROMO.gif

People can say what they want. Yes, Romo was the SOLE reason the Cowboys ever had a chance with how bad their defense was but with the game in his hands he was the reason why they lost. I don't care how anyone tries to put it but Romo's ill advised throw was the dagger that ultimately lost them the game.

In crunch time situations like this, nothing else before this play matters because the game is solely in Romo's hands and the fate of the Cowboys rested upon it. Romo was in full control of the game and at this point you either win the game or lose the game; no in between. In these situations, Romo crumbles. It's 2nd down and the Cowboys have 2 time outs left and a two minute warning. It's no reason for him to make this throw. If you look at the GIF, he could of easily checked it down to Demarco Murray who is wide open in the middle of the field and live another day.

I don't care to hear the excuses of how Romo played amazing the entire game except for one play when it mattered the most. Romo had a historic day and is in the 500 yard club and threw for 5 TDs. That's simply incredible. However, it all goes down the drain when you throw the game away. That's like if I made excuses for Mcnabb about how he took us to so many big games but then he choked on his dick in the big games. Almost doesn't cut it. Romo is a good QB but he doesn't have the mental toughness to be a closer. He always does bone headed stuff and throws the game away when it matters.

So if fans and others want to continue making excuses for Romo about how amazing he was and disregard the fact that he screwed up when it really mattered, continue because as long as he continues to do that, you guys will continue making excuses for the losses he racks up making bone headed plays when the game is on the line.

Edited by Dutch
paragraphs

I think the reason people get on Romo's case so much is mainly due to how many times people have seen this exact scenario play out over his career. People have come to see him only as the guy who always throws that pick at the end of a close game. The guy who has never won anything, who has one career playoff win, and yet whose team pays and praises him as if he's a multiple time Superbowl champion. The guy who threw a pick to end their last season and still got a bigger deal than the Superbowl MVP. In their eyes he's nothing but an over-payed fraud. Is that fair? No. absolutely not. Unfortunately it's probably not going to change until Romo gets a ring on his finger. If he ever does.

No, Romo is definitely not your problem. Your problem is that hes being forced to compensate for a defense that couldn't stop a nosebleed. Ware isn't himself. I'm not sure if it's the chronic stingers, if this new defense is messing with him, or if he's just older and slower, but he definitely isn't the way he was and at this stage in his career he may never be again. With him not playing up to par your decision not to draft any d-line help is starting to show. You're not getting pressure on opposing QBs, and your secondary is just giving away yardage. This is exactly what happens when the guy in charge of building your team only cares about the skill positions. You end up with a team that gets crushed at the line on both sides of the ball, and it comes down to forcing your QB to run around being a gunslinger.

Unfortunately the downside of making your QB a gunslinger is he'll eventually throw a pick. Favre was just as known for it as Romo, but Favre had more post season success. As I said, not fair, but those playoff wins gave Favre the public perception of being "clutch" while Romo not begin able to cover up all the Cowboys' flaws all by himself has led to hm being viewed as a choker. Whether or not Romo wins the big one, I think eventually history will look back and conclude he was judged unfairly. Whether he deserves to be mentioned among the elite I can't say yet, but he definitely isn't a loser or a failure. I believe the truth to be somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Jayrus
  • Upvote 2

Manning threw for over 400 yards and had four players not named Welker who each had 5+ receptions for 57+ yards, isn't it possible that Welker was limited not because of Scandrick's amazing defense but because Manning has a lot of other tools at his disposal?

No. Welker was rarely open. Scandrick blanketed him.

We talk about how many times Romo has done this, as if it's happened 9 or 10 times. I don't think I can even think of five scenarios when this happened.

Only the Seattle playoff game can rest on his shoulders, though the refs never switched to the kicking ball, for some reason. Let's not forget that, as the starting quarterback, he should have been able to relinquish kick-holding duties, anyway. Parcells was a moron to leave that pressure on him. He didn't lose any of Dallas' other playoff games. His teammates did.

The Jets game comes to mind. Last year's season ender comes to mind. The year before, when they played NYG for the division, they got crushed as a team--there was nothing Romo could do.

We're not talking about this happening over and over and over again. We remember 3 or 4 times like it happens every time, which has been proven over and over again that it doesn't happen nearly as much as people think.

People have Twitterfits every time Romo has a 3 or 4 INT game. Every QB has 1-2 of those a year, and Romo's no different.

You're all overreacting to the scenario that just happens to play out when you're watching.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I will say that the TE ran a bad route. I think he and Tony had a mis-communication there. The INT is not entirely on Romo.

I will say that the TE ran a bad route. I think he and Tony had a mis-communication there. The INT is not entirely on Romo.

I question Escobar being in there in the first place. He's not lighting it up, and Witten and Hanna are probably less likely to fuck something up.

