Sign in to follow this  
Jordan629

Jordan's Eagles mock (7 rounds with some UDFAs)

1st: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
He's "love him or hate him" amongst the Eagles fan base, it seems. I think he has every chance to be the pick. Cooks might not be there at 22 and Chip expressed how much he likes Lee by calling him "the best WR I've ever played against". I think he said that in college, btw. He can be a perfect fit here, and he won't be the focal point of the offense with the gang (no pun intended) of Maclin, Cooper, McCoy, Sproles, Ertz, Celek playing around him. If Lee were being drafted on a team with few other offensive weapons, I'd say he'll struggle. But here he doesn't have as much pressure with the slew of weapons around him, and he can grow that way.

2nd: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
I honestly cannot figure out what this guy's round projection is. I see everything from early 2nd to late 2nd, to even late 1st after the combine. Anyway, I think he can be there at #54 and he's a very useful LB. Chip and Billy have expressed their urge to have their defensive players be versatile at their position, which is what Van Noy is. A "jack of all trades" LB. He has some nice pass rush ability, some good moves that might surprise you. He's decent in coverage too and tackles well. If you watch him, you'll see many comparisons to Connor Barwin.

3rd: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford
A Pac-12 guy that I'm sure Chip is more than familiar with. Like I said, Chip/Billy value versatility and while Reynolds strength is coverage, he isn't a joke in the run defense game either. He needs work on pursuing ball carriers as he kind of over-pursues and sometimes tries to land the big hit first rather than wrap up. But when he does wrap up, he's strong at it (also hits hard for his size). This team needs a safety with some damn coverage skills. Jenkins' strength is in the box, even if he is listed as a FS. Eagles safeties are seen as interchangeable between FS/SS anyway, but Jenkins strength is not coverage, and Reynolds' strength is.

4th: Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
Fits the "bigger CB" mold they seem to like now. Honestly, if i had to compare him to a CB, it'd be Cary Williams. He seems to piss off/agitate guys with how physical he can be. Just hope he knows when to draw the line because he can get away with more pass interference/defensive holding in college more than NFL. But that can be coached.

5th: Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville
Huge for an ILB and I like how he can fit in with the Eagles. We already need depth at the position and Ryans could be in his last year with us. Brown is a big guy who's very stout versus the run. Coverage is lacking, but he can contrast well with Kendricks speed and *improving* coverage ability.

7th: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill (Canada)
Before you say it, yes, I know. An o-lineman from Canada. Here me out first. Danny Watkins didn't start playing football until his 20s and obviously never had a passion for it. This guy has been playing since high school and also isn't 27. He's also is supposed to be the #1 overall pick in the CFL draft. He's very athletic and could grow to replace Peters one day. Game film of him is rare, but there's plenty of workouts with him on youtube if you wanna check him out.

UDFAs:

Marcus Williams, CB, NDSU
BGN just did a piece on him yesterday, oddly enough: http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/4/18/5585716/2014-nfl-draft-profile-marcus-williams-north-dakota-state-cornerback
This team needs some damn depth at CB so Roc Carmichael never hits the field again and we can finally give up on Curtis "i actually said I'm one of the better CBs in the game" Marsh.

Ricky Havili-Heimuli, DT, Oregon
I'm not on this "we need a huge NT" bandwagon like everyone else, as this defense is more of a hybrid 3-4 that uses a lot of nickel defense and doesn't call for an every-down 330 lb NT. But getting some beef and depth on the line can only help. This guy hooks back up with Chip and Jerry Azzinaro, the D-line coach Chip brought from Oregon.

Hakeem Smith, SS, Louisville
Another safety can't hurt. Smith was projected to be drafted earlier in the year but everywhere I see has him going 7th or undrafted now. Not sure what happened. Didn't look that bad when I was checking out Calvin Pryor.

Edited by Jordan629

I like the Reylonds and Von Noy pick but that's it