Sign in to follow this  
Piggly Wiggly

Attn Phil: Zack addresses Spygate

Earlier this week, former Steelers coach Bill Cowher defended coach Bill Belichick and thePatriots against accusations of cheating that arose from Spygate, a scandal hung over New England during its undefeated 2007 regular season and raised questions about the legitimacy of three Super Bowl titles between 2001-2005.

And Cowher had first-hand experience with facing the Patriots in big games. In January 2005, New England defeated Pittsburgh in an AFC Championship matchup, on the way to its third Lombardi Trophy.

“We didn't lose the game because of any Spygate, because of them having any additional things,” Cowher told CBS Pittsburgh's 93-7 The Fan

“Part of the things we had [were] wristbands that we were using to do it," he continued. "It's not even an element anymore because of the communications that take place on the field to the quarterback, to the linebacker. So it's an element of the game that doesn't exist, and really, what happened when we lost that game is they outplayed us, and it has nothing to do with stealing signals, or cheating, or anything else. They were a better football team on that day.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24412125/cowher-says-spygate-isnt-why-steelers-lost-to-pats-brown-agrees

Have to imagine Zack and many other fellow butthurt Steeler fans are upset with Cowher about this. :yao:

Pil pls

The only thing more annoying than the fans that incessantly decry the Patriots for Spygate, are the Patriots fans that vehemently defend it.

:popcorn::devious:

Edited by SteVo

He's in the media now and likely wants to return to coaching at some point. Like he's really going to call them out and appear like a bitter old douche, lol.

Hines Ward, Joey Porter, and plenty of other Steelers players feel differently. Either way, I know what I know and you can eat my hairy asshole, dumbass. Try harder next time, lmao.

Hines Ward, Joey Porter, and plenty of other Steelers players feel differently. Either way, I know what I know and you can eat my hairy asshole, dumbass. Try harder next time, lmao.

Yeah, because Hines Ward and Joey Porter (LOL!!) are apparently the voice of reason. Just incredibly bitter and butthurt (much like you and the rest of your idiotic fanbase) over those two AFC Championship game losses. Shit happened a decade ago and Steeler Nation is still rattled over it. :yao:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You guys are fucking dumb, lmao. Ward and Porter were brought up because, regardless of what anyone involved with the Steelers says, I still know that they were caught cheating. Cowher, Ward, et cetera, all moot. One comment by Cowher, a current media pundit and possible future HC candidate likely not wanting to risk either job, does not erase the multitude of evidence against the Patriots.

None of you dipshits will read this, but here is the information that's available. Draw your own conclusions. You know I have.

-The evidence was immediately destroyed. If there was nothing incriminating, why wasn't the evidence released? Goodell was protecting the league's interests in sweeping it under the rug and slapping Belichick on the wrist.

-Matt Walsh, a Patriots videographer for seven years, admitted being the camera man stealing signals and having videotaped the Rams' practices prior to the 2001 Super Bowl. He also stated:

Walsh said that when he worked with the Patriots, a very limited number of people within the organization were privy to details about the team's video practices, notably video director Jimmy Dee and Ernie Adams, Belichick's prep school friend and right-hand man.

Walsh said that during his tenure in New England, no taping was done without Dee's knowledge.

As for the prospect of Adams sharing insight into the suspicious practices, Walsh said: "You've got a better chance of him telling you who killed JFK than anything about New England. There are lots of stories there. He told me stories of things they used to do in Cleveland [where Adams assisted Belichick with the Browns]."

Matt Walsh is now under a gag order with the NFL. Why would they need to shut him up if none of what evidence he had was incriminating?

The eight-page agreement requires Walsh turn over to the NFL any documents and materials, including videotapes that relate to allegations of videotaping Patriots opponents, by May 8. His legal counsel, Levy, is allowed under the agreement to retain a copy of his document, though the materials cannot be used for commercial purposes or in a manner that could "reasonably be expected to be disparaging to the NFL." Nor may Walsh or his attorney make documents available to a third party without the league's consent.

