Dutch

Top 10 WRs

Yes, it's about that time again especially considering it's the offseason. Who are now considered the top 10 WRs in the league according to your own opinion. Who has declined or took a free fall and who has climbed their way into your ranks?

My list isn't just purely statistical. I factor in circumstances, impact / effectiveness, consistency, versatility as well as other intangibles (and maybe some bias).

Well, here's my list:

1. :Lions: Calvin Johnson - No question the undisputed #1 WR in the league. He's simply a monster. He just dominates opposing defenses with his off the charts physical attributes.

2. :Bengals: A.J Green - My new favorite WR in the league now (sorry Larry). He can run all the routes (fluid route running ability), great hands and beat your anywhere on the field. He's tied for 1st for most explosive 40 yard + plays in the league and moves the chains regularly. He's played at an elite level since he's come into the league and is one of the best young WRs I've seen come into the league in a long time. He's the #1 all around complete WR imo.

3. :Texans: Andre Johnson - Andre is still beasting the league at 32. Even with the Texans being horrible last year, he still lights up defenses. He's still explosive off the line, gets open and makes great catches. Andre is putting together a great case for Canton.

4. :Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald - Probably my extreme bias is keeping him here. I still think he's one of the best in the league and a top 5 talent. Hasn't had a QB since Warner and when he gets a capable one, their offensive line was simply horrible. However, another year like this season and he's going to have to fall down in the ranks. My heart for once is slightly swaying to have him slightly lower but I can't do it yet unless his circumstances prove he belongs lower.

5. :Bears: Brandon Marshall - I know people are going to disagree with this however, Brandon Marshall is one of the most consistent WRs in the game at a high level. 7 straight seasons of over 1000 and averaging over 98 catches within that time frame. He's one of the best possession receivers in the game and the best WR at moving the chains for a first down. He may not be extremely fast and explosive like some of these other speedy guys but, he's reliable and he goes for the ball. Very underrated and under appreciated.

6. :Cowboys: Dez Bryant - It's usually a comparison between Dez and D.T but I had to go with Dez. Both players are very explosive but I think Dez is the better receiver. Not only is he extremely physical and runs the ball hard, he's exceptionally better at catching the ball than D.T. Dez Bryant attacks the ball in the air and comes down with amazing catches. D.T doesn't go for the ball like Dez and I've seen some rather catchable looking balls that D.T didn't make an effort to grab. That's huge for me. Dez Bryant has also been the best WR in the redzone for the past two years I believe. He's a beast in the redzone. Both are also amazing after the catch which is a huge plus but Dez overall better imo.

7. :Broncos: Demaryius Thomas - One of the biggest play receivers in the league and is the best WR after the catch no question. I've seen him make some amazing catches but I've also seen him let some catchable balls hit the turf. Peyton throws some well placed balls his way and it seems at times if it isn't perfectly placed or within his immediate catching vicinity, he doesn't go for the ball as much. That's my main knock on him. However, you can't argue with his production which is why he's here. Although (what I'm about to say is controversial), I think I may still prefer Julio over him :ninja:

8. :Falcons: Julio Jones - This feels criminally low for Julio. Impact and explosive player since his rookie season and he had an amazing start in the beginning of his year this past season before he got injured. I definitely saw him breaking out and wowing the league stepping his game up to the next level. I love his potential and I'd take him over some of the guys ahead of him. Just needs to put it together in a healthy season.

9. :Browns: Josh Gordon - My philosophy in ranking players usually consist of them stringing together some great seasons. Gordons first season was relatively good (even considering who was throwing him the ball) but his sophomore season was out of this world. Josh Gordon was the best receiver in football last season only playing in 14 games. I was high on him being a compensatory pick and he's definitely delivered. Another season even close to last year and he moves into the top 5.

10. :Steelers: Antonio Brown - Antonio Brown has answered the call, shut up the critics and doubters. I was somewhat in that category wanting to see him do it without Mike Wallace first before I ranked him. He wind up being a better receiver than Mike Wallace. Antonio Brown can beat you anywhere on the field. Very fast and shifty guy and is one of the best route runners in the league. He's very crisp with his routes and is underrated in this regard. If he has another season like last year, he definitely moves up several spots on this list.

