Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Texans trade Matt Schaub to Raiders for 6th round pick

Per Rotoworld.com:

Raiders acquired QB Matt Schaub from the Texans in exchange for a 2014 sixth-round draft pick.
Same story, different year. The Raiders have now traded for Carson Palmer, Matt Flynn, and Schaub over the last four years, none remotely a long-term solution or even a viable short-term fix. Schaub, 33 in June, was benched for Case Keenum in Houston last year and has a 16:20 TD-to-INT ratio since Thanksgiving of 2012. The fact that any team -- let alone a Raiders squad that should be holding onto draft picks with a vice grip -- gave up compensation for this player is utterly incomprehensible. Schaub has a $10 million base salary plus $1 million in per-game roster bonuses due in 2014. He's a lock to open the season as Oakland's starting quarterback, regardless of what happens at the No. 5 overall pick. This trade was a job well done by Texans GM Rick Smith. Mar 21 - 4:48 PM

Easily the best move of Rick Smith's entire GM career. I'd have settled for five deflated footballs.

Why does it seem like every year the Raiders just go after the "best" castoff QB available?

Classic Al Davis strategem? Even though he's dead.... OR IS HE?!

Schaub is probably better than whoever the hell they were gonna get with the pick

It's meh for the Raiders, seeing they can get a stopgap for a little bit while Pryor/draft pick can mature a little bit before they start. Granted, Schaub isn't the same player from 3 seasons ago. Plus, they do need to spend money somewhere :)

Great for Texans, as they dump his awful contract and can start over with Bortles/Bridgewater.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's really that bad. I mean, honestly.. They probably should have just waited until Houston cut Schaub, but.. Eh. Best case scenario, Schaub isn't the mental midget we have seen the last year and they have a nice guy to groom their QB of the future. Worst case, they lose a 6th round pick on a guy who forgot how to play the position overnight and have to force a young player onto the field (possibly) early.

• Upvote 1

Jags got more from Gabbert.

:yao:

Yeah but Gabbert has a relatively cap friendly contract. The same couldn't be said for Schaub.

I hope he succeeds in Oakland. There's no malice coming from me. It was just time for the Texans to move on. Getting a 6th round pick is just icing on the cake.

Well, one man's trash... I guess.

Edit: This is actually a really pointless move. Palmer for Schaub, all for what?

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Mendoza Line, meet the McGloin Bar.

Prior to acquiring Matt Schaub, the Raiders reportedly used a "(Matt) McGloin Bar" to evaluate available quarterbacks because they "wanted someone better to start next season."

Schaub was apparently above the "McGloin Bar." Of course, Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie has proven to be the league's poorest quarterback evaluator during his brief time on the job. He's traded away Carson Palmer, traded for Matt Flynn and Schaub, and cut Tyler Wilson after drafting him in the fourth round. The Raiders reportedly see 2013 UDFA McGloin as a competent long-term backup.

Per the San Francisco Chronicle, "it is safe to say" the Raiders are "not in love" with any of this year's top quarterback prospects.

Not that we'd rely on the Raiders' scouting department to predict NFL success, but this is a note worth filing away for mock drafters. (After trading for Matt Schaub, Oakland almost certainly won't use the fifth overall pick at quarterback.) In the last week, the Raiders have trekked to watch Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Blake Bortles' Pro Days. Jadeveon Clowney, Sammy Watkins, and perhaps even Mike Evans are likelier candidates to land in Oakland.
Edited by Vin

Should've just gone after Sanchez.

Nah, at least with Sanchez there's a chance, albeit a very small one, that he turns out to be decent. With Schaub, first you've got to hope that last year isn't his permanent state, and then if it's not, you're only going to get decent play for a couple years. Sanchez is the better choice, IMO.

The Raiders suck, Matt Shaub sucks, and Mark Sanchez sucks.

/thread

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nah, at least with Sanchez there's a chance, albeit a very small one, that he turns out to be decent. With Schaub, first you've got to hope that last year isn't his permanent state, and then if it's not, you're only going to get decent play for a couple years. Sanchez is the better choice, IMO.

what has Sanchez done to make you think he could still turn out decent?

It's true that up to this point our lasting impressions of both guys have been failure. But I think Schaub has a better chance to turn it around. Theoretically if both guys can turn it around, Schaub is still better. Heck, bad Schaub might be on the level of good Sanchez.

Schaub restructured his contract

Matt Schaub has agreed to a restructured contract with the Raiders that will pay him $15-20 million over the next two seasons.
Schaub's old deal would've paid out $24.5 million over 2014 and 2015. The fine print isn't in on Schaub's new contract, but ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it will lower his base salary and salary cap number for 2014. The Raiders now have Jake Delhomme Schaub signed for at least his age-33 and 34 seasons.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Mar 23 - 8:59 PM
ROTOWORLD

Mainly my eternal optimism, though that takes a hit when you think about what he'd have to work with in Oakland. His '10 and '11 seasons weren't bad at all: 10 game-winning drives and 8 fourth-quarter comebacks over that time period. Unfortunately, as the Jets got worse, so to did Sanchez. Still though, I'd rather put my stock in a 28 year-old QB than a 32 year-old who's coming off a ton of questions.

Mainly my eternal optimism, though that takes a hit when you think about what he'd have to work with in Oakland. His '10 and '11 seasons weren't bad at all: 10 game-winning drives and 8 fourth-quarter comebacks over that time period. Unfortunately, as the Jets got worse, so to did Sanchez. Still though, I'd rather put my stock in a 28 year-old QB than a 32 year-old who's coming off a ton of questions.

fair enough, personally I'd take the 32 year old QB who's actually led some competent offenses over the 28 year old who's only played well when he's had one of the best defenses in the league, but to each his own I guess

Per Rotoworld.com:

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie insists Matt Schaub isn't a stop-gap option at quarterback.
Astonishingly, McKenzie also claimed he didn't see anything alarming when studying Schaub's 2013 film. "You just look at the tape and you see the talent," McKenzie said. "He had some good plays last year. Take away some of the bad throws, and he looked alright." We'd counter that any quarterback will look "alright" if you ignore their bad throws. Schaub is the Raiders' plan, and they're sticking to it. Mar 25 - 6:59 PM

If you take away everything he did wrong, he's actually pretty good.

• Upvote 2