The agreement fully indemnifies Walsh and holds him harmless against all claims, losses, liabilities, attorneys fees, costs (including travel expenses) and reasonable lost wages as a result of his former employment with the Patriots and subsequent cooperation in the NFL's videotaping investigation.

Walsh is also required to refrain from seeking commercial gain from his involvement until fulfilling his obligations to the league. In an interesting twist, the agreement spells out that any money Walsh makes from his involvement in Spygate during the next five years must first go to pay the costs the league might incur in indemnifying him. The league would then give that money to a charity selected by the NFL and approved by Walsh. He could keep any money he would make beyond that.

The agreement also stipulates that Walsh must meet with the NFL before being interviewed by any third party, including the media. "Accordingly, Mr. Walsh will not be making any statements at this time," Levy said.

-So, Walsh admitted to taping the Rams' practices. Marshall Faulk seemed to feel that made a difference, seeing as the Rams had put new redzone and 3rd down plays into their plan in their practices that they had not used all season, yet the Patriots had defensive checks ready.

“I understand Bill (Belichick) is a great coach,” Faulk told Curran. “But No. 13 (Kurt Warner) will tell you. Mike Martz will tell you. We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn’t ran. I think we got to fourth down — we ran three plays that we hadn’t ran, that Mike drew up for that game – Bill’s a helluva coach . . . we hadn’t ran them the whole year (and the Patriots were ready for them)…

“I know, in that game, in the red zone, the plays we ran, most of them we hadn’t ran most of those plays that year. And a couple of plays on third down that we walked through also . . . Any time that I was offset, I was always stationary. And we had creating motioning in the backfield at the same depth on the other side of the field. And they created a check for it. It’s just little things like that. It’s either the best coaching in the world when you come up with situations that you had never seen before. Or you’d seen it and knew what to do.”

-Ernie Adams was one of the select few that knew about the tapes. Phil, BradyFan, do you know who Adams is or what he does? Of course you don't, not even Patriots players do and Art Modell once offered $10,000 to anyone that could tell him what Adams did.

"I don't know what his job title is," linebacker Adalius Thomas says. "I didn't even know his last name was Adams."

"Ernie is a bit of a mystery to all of us," offensive tackle Matt Light says. "I'm not sure what Ernie does, but I'm sure whatever it is, he's good at it."

Finally, I approach receiver Wes Welker. "I'm writing a story about Ernie Adams," I tell him.

"Who?" he says.

"The guy who's always with Belichick who doesn't ever really talk."

"Oh," he says, recognition washing over his face. "Ernie."

He thinks for a second. "He's got to be a genius," he says, "because he looks like one."

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

This brings us to the million-dollar question: Behind the quirks and the strange attire and the random attacks of sleep, what is it that Ernie Adams, you know, does? Years ago, Modell offered $10,000 to anyone who could tell him. No one could. A few years back, during a team film session, the Patriots players put up a slide of Adams. The caption read: "What does this man do?" Everyone cracked up. But no one knew.

Adams is, apparently, a genius. Here's a long ESPN article on him and the source for most of the quotations: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

On game day, Adams wears a headset in the press box, a direct line to Belichick. Adams advises Belichick on which plays to challenge, and charts trends. "The one thing the Patriots do better than anyone else is they adjust and make halftime adjustments," Sturges says. "Ernie Adams is the guy who does that."

Are there other game-day duties? While it is commonly accepted that most teams try to steal signals, and New England was actually caught in the well-publicized Spygate incident, one former Patriots insider said a videotape of signals wouldn't help the other 31 teams nearly as much because they wouldn't have Ernie Adams there to quickly analyze and process the information.

And, if any of this happens to be true, Adams' love of military history suggests he might see deciphering signals as just part of winning a battle. Friends say he is wildly competitive. "Behind the exterior of a guy who lived with his mother," Bissinger says, "he is a guy who is really savage about winning games."

