Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Jimmy Garoppolo, this year's Blaine Gabbert?

For those who have the free time and are down for a read, Matt Waldman goes through countless examples of how Jimmy G has the same phantom pressure red flag that Gabbert displayed at Missouri which so many missed in 2011. I've even said in a previous "rank the positions" thread in here that Jimmy G had the pocket presence of Gabbert and this guy points it out and says it better than I ever could of. I've seen a few posters in here saying they hope their team looks at Jimmy in the 2nd round or so, for y'all I recommend a read here. Be careful what you wish for: warning, it get's very ugly.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/03/05/qb-jimmy-garoppolo-knockout/

• Upvote 1

For those who have the free time and are down for a read, Matt Waldman goes through countless examples of how Jimmy G has the same phantom pressure red flag that Gabbert displayed at Missouri which so many missed in 2011. I've even said in a previous "rank the positions" thread in here that Jimmy G had the pocket presence of Gabbert and this guy points it out and says it better than I ever could of. I've seen a few posters in here saying they hope their team looks at Jimmy in the 2nd round or so, for y'all I recommend a read here. Be careful what you wish for: warning, it get's very ugly.

Haven't looked at the link yet, but at least you'd hope that if you take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of top 15 that you can sit him and iron that out before he makes a start for you. Like I said, he needs to get taken by a team like New Orleans where he could sit behind Brees and either be his successor or just sit behind him a couple years and the Saints go and trade him for a high pick.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

Haven't looked at the link yet, but at least you'd hope that if you take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of top 15 that you can sit him and iron that out before he makes a start for you. Like I said, he needs to get taken by a team like New Orleans where he could sit behind Brees and either be his successor or just sit behind him a couple years and the Saints go and trade him for a high pick.

A big part of the article is it's historically something you can't iron out or teach. He feels phantom pressure and his game suffers because of it. If he's feeling phantom pressure in the FCS at Eastern Illinois, I can't imagine how he'd react in the NFL. Just like Blaine Gabbert he'll continue to get blitzed until he proves he won't rush or panic.

I actually agree with Sean. I honestly think Gabbert could have been a stud in the NFL had the Jags not rushed him. I am probably alone in that, but when he took the field for the Jags.... he just was not ready. He wasn't prepared for the "feel", rhythm, and pace of the pro game and honestly that is one of the most underrated factors looking at QB. He needed that time on the bench to just feel out the game, and he wasn't given that opportunity. And it crushed him and his prospects.

If a team is looking at Garoppolo in the first as their savior, they are going to be in trouble more than likely. So, in a way... I actually agree with the article, I am not on the hype train. But I still feel he is worth the investment if you have the coaches in place to get him up to speed with the NFL game because he has all the other tools ready to utilize.

More so than a guy like Johnny Manziel who.. In my opinion needs help with both the mental and physical aspect of his game. Just using him as an example as a guy riding the hype train into the 1st unnecessarily as I think guys like Teddy, Bortles, and Carr belong there. Again, all in my opinion.

Guess I'm in the minority then. I think Manziel is more ready for the NFL than Garoppolo because he can succeed in chaos (even if he creates unneeded chaos which gets him in trouble.) Where Garoppolo struggles to improvise/stay poised in chaos. I also think Carr is in the same boat as Garoppolo in terms of his lack of poise in chaos, thought not as often or pronounced as Garoppolo.

His body won't be able to survive the chaos that is NFL players, IMO. And missing wide open wide receivers is going to be killer, because it won't happen as often at the next level. Missing that one big throw down the field because you decided to take your eyes from down field so that you can run and gain 2-6 yards will prove costly.

EDIT:

In reality, watch them all bust out. Lol

Edited by Favre4Ever

His body won't be able to survive the chaos that is NFL players, IMO. And missing wide open wide receivers is going to be killer, because it won't happen as often at the next level. Missing that one big throw down the field because you decided to take your eyes from down field so that you can run and gain 2-6 yards will prove costly.

EDIT:

In reality, watch them all bust out. Lol

Honestly, I don't think these things are big issues.

The fact is, every QB misses open receivers. Even Peyton fricking Manning. There are a lot of things that go into missed WRs. It happens to every QB.

As for his durability concerns. I don't really see these as being that much more prevalent than a pure pocket passer. Manziel will take his share of hits. But he also improved on being more judicious about when to get out of bounds and sliding. He also has incredible elusiveness. He doesn't take many hard shots. Most are of the glancing variety. It's a common misconception often applied to Russell Wilson here in Seattle. The biggest hits he takes are actually when he stands in the pocket and delivers under pressure. His mobility is a huge asset in him mitigating injury risk. Not a liability in accentuating injury risk.

Manziel doesn't yet have the decision making ability or the same level of ability to extend plays for the purpose of making a pass downfield. He does it sometimes. But often when he scrambles, his head and eyes are down and he's charging full bore. This is something he can correct.

He definitely has the ability to extend plays and to make game changing dynamic plays on the move via the pass. He simply needs to develop it more as a pro. As an athlete though, he has plenty of tools to keep from getting killed back there.

The key will be decision making. If he doesn't develop as an extend/pass mobile QB, then he's probably going to suffer RGIII's fate. If he develops and improves on his ability as a passer first -- then he can be a productive and relatively low injury risk QB.

I would have no reservations as a team in taking him. In the entire draft, is there a more dynamic play maker? Not even close. Sometimes, you have to concede what your eyes tell you and not cloud reality by what-if criticisms.

Manziel has shown the ability to make great plays via the extended pass. I would expect him to dial that in more as a pro. He has great mobility. Great completion percentage. Shows the ability to hoist a team by it's bootstraps and will them to victory. Sometimes you have to identify what a guy can do, not what he can't. Manziel can win games for you. He definitely has that 'it' factor.

If I'm a team needing a QB and I'm picking in the top 5, I run to the podium to take him.

Edited by Attyla the Hawk

I had him as a late first second round guy at the beginning of the offseason, he's dropped to the top of the third since then. He's got all the tools to be a good QB in the NFL, despite his happy feet/questionable pocket awareness.

Those issues are legit, but I think they can be limited, he isn't a day 1 starter, but there are only about 3 to 4 QBs I'd take ahead of him.

Yes, all QBs missed open WRs sometimes, but Manziel does it for very different reasons. He misses WRs because he is uncomfortable in the pocket (although yes, he has improved) and would rather break free and make big plays with his feet. His body WILL fail him playing like that in the NFL.

Maybe he explodes onto the scene and outdoes Cam and Vick running the football... but it won't last. At the very best, we are looking at a flash in the pan with Manziel unless a team can DRASTICALLY change his mentality and approach to the game -- which maybe can happen? I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Its so cool to see the different opinions on his projection to the league though, like me and Attyla are bullish on him, JD and Dmac are bearish. Can't wait to see what happens with him in the league, it'll be interesting that's for sure.