seanbrock

Russell Wilson's ascension to elite QB ranks

I've been on the Wilson bandwagon for a while now. I've been thinking about who he reminds me of and I'd have to say a young Tom Brady as far as how he leads this team and his mentality in big game scenarios back when the Patriots made all those SB runs in the early '00's. He just had that knack to come up with those drives that you had to get points on or that you had to have TD's on. I think Russel Wilson is like a mobile version of a young Tom Brady. That's a scary thought for Seahawks haters. He uses his run game and defense to perfection. He doesn't try to do too much.He's not putting up 4500 yards passing and 35+ TD's but he's incredibly efficient for a second year player as a passer. He's top ten in Razor's QB rankings which are much better than PFF's imo.

I will stand by my statement that in five years, we'll be calling him the best QB in the game. Only difference is it may happen sooner than that.

• Upvote 1

I still have him in the bottom half of the top10 QBs. Imo he's out performing all the younger QBs not namedF Foles who's still largely an unknown despite his early success.

Stafford took himself outa the equation for the time being with his shitty ass month.

The Brady comparison is compelling to me.

Wilson is going to pale statistically to other elite QBs by design. Seattle doesn't desire to throw the ball 35+ times per game. They commit to the run, even if it's not working great. Wilson is asked to produce big plays when he does throw, and in terms of actual # of big plays, he's at the top of the NFL food chain. His % of big plays per pass is off the charts for every other QB in the league.

He is asked to play, not unlike how Brady was asked to play when NE was winning championships. Brady, is kind of a QB of two tales. He earned rings when he wasn't statistically outstanding, and when NE changed their philosophy to be a pass first, pass second, pass third kind of team, he produced statistics, but stopped earning championships.

Seattle doesn't ever want to get to a place where they throw more than they run. That will always stunt Wilson's relative statistics. But make no mistake, Russell is absolutely vital to Seattle's success. Pete Carroll never had a winning season in Seattle until Russell became the starter. And while the team has excellent balance across the board, it's Wilson's ability to make big plays on demand with limited opportunities that makes this team a winning team.

Wilson is a QB who can flip the switch on and put a team on his back when needed. We've seen him do that on multiple occasions. But Seattle works extremely hard to not have to do that. Wilson's lack of 'Star Wars' numbers is a function of design, not lack of ability. When games get extremely tight, Seattle puts their faith in Wilson's ability to win and put the game in his hands.

Love him. Look me up saying he was a first round talent but second round value when he was ranked third to fifth because of height concerns. Which can be valid.

He reminds me of playing Madden, rolling out for time all the time. Pocket jukes, like he sees it from overhead. He gets it.

Bad game tonight. Very forgivable though.

There's really no need to even defend the guy anymore, given how many different options he's discovered to win football games. I just can't see how I would gameplan the beat the guy. Stacking the box and coming with a really strong pass rush against an injured O-line and praying nobody gets open downfield is really the only shot you have to beat him. You also have to get him into 3rd and longs, so stopping Lynch is really important.

Thread should read: Russell Wilson's Ascension to League's Most Overrated QB.

• Downvote 2

Nice explanation why you believe this is the case. His #s are solid and his team is in the playoffs for the 2nd straight season.

Russell did well down the stretch and I'll back him for a lousy line in the NFCCG against a very stout 49ers defense. It's what happens when you get the two best defensive teams on the field at the same time. I'm pleased at the throws he did make which luckily were enough to keep us alive. I recall extending the play to hit Baldwin for 60 as well as an unreal throw to Jermaine Kearse on a 4th down.

Nice explanation why you believe this is the case. His #s are solid and his team is in the playoffs for the 2nd straight season.

Not because of him. Because of that defense, and the overall 45 active roster.

That's fine that us being this far is attributed more-so to having the best defense in the NFL, but there are many cases where Wilson has risen to the occasion (down 21-10 at half vs. NE and winning)

Yesterday did nothing for Wilson's legacy. He hardly affected the game lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Are you stupid?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you stupid?

No, I happen to have eyes. That game was ALL defense. Wilson did no more than Trent Dilfer did in 2000. The Broncos fell apart.

Don't even try to act like Wilson did anything that important in this game. He had like 205 yards and a couple of garbage TDs when the game was already over.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I agree with the premise that Wilson didn't have to do much... but when the ball was in his hands, he played great. No doubt about it.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday did nothing for Wilson's legacy. He hardly affected the game lol.

Cmon, you can't seriously believe that. Russell Wilson could retire today and would still be considered a Seahawks legend. He, along with the team, brought them home a SB.

And I second what Sarge said, he played well.

Edited by BJORN
  • Upvote 1

Are you stupid?

No, I happen to have eyes. That game was ALL defense. Wilson did no more than Trent Dilfer did in 2000. The Broncos fell apart.

Don't even try to act like Wilson did anything that important in this game. He had like 205 yards and a couple of garbage TDs when the game was already over.

Maybe so, but he also threw only 25 passes and completed 18 of them. Denver's defense had no answer for him. This was even with the Broncos bottling up Lynch for most of the game. I definitely thought if Denver shut down Lynch the way they did that they would have won. But Wilson not only kept the chains moving, he also had big plays down the field. Of course this is a conjecture on my part, but if Wilson had to do more last night, I can't see anything that suggests he would've been unable to do so. And it's not like Denver was unable to get pressure on him. Denver's front 7 did a good job against Seattle's OL, but Wilson's mobility extended plays and drives that kept Manning on the sideline and unable to get on the field to get into a groove.

I'm not saying he deserved MVP or anything, but he was a big part of that game, just as he always has been for the Seahawks.

There's probably at least 10 other QB's who could have won the Superbowl with that Seahawks team. Wilson wasn't only there for the ride, but let's not act like he was a huge reason they won the SB.

Russell Wilson was never brought in to throw 50 times a game. We was brought in to WIN GAMES for a running and defensive playing football team. You bet your ass he's a fucking Seattle legend. He handled the ball with care, improvising first downs on multiple occasions, and outplayed Peyton Manning.

Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB at this point and was damn near the Super Bowl MVP.

Our division of labor might not be the flashy, traditional, gun slinging type of pussy ass arena football type of offense, but our methods work, and our quarterback is fucking good.

Kick rocks.

• Upvote 1

See: the beginning of Ben Roethlisberger's career. But better.

Edited by BC

I don't think Wilson is a Top 5 QB. Brees, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and arguably Rivers. Wilson did not win his team the SB, he kept them from losing it. In terms of pure leadership and legacy, Wilson is already near the top. However, unless he sticks around in the NFL for years to come he isn't going to be on the level as the modern greats. He isn't going to be Peyton. He isn't going to be Brees. He may not even be Rivers yet. If he completely fell off this next year (He won't but hypothetical scenario) everybody would remember him as a dual threat one hit wonder who was carried by his defense.

Wilson was the first QB to throw for 200 yards, 2 TDs and complete 70 percent of his passes in a Super Bowl and not win MVP

That said, count me among those who think while Wilson was a factor in the game, he wasn't the main factor, I mean Wilson's two TDs were the Seahawks' last two scores in the blowout, the offense only scored 13 of the team's first 29 points, a rushing TD and two field goals all on drives of under 60 yards, there's no question that the Seahawks defense won that game