Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Jets sign Chris Johnson: 2 year deal

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans will release Chris Johnson at the end of this week or early next week.
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora had a similar report last week. All we know is that it's certain to happen in the very near future. The Titans are trying to trade Johnson, but we highly doubt it happens. Teams already know Johnson is going to get his pink slip. The Jets are expected to show interest in the 29-year-old (in September). A handful of other teams could show interest in Johnson. Apr 2 - 2:51 PM

This is definitely an interesting development. Chris Johnson hasn't produced at a high level for quite some time, but the Titans weren't without a lot of problems themselves as a whole; including that offensive line. I think if Chris Johnson were to get with the right team and system, we may see a resurgence. Maybe not to the elite level that he was, but productive. He's still a home run threat.

Potential good landing spots:

:Cowboys: - 1, 2 punch with Murray and Johnson would be dangerous. Murray is already a beast by himself and adding a change of pace back like Johnson... I don't want to see this happen.

:Cardinals: More of a positional need for this team. Very tough division though..

:Browns: Believe it or not, the Browns may not be a bad destination. Splitting loads with Tate even though we know Johnson is a work horse. Their O-line isn't bad and they have some aerial weapons. If they can get some stable QB play, this could be a nice fit.

:Jets: Vick (most likely will beat Geno) with Johnson may work. Johnson had his best years with a scrambling QB. They also have Chris Ivory who was playing well.

Edited by dutchff7

I don't think it will take him long to find a team, and I definitely think CJ has a lot more left in the tank. I just hope that he doesn't sand bag it after getting the kind of mediocre contract he will assuredly get.

I agree with Dutch's destinations, but if I had to pick the most likely scenario I would say Arizona is a great fit. They could definitely use him, and they're making great strides with the offensive line. There are a lot of other interesting spots for him. I could see a team like the Giants making a splash with him. Who knows what will be up with David Wilson this year, and they have the oline and some other decent weapons to keep all the attention off him. The Patriots also are not off the table, with really only Vereen there as the sure-fire option. Ridley's fumblitis is still a concern I think. I think he would've been a boss in Pittsburgh paired with Bell, but don't see that happening with the Blount signing.

We don't really have the cap for any more big moves, but I wouldn't even be opposed to him in Denver for the last ride or two. Mike Sullivan is a cap genius though, I'd like to see him go to a contender with a good power oline.

I could see a team like the Giants making a splash with him. Who knows what will be up with David Wilson this year, and they have the oline and some other decent weapons to keep all the attention off him.

We didn't have much cap room left for him, dude, and that was before the Ayers signing. I don't want him, either way. I've never been a huge fan of his. I'm cool with us rolling the dice on Rashad Jennings for now and perhaps drafting a RB in the later rounds of this year's draft. :yep:

Edited by BLUE

This is definitely an interesting development.

how so? the writing has been on the wall for months, it's just been dragged out in the hope that somebody would make us a trade offer (any trade offer)

he will be cut before Monday because that's when our offseason workouts start and he's said he's going to report if he's still on the roster, if he reports and gets hurt at the Titans facility during offseason workouts then we're on the hook for his salary this year

:Colts: They have no run game and no apparent bell cow. If the colts land him they still dont have a run game but the potential is there.

:Raiders: Run DMC can not stay healthy, an ass load of cap, and no clear cut number one, how much does MJD really left ? Power and Speed, not a bad idea.

:jags: They could use a guy in the backfield, why not ?

:dolphins: lol at their run game situation.

:Rams: Zac Stacy, and ten other dudes, who will it be. Oh yeah and the guy that drafted him happens to be there.

• Upvote 1

Can't see him on the Jags but you never know. I think he had problems with the ZBS right? Plus they got Todman and possibly Denard Robinson as their speed/quick backs behind Gerhart.

interesting take from ESPN's bloggers: Which team signs former Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson? - ESPN

they've got a blogger for each team and each was asked what they think their team's interest is, the Rams and Jets were both listed as 'medium' everyone else was listed as 'low' I think they were all assuming a high asking price, which I think will be there initially, but I'm sure it'll come down

Can't see him on the Jags but you never know. I think he had problems with the ZBS right? Plus they got Todman and possibly Denard Robinson as their speed/quick backs behind Gerhart.

The last couple of years was rough for him n any scheme, I do think he may actually be decent in a ZBS.

Titans released RB Chris Johnson.
The move has been in the works for weeks, if not months. The Titans save $6 million versus the cap and eat a $4 million dead money hit. Johnson isn't the same player as the one that rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009 and earned the moniker CJ2K, but he still has excellent speed and hasn't missed a game since his rookie season. There's no chance he'll find the $8 million salary he was scheduled to earn on the open market, but Johnson is easily the best back to hit free agency this offseason. He won't be a true No. 1 like he was in Tennessee, either. Johnson is merely a complementary piece to a backfield. Look for the Jets and Cowboys to show interest. The Patriots and Rams could also be in the mix.
Related: Titans
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

I can't wait to see what team he goes to. I don't think he's done yet. I think he's still got some gas left in the tank. I'd love to see him bounce back with a 1200+ yard season.