Players outside looking in:

:Falcons: Roddy White - Feels wrong that he's not in my top 10. He's has been one of the premiere and consistent WR in the league for over the past 6 years or so like Brandon Marshall. Usually I don't let injuries affect my rankings to this extent but this year was so competitive that Roddy just had to take a seat back on this one. However, if he gets back to shape, he can easily reclaim his spot in my top 10.

:Giants: Victor Cruz - Still one of the biggest play makers at his position. Team played horrible this year and it no doubt affected his season.

:Eagles: Desean Jackson - One of the most dangerous deep threats in the league. He has the 2nd most splash / explosive plays in the league (over 20+ yards) with 33 under Josh Gordon(39). He has the potential to beat you and score on any given play and is a gadget player. He proved he can be more of a possession receiver with Maclin gone reeling in 82 passes. He had a career year in yards as well. However, he's still not a #1 receiver and has been prone to get shut down and disappear in big games against physical or very fast corners (Brandon Carr, Patrick Peterson, Kenaan Lewis). An impact player who's always a threat but his big game playability is questionable when it matters.

:Bucs: Vincent Jackson

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

I'll give it a go as well.

1. Calvin Johnson, :Lions: Feels like the obvious choice, an athletic freak who has improved his game year after year.

2. Brandon Marshall, :Bears: Marshall is a bit underrated for what he does. For most of his career he has been Jay Cutler's bailout option, and he's made difficult catches look routine. His experience and consistency puts him here.

3. Adriel Jeremiah Green, :Bengals: The guy is like a faster, stronger Marvin Harrison. While we can't put Andy Dalton on Peyton's choking level yet, the similarities in game are there. Dude is as fluid as a waterfall.

4. Andre Johnson, :Texans: The dude will be on mediocre teams forever, but he knows how to ball out. He may not be on the field all 16 games a season, but he's so dominant when he's on his game, even at his advanced age.

5. Demaryius Thomas, :Broncos: Dude just knows how to ball out. Dude is just as much as an athletic freak as Calvin, but his aggressiveness needs a little work before he dominates this list.

6. Antonio Brown, :Steelers: Consistency is the name of the game, and Antonio Brown was king. Never had a game with less than 5 catches or 50 yards this season. He was the ultimate safety blanket for Big Ben last year and his game just keeps getting better.

7. Dez Bryant, :Cowboys: He's pretty good I guess.

8. Jimmy Graham, :Saints: Did you know he played basketball?! Yeah. Graham is definitely a WR, not even remotely a tight end.

9. Larry Fitzgerald, :Cardinals: Still as smooth as ever, however Fitzy is definitely not as physically dominant as he used to be. Still has the best hands in the league and still has a strong game speed, but the go up and get it Fitz balls are no longer in his favour.

10. Josh Gordon, :Browns: Dude exploded onto the scene last year, but a lot of his yards and receptions were in garbage time, and could be greatly exaggerated. Still, he's another physical freak that is just too difficult to stop.

Honorable mentions: DeSean Jackson, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson and futures pick Alshon Jeffrey.

• Upvote 2

I want an honest opinion. How far down this list is :Chargers: Keenan Allen. I know he's more of a futures pick but he'd be in my top 20

No matter how I make my top 5 it feels like I'm leaving somebody out. There are some incredible WR's in the league.

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Andre Johnson

3. Brandon Marshall

4. Demaryius Thomas

5. Josh Gordon

6. AJ Green

7. Dez Bryant

8. Antonio Brown

9. Larry Fitzgerald

10. Julio Jones

1. Calvin Johnson, :Lions: No single player can take over a game like this guy.

2. Brandon Marshall, :Bears: I have a slight bit of bias, but sometimes I feel like I could put BMarsh at 1B next to Calvin. Great hands, great routes, a downright chore to tackle.

3. AJ Green, :Bengals: Probably the best pure athlete on the list, will likely be number one in a few years, but he needs a better quarterback.

4. Andre Johnson, :Texans: No one has done more with less for as long as this guy. I'm often just amazed when he's doin his thing he can still be unstoppable. Would have liked to see him go to another team.