Gavin Escobar has a bright future, but he's got a long way to go, as of now.

I was so happy to see Terrance Williams play well.

Or he could have just thrown it to the wide open Demarco Murray. It was a risky throw period compared to when you have a wide open player. It was an ill advised throw period.

• Upvote 1

Tony Romo should've checked down on INT, coach says

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258653/article/tony-romo-shouldve-checked-down-on-int-coach-says

Tony Romo's interception heard around the NFL world never should have been thrown, according toDallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.

Schein: Romo haters way off base
0ap1000000053195.jpgTony Romo threw for 506 yards and five TDs. He outplayed Peyton Manning. So critics of the CowboysQB should pipe down,Adam Schein says. READ

Speaking to reporters Monday, Garrett said Romo should have checked the ball down to running back DeMarco Murray rather than try to squeeze it to tight end Gavin Escobar.

After the game, which can be seen again at 9 p.m. ET Wednesday on NFL Network, Romo said he didn't put the ball where he wanted. But Garrett is right that the decision, not the accuracy, was the bigger problem. Of course, the defense was by far biggest issue on a day when theCowboys gave up 51 points. Romo played fantastic overall, although you wouldn't know it reading articles after the game.

nflnetworklogo_replay.gifOn NFL Network

NFL Replay will re-air a special 3.5-hour version of the Denver Broncos' 51-48 win over the Dallas Cowboys from Week 5 on Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. ET.

» NFL Network schedule

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones called the loss a "moral victory." This really happened. Jones also said he understands why Dallas struggled so much against Peyton Manning, and he isn't concerned with defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

"Knowing my expectations playing Denver and playingPeyton Manning coming in," Jones said ESPNDallas.com. "I'm going to cut him some slack."

Moral victories and the cutting of slack: A Monday Dallas tradition for much of Jones' tenure running the Cowboys

Or he could have just thrown it to the wide open Demarco Murray. It was a risky throw period compared to when you have a wide open player. It was an ill advised throw period.

You have an article supporting the claim now, so there isn't much reason to carry on.. However, it was just a horrible decision. Granted, Trevathan made a great play... But he was right on his assignment the entire time. Tony practically floated a pass to his covered TE without stepping up into the throw at all. The mind set, the decision, the execution... So all off on that play. Yes, Bware will tell us how Trevathan's grab is like a once in a lifetime never-before-seen INT, but that just simply isn't the case.... Tony fucked up. It happens... A lot.

Edited by Favre4Ever

You have an article supporting the claim now, so there isn't much reason to carry on.. However, it was just a horrible decision. Granted, Trevathan made a great play... But he was right on his assignment the entire time. Tony practically floated a pass to his covered TE without stepping up into the throw at all. The mind set, the decision, the execution... So all off on that play. Yes, Bware will tell us how Trevathan's grab is like a once in a lifetime never-before-seen INT, but that just simply isn't the case.... Tony fucked up. It happens... A lot.

List or you're wrong.

WHOOPS. Sorry Dutch, accidentally 'edited' your post instead o making a reply. My bad, bro.

Anyway:

Didn't say it was the end to anything. Just commenting further that it was indeed a horrible decision by Romo... Bware what's everyone to believe Tony didn't do anything wrong on that play and we will never see an INT like that ever again.

Just isn't the case.

Horrible read, horrible throw, horrible mechanics in general. Tony didn't really do a single thing right on that play. That's all.

There's your list. The fact is, with Romo as the starting QB, Dallas has made the playoffs TWICE. This year they probably make it practically by default. It's not like he's had no help. The Cowboys have had some really talented teams and at the end of the day when you have a talented team and an "elite QB" you expect that QB to be able to at the very least take you to the playoffs. You can make all the excuses you want for the guy but the fact is that every elite QB in the league plays on imperfect teams. Roethlisberger has never had an offensive line and hasn't had a running game since Willie Parker. Drew Brees has pretty much always had a bad defense in NO. Rodgers gets sacked like 40 times a year and plays with a below average defense. Tom Brady hasn't had a defense in years. Now he has one, but no receivers and his team is still 4-1. You can go down the list. You don't have to make excuses for those guys. They don't always get the job done. Nobody is perfect but more often than not they do. Tony has always been a really talented guy. That's been obvious since day one, but come on. He's just not clutch. He can't get it done.

• Upvote 1

Are you seriously trying to count 44-6, 34-3, and the Giants playoff loss on Romo when his team was just obliterated in two of them and in the other he had countless drops that made it a game in the first place? Don't be ridiculous. Those losses aren't on Romo.

And two years ago to NYG? Everybody here KNOWS that none of these losses are on Romo.

C'mon, man. Give some real evidence or just forget about it.

Edited by BwareDWare94