BLUE

Cowboys trade for Rolando McClain

Per Rotoworld.com:

Ravens traded ILB Rolando McClain and a seventh-round pick to the Cowboys for a sixth-round pick.
Desperation in the wake of Sean Lee's ACL tear strikes. McClain was the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft, but has "retired" twice in the last 15 months while saying his "heart pulls" him away from football. He's also been arrested three times since December of 2011. Now likely in need of money, McClain reportedly wants to play again. He lands in a spot with plenty of opportunity, as Lee's injury left an already thin defense on life support. If the 24-year-old McClain is actually motivated and in shape, he'll have a chance to get in the starting middle linebacker mix along with Justin Durant, Anthony Hitchens and DeVonte Holloman. The meager compensation leaves the Cowboys with little risk. Jul 1 - 4:29 PM

Trading for a retired guy, Seems legit.

• Upvote 2

His "heart pulls" him away from football?

More like the ghetto pulls him from football. The guy is a thug, not sure anyone can change that at this point in his short career.

lolcowboys. Burning a draft pick on McClain, even a 6th rounder is utterly retarded.

McClain will still be back to play before Derrick Rose.

Seriously though, least when he plays hes better then Blaine Gabbert. Jags got a pick for him and hes terrible.

if they can get him on the field he's better than any of their other options at this point

You can tell they are desperate for a Sean Lee replacement.

• Upvote 2

Rod Marinelli will probably step on his throat and make him a decent player this year.

He made George fucking Selvie productive, he can do it with McClain.

Haha, yeah...if this were for more than a sixth I would laugh my ass off at the cowboys, but seeing as it is a sixth I will just give a wry smile. Dude won't pay anymore, at least in any capacity that is worth while.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

I would sign every UDFA backer there is before letting Mcclain step foot in my building lol. At the very least you would get a player that wants to be there and wants to be part of football.

I bet he doesn't make it to September.

Edited by theMileHighGuy
  • Upvote 2

Rod Marinelli will probably step on his throat and make him a decent player this year.

He made George fucking Selvie productive, he can do it with McClain.

You can't really be this delusional can you? lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You can't really be this delusional can you? lol

How is that in any way delusional? Was George Selvie not a decent player last season? Why couldn't McClain be? I trust in Rod Marinelli.

• Upvote 2

accidental + not that I really disagree with Mathias but idk why this kid, lol.

How is that in any way delusional? Was George Selvie not a decent player last season? Why couldn't McClain be? I trust in Rod Marinelli.

Um, I don't really see where the comparison applies. As has been pointed out, McClain hasn't played a down in the NFL in two years. He failed the Ravens conditioning test. Marinelli is inarguably one of the top defensive coaches in the game, but what's he going to do with a guy who'd rather run the streets than be on the field.

Even if by some miracle the Cowboys can get him into playing shape, is this really the kind of guy you want to bring in your locker room? He's been a problem everywhere he's been and that's not just the NFL. The Cowboys have been underachieving for almost a decade now. They need to be bringing in high character guys to change the culture. I mean, say the guy becomes a starter and you start to count on him, he's one step away from a lengthy suspension.

They didn't give up much, but not many people get a second chance in the NFL after the shit he's pulled and he CLEARLY takes that for granted and does not give a fuck. This move is stupid as fuck and if you think otherwise then you're either a homer or fucking moron.

You seem utterly rattled, sean. Low risk high reward here. Period.

My bet is that he becomes a decent player.

Even a roster spot is too expensive to spend on this guy. He isn't going to care enough to make an impact. The only thing motivating him is money, but once he has enough to pay rent he's going to stop caring about his job. I can't recall this type of experiment working on anybody else in the past...

• Upvote 1

Even a roster spot is too expensive to spend on this guy. He isn't going to care enough to make an impact. The only thing motivating him is money, but once he has enough to pay rent he's going to stop caring about his job. I can't recall this type of experiment working on anybody else in the past...

you do realize the roster is 90 guys right now, right? that means that there are 2880 potential spots on NFL rosters, sure he may not end up on the 53 man roster (though I'm guessing he will if he comes back) but saying a guy isn't worth a roster spot this time of year is asinine

You seem utterly rattled, sean. Low risk high reward here. Period.

My bet is that he becomes a decent player.

Bringing a guy like this into your locker room to a team that has been underachieving since like '06 or '07 is just adding to an existing problem. It could end up costing your more than a swap of picks. Not everything is football is as quantifiable as as the value of draft picks. Team chemistry and culture can end up being just as important as talent

It's hard to make it to the NFL without talent, let alone stay in the NFL. Most every player on the field Sunday's has some talent but unless you understand what your job is and are willing to do what it takes to execute it better than the guy across from you then you're probably not going to make it very far. A lot of times players like that have a real negative influence on your team because they make friends on the team and start to get them to act a little or sometimes a lot douchier. It's not just the NFL either. A lot of us who played HS ball, played with a guy like this. I was a guy like that tbh when I played. I cared more about getting high/drunk and than football or grades for that matter and I didn't respect some of my coaches as much as I should have.

I doubt he makes the roster tbh but still. Acting as though this is a good move in any way shape or form is at best overly optimistic and at worst completely moronic.

• Downvote 1

You're making way too big a deal about this.

The draft pick the Ravens acquired for ILB Rolando McClain will escalate from a seventh- to sixth-round selection in 2015 if McClain plays 50 percent or more of the Cowboys' 2014 defensive snaps.

Baltimore would also send Dallas its 2015 seventh-round pick. If McClain spends five games on the Cowboys' 53-man roster this season, the sides will swap 2016 (not 2015) seventh-rounders. If the Ravens finish with a worse 2014 record, "then there is no swap." In other words, Dallas didn't give up much. Baltimore will hope McClain plays a lot this year, and that the Cowboys are bad. (Those latter two possibilities could very conceivably go hand in hand.)
Related: Ravens
Source: ESPN Dallas