5. Demaryius Thomas, :Broncos: Someday will be 1A, 1B with AJ Green. The best screen receiver in the game hands down, and tops with YAC. Manning's yards per completion are only as high as they are from throwing dumps to this guy and DT taking them to the house. I just hope the Rottweiler doesn't kill his career. Once he develops the attitude for attacking the ball consistently, look out.

6. Dez Bryant, :Cowboys: Almost everything you can say about DT, you can say about Dez. They will always be held up together and compared. Dez's only knock is that he's a piece of shit.

7. Antonio Brown, :Steelers: This guy became the Steeler offense when no one thought he could do it alone. I'm no Steeler fan but Brown is one of my favorites to watch. He is excellent at adjusting routes on the fly and beating double coverage.

8. Julio Jones, :Falcons: Has all the tools, ability, and situation to be higher on the list. Wasn't the same after the injuries. I feel that he'll bounce back in a big way in 2014.

9. Larry Fitzgerald, :Cardinals: I still believe that Fitz could be in the top 5, maybe even the top 3, with the right team and quarterback. It's a damn shame he feels so strongly about finishing his career in Arizona. I would die to see him play with any of the top 5 quarterbacks.

10a. Stevie Johnson, :Bills: A situation akin to Larry's, I feel in a better environment Stevie would be several spots higher, and at least on more people's top-10 lists. Sneaky fast, unbelievable route runner. I still remember watching a Bills/Jets game a season ago and he just took Revis to school for much of the game. Love this guy.

10b. Wes Welker, :Broncos: I'll probably get flamed for this one, but close to 850 receptions in 9 years is hard to argue with. If he would've stayed with the Patriots, he would probably be one or two spots higher on my list - just being that he wasn't as integral to the Broncos offense. It took going to a team with 4 stellar receiving targets to dip below 100 catches. 70+ with DT, Deck, and Juice on the field is nothing to scoff at.

10c. Vincent Jackson, :Bucs: How many players can you say went from one of the leagues great quarterbacks to a shitty situation and actually got better? He can still run by and jump over the best of them.

On the cusp and up and comers: Josh Gordon, DeSean Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Alshon Jeffrey, Michael Crabtree, Keenan Allen, Randal Cobb, Marques Colston, Cecil Shorts the 3rd

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I want an honest opinion. How far down this list is :Chargers: Keenan Allen. I know he's more of a futures pick but he'd be in my top 20

One more season like he just had and he's in the conversation.

Calvin Johnson

A.J. Green

Brandon Marshall

Andre Johnson

Demaryius Thomas

Dez Bryant

Vincent Jackson

Antonio Brown

Larry Fitzgerald

Josh Gordon

Edit: shit forgot AB

Edited by Bay

Heading into 2014.

1.) Megatron
2.) AJ Green
3.) Julio Jones

4.) Josh Gordon

5.) Dez Bryant

6.) AJ Johnson

7.) Jordy Nelson

8.) Vincent Jackson

9.) Demaryus Thomas

10.) Antonio Brown

Alshon is on his way up. Probably will be top 5 coming next year.

Edit: Change of heart. Or something like that...

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

He's already in my top 20. I'd say he's somewhere 15 to 20. There are just too many good receivers.

Heading into 2014.

1.) Megatron

2.) AJ Green

3.) Julio Jones

4.) Josh Gordon

5.) Dez Bryant

6.) AJ Johnson

7.) Demaryus Thomas

8.) Vincent Jackson

9.) Jordy Nelson

10.) Antonio Brown

Alshon is on his way up. Probably will be top 5 coming next year.

Yeah, especially if it's anything close to last seasons with more TDs.

9. Stevie Johnson, :Bills: A situation akin to Larry's, I feel in a better environment Stevie would be several spots higher, and at least on more people's top-10 lists. Sneaky fast, unbelievable route runner. I still remember watching a Bills/Jets game a season ago and he just took Revis to school for much of the game. Love this guy.

I feel the same way about Stevie. He's a great route runner and play maker. He's known to drop an occasional pass every now and then but he still has to be account for. Just been dealt some questionable QBs.