So, with a genius in the box with a headset, prior access to practice tapes, and being relayed defensive signals, do you really think the Patriots didn't benefit at all from just the tapes themselves?

-The tapes are not even the heart of the issue here. The Patriots also used a second radio frequency for the QB's helmet that did not stop 15 seconds prior to the snap, which is the league rule. These extra 15 seconds would be ample time for Ernie to decipher the signal and relay playcall to counter it. Doug Flutie, former Patriots backup QB, once accidentally put on Brady's helmet instead of his own and heard the audio well past the 15 second stop mark, warning Brady of what was coming.

Some teams have complained that their sideline headsets regularly go out in games against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium. This past week, the league office also questioned team officials about four radio frequencies they were utilizing, three of them suspicious.

In addition to this, the Patriots were accused of putting mics in their DL's helmets.

NBC's Andrea Kremer also reported Sunday that the New York Jets have asked the league office to investigate accusations that the Patriots trained high-powered microphones at their defensive linemen as part of the effort to steal signals in Sunday's game.

In a 2005 game against the Steelers at Heinz field, Belichick suspiciously ran the Steelers training staff off the field, telling them to "get away from his fucking player". Why in god's name would he chase away an opposing trainer trying to help his injured player if there was nothing to hide? Did he have a mic in his helmet?

Norwig, the Steelers' trainer since 1992, rushed onto the field with Pittsburgh EMS division chief Ron Romano when it was evident that Patriots tackle Matt Light was seriously injured in the second quarter Sunday at Heinz Field. That is normal procedure for the home team in such a situation because Romano would be the first to call for an ambulance if needed.

But when Belichick saw Norwig approach Light, who lay on the grass field, he came out to shoo him away. Belichick told Norwig to "get away from my [expletive] player" according to several sources.

Even though New England coach Bill Belichick chased off Steelers trainer John Norwig from attending to one of his injured players Sunday, it did not prevent the Patriots from later asking the Steelers for crutches and some medication for the player.

-Furthermore, as mentioned in a previous quotation, multiple teams have reported headset problems in Foxborough. Lions, Bengals, Jaguars, and Browns have all stated publicly that they've had problems at Gillette Stadium.

After the Patriots scandal broke, Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said the Jaguars experienced headset issues during a playoff game in New England.

“At one point we had a good drive going against the Patriots,” said one Lion who doesn’t want his name involved in this mess, but was willing to talk about it. “Mike Martz really had ‘em going. They were getting fouled up, lining up wrong, we were moving the ball. Then boom, the headset from the sidelines to the coaches’ booth goes out.

“Next possession we were moving the ball again and the same thing happened. You know it only takes two or three plays to mess up a drive.”

Matt Millen, the Lions’ GM, was talking to Bengals’ coach Marvin Lewis at the league meetings. He started telling him the story.

“Yeah, I know,” Lewis said. “Headset went out. It happened to me in Foxboro, too.”

Well, it happened to the Browns during their game on Oct. 7 in Foxboro, Mass.

A team source said Browns coaches lost communication with Anderson eight to 10 times.

-To top all of this off, there was a statistical analysis done on the Patriots and their absurd home record that points to an outside source helping them achieve this statistical anomaly. The information and charts are quite large and I'm nearly certain that you won't read them, but I will post them in spoiler tags later. I'm about to go out of town, but I'm sure I've left you with enough for now.

I look forward to your counterpoints refuting this evidence, including, but not limited to: moronic .gifs, complete dismissal of all evidence just because, and whining about the time/effort put into my post.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

i just saw this thread and read what zack said and its pretty interesting.

So have we still come to the conclusion the patriots cheated or do we now operate under the assumption that they are legit ?

Just thought I should bump this thread. I wonder what else the Pats are up to lol. Anyone who reads this and thinks the league has it out for Brady and/or the Pats should have their head checked.