The Rams make sense, as CJ was a Fisher pick. However, the Rams have an incredibly stable backfield with the emergence of Zac Stacy and decent play from Bennie Cunningham. The guy is gonna want starter money, so I think it'll be a while before his ego deflates enough to take a back-up deal with somebody. I'll actually just fire a shot in the dark and say the Vikings.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Chris Johnson would sign with the Vikings with A.P there. He wants to reemerge as one of the best RBs in the NFL again. You don't do that by signing to the team that has the best RB in the NFL. He'd barely see the field.

I'm betting it takes at least a week before he signs anywhere just because his asking price is going to be waaaaaaaaay too high initially

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339444/article/chris-johnson-tracker-jets-leading-the-charge

Chris Johnson tracker: New York Jets lead the charge

Now that the Tennessee Titans have pulled the plug on the Chris Johnson era, the artist formerly known as CJ2K immediately becomes the most attractive unrestricted free agent on the market.

We already analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of Johnson's game while pointing out potential landing spots. Which of those teams are showing interest in the speedy running back?

1. New York Jets: Three separate New York outfits offered the exact same report Friday morning, conceding the Jets' interest but cautioning that a signing would be possible only at the right price. In other words, the perceived front-runners are sending a message to Johnson's camp to lower expectations from the $8 million the running back originally was scheduled to earn in 2014. A source informed of theTitans' thinking tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that theJets came closest to pulling off a trade.Here is our Chris Johnson tracker:

2. Atlanta Falcons: Despite a ProFootballTalk report to the contrary, Jim Wyatt of The Tennesseanisn't willing to surrender his original contention that the Falcons are a fit. There's reason to trust Wyatt's instincts, as Rapoport reports the Falcons and Bills were among the teams talking trade.

3. Buffalo Bills: The Bills' involvement in trade talks is a head-scratcher. Even with C.J. Spiller andFred Jackson entering contract years, it's hard to see how there would be enough carries to go around for Johnson.

4. Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins alsodiscussed a trade, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Any interest in Johnson presumably surfaced beforethey signed Knowshon Moreno.

Teams not in the hunt

» Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys,Giants and Jets were among the teams that inquired about Johnson prior to his release, according to Fox Sports. As Rapoport points out, the Cowboyswere set to draft CJ2K at No. 25 overall in 2008 only to watch the Titans snare him one pick earlier. Teams sources tell the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, however, that the Cowboyshave no interest in signing Johnson.

» New York Giants: Despite the Giants' reported inquiries, The Record's Art Stapleton suggests Johnson isn't a realistic option for Tom Coughlin's club. Rashad Jennings was signed to start, and there's still hope that David Wilson will bounce back this season.

» St. Louis Rams: Johnson has an obvious connection to former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, but there's been nothing but the sound of crickets emanating from St. Louis on this subject.

I initially thought of the Dolphins but their offensive line... I guess the Cardinals are in the same boat :shrug:

My guess is that he goes to the Dolphins.

Apparently the Bills and the Dolphins are the top two teams on his shortlist.

what an odd shortlist.

I read they were the last two teams in trade discussions, but since since the trade didn't happen I wonder if I it's because he wouldn't renegotiate his contract with them

Carolina should go get him. Need to pay more money to our backfield.

Actually, Chris Johnson may not be a bad fit in Carolina now since I think about it. I think Chris Johnson would do best with a running QB.

Carolina giving a welcome home party to Johnson? Would be good until the other defense puts 8 in the box.

Yeah... It's not like they have any WR threats lol... Jason Avant is suppose to be visiting the Panthers tomorrow. He's far from a true receiving threat though. Good 3rd down receiver. Hope he gets a job.

There are rumors stirring that the Broncos are actively pursuing CJ. We've got around 10 mil in cap and with the severely depressed RB market I can see it as a definite possibility. If we could land him at around 5-6 per season I would be ecstatic honestly. When was the last time CJ wasn't the focal point of his offense? I could see him doing a ton of damage behind the power o-line we've assembled coupled with the air assault, and he'll make a nice pairing with Montee Ball.

We've got two years at most, go get it imo.

There are rumors stirring that the Broncos are actively pursuing CJ. We've got around 10 mil in cap and with the severely depressed RB market I can see it as a definite possibility. If we could land him at around 5-6 per season I would be ecstatic honestly. When was the last time CJ wasn't the focal point of his offense? I could see him doing a ton of damage behind the power o-line we've assembled coupled with the air assault, and he'll make a nice pairing with Montee Ball.

We've got two years at most, go get it imo.

I actually think that's exactly what he needs, a QB who's willing to put him in his place, and he's actually a better pass blocker than most people give him credit for, which is critical for a RB playing with Manning