Edited by dutchff7

1. Josh Gordon

2. Calvin Johnson

3. AJ Green

4.DT

5. Jordy Nelson

6. Antonio Brown

7. Andre Johnson

8. Brandon Marshall

9. Julio Jones

10. Randall Cobb

Ya, I just did that.

• Downvote 5

1. Calvin Johnson

2. AJ Green

3. Brandon Marshal
4. Dez Bryant
5. Vincent Jackson
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Julio Jones
8. Demaryius Thomas
9. Antonio Brown
10. Andre Johnson

Ya, he is. He runs some of the best routes in the league. He burns guys twice as fast as he is. He has some of the best hands, and he can make guys miss as well. What doesn't he do?

He's so good at what he does, other teams took our patented Jordy Nelson TD pass and used it in their own offenses. It can't be stopped.

I might be slightly biased... But your opinion doesn't mean much as you said he wasn't capable of playing on the outside... Lmao.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Downvote 1

1. Josh Gordon

2. Calvin Johnson

3. AJ Green

4.DT

5. Jordy Nelson

6. Antonio Brown

7. Andre Johnson

8. Brandon Marshall

9. Julio Jones

10. Randall Cobb

Ya, I just did that.

Jordy over Julio though?

• Upvote 2

Easily. The only one I kind of regret right now is Andre Johnson, he should be higher. That was definitely a gaffe on my end. Otherwise, man, my list is awesome.

Nah. I almost put him on my list just out of fear he would come after me, but then I realized he was too busy hitting his momma to deal with me. Not Top 10. Vincent Jackson takes my 10th spot for the Cobb troll pick. If Dez is lucky, he can carry the shoulder pads of the players on my list back to the lockerroom after practice.

• Downvote 1

Nah. I almost put him on my list just out of fear he would come after me, but then I realized he was too busy hitting his momma to deal with me. Not Top 10. Vincent Jackson takes my 10th spot for the Cobb troll pick. If Dez is lucky, he can carry the shoulder pads of the players on my list back to the lockerroom after practice.

I hate the Cowboys and I can't stand Bryant but on the football field, he's one of the best there is.

• Upvote 1

Ya, when he's actually trying. Which is about 12.64% of the time. Not good enough for me, even if he's the best in the league that 12.64% of the time.

• Downvote 1

1. Calvin Johnson

2. AJ Green

3. Brandon Marshall

4. Andre Johnson

5. Josh Gordon

6. Demaryius Thomas

7. Dez Bryant

8. Antonio Brown

9. Larry Fitzgerald

10. Julio Jones

No receiver on the Packers deserves a spot on this list. We all saw how poorly they played when Rodgers wasn't in there. Putting Jordy in the top 10 is bad enough, putting him top 5 is extreme homerism.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

#1 :Lions: Calvin Johnson.

Best WR no question or debate

#2 :Browns: Josh Gordon

Given that he had a mixture of Weeden/Campbell at QB and missed his first two games, Gordon had one of the best seasons in NFL history at receiver. He is on the verge of Calvin.

#3 :Bengals: A.J. Green

Talented route runner and has a great talent for catching bombs. Suffers from Dalton's inability, but still produces. Has had problems with drops before though.

#4 :Texans: Andre Johnson

In and out a top 5 guy every year no matter who he takes on. Severely underrated but a great veteran and a face of the Texans franchise.

#5 :Bears: Brandon Marshall

His athletic ability is near the top. The only problem he has is his age. He is starting to slow down.

#6 :Bears: Alshon Jeffrey

Turned it on late last year like Gordon. Never seen a guy have so many highlight reel catches in such a short set of games.

#7 :Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald

Still the best pure pass catcher in the NFL.

#8 :Cowboys: Dez Bryant

Talented but troubled. I would have Dez higher if he wasn't like the Cowboys stereotype. Dude is an asshat who can't control his emotions. Lives off his name, not his consistency.

#9 :Broncos: Demaryius Thomas

Having Manning has certainly helped him a lot, but DT is talented in his own right. Once Manning retires, we can see how good DT truly is.

#10 :Redskins: Pierre Garcon

Yards after catch. Receptions. Pierre isn't as good a physical player as the other guys on this list, but he is a pretty polished route-runner. He also is big enough to push through some defensive backs after the catch. Think Wes Welker but more physically gifted.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1