Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Rankings of Powerfulness

Quality write-ups, man. I agree with your Eagles assessment. Nicely done.

• Upvote 1

You do a great job as always. But I just find it hard to agree with anyone that believes the Seahawks will be in the top 2 or 3 this coming season. Great team, no doubt. But you've got to be worried not about a "Super Bowl Hangover", rather the fact that you've got a whole group of young guys with new big money deals. Young guys, with money. They're all fantastic players, but I think the rate at which younger guys who get paid have been busting out after getting that contract is enough to scare me away.

I think that the Seahawks could be in a dangerous situation. Much more so with the fact that they feel it's necessary to start limiting Lynch more and more. Not liking the situation right now.

I actually agree with the Falcons assessment. It's pretty worrisome that our roster looks to have zero to little pass rush on it. Umenyoira isn't an answer, he's old and lacks that burst. I think right now that Mike Nolan is leaning on the fact that our tweeners that have been in the wrong system (4-3) for years have the ability to step up as 3-4 OLB and create some presence in the QBs throwing lanes. That's all we've got for hope.

If our offense doesn't stay healthy, we're done.

Edited by Rain Man

Finally someone else points out that the Panthers WR corps didn't really lose much of anything. Everyone has been harping nonstop on the WRs being so much worse than last year and its like, did you watch the Panthers at all last year?

And then you nailed it again by pointing out the defense lives on the front seven and we can plug and play guys in the back 4 because of the pressure those front guys get on the QB.

Well-written, sir.

I can't really see Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman slacking because they got paid. Doesn't seem like their M.O.. And I'm also not too worried about them backing off Lynch, because I think Michael is a stud. He was one of the most talented backs I'd watched in years coming out of TAMU. Just needs to keep his head on straight.

• Upvote 2

first one of these I've seen with a reasonable assessment of the Titans

I can't really see Earl Thomas or Richard Sherman slacking because they got paid. Doesn't seem like their M.O.. And I'm also not too worried about them backing off Lynch, because I think Michael is a stud. He was one of the most talented backs I'd watched in years coming out of TAMU. Just needs to keep his head on straight.

This, this, this.

Michael gonna be a beast :rock: Plus the Seattle WRs will be BETTER this year. Add that on to how their OL was injured all last year, and another year of experience for Wilson I expect their offense to be a lot better.

I agree with the Christine Michael assessment bud, I've been living to see him take the field since his stubborn college coaches benched him for lesser talent. But, in not saying it's their MO, just that history doesn't support them having heard like last year again after getting paid

Because I haven't really done much research this year, I pretty much have to bow to the wisdom of those who have, but Miami sitting below 3 teams in a row that didn't even hit .500? Come on, now. For the second season in a row, the Dolphins were separated from the playoffs by, quite literally, a handful of missed FG's and ill-timed decisions. I'm keenly aware that this is a key factor in sorting out winners from losers, but anyone who knows me also knows I will call Miami out on their shitty play when they deserve it, which is often. Thing is, if Tannehill gets even an average level of pass pro and Lamar Miller returns to the form he showed with his limited rookie carries, I believe it's a completely different offense. Considering how weak our pass rush was, the defense actually kept us in games more often than the O did. And whether you hate him or like him, adding Finnegan to the other side of Grimes adds more grit and it's an improvement over any CB1/CB2 combination we had last year.

I know I'm splitting hairs over only a few slots, but it irks me to see a team that has been THAT close in back to back seasons relegated to the idea that they might as well play for picks. They have a lot of improving to do, but they are better than that. That's my rant for the day. That aside, I do like these rankings. Good work.

Because I haven't really done much research this year, I pretty much have to bow to the wisdom of those who have, but Miami sitting below 3 teams in a row that didn't even hit .500? Come on, now. For the second season in a row, the Dolphins were separated from the playoffs by, quite literally, a handful of missed FG's and ill-timed decisions. I'm keenly aware that this is a key factor in sorting out winners from losers, but anyone who knows me also knows I will call Miami out on their shitty play when they deserve it, which is often. Thing is, if Tannehill gets even an average level of pass pro and Lamar Miller returns to the form he showed with his limited rookie carries, I believe it's a completely different offense. Considering how weak our pass rush was, the defense actually kept us in games more often than the O did. And whether you hate him or like him, adding Finnegan to the other side of Grimes adds more grit and it's an improvement over any CB1/CB2 combination we had last year.

I know I'm splitting hairs over only a few slots, but it irks me to see a team that has been THAT close in back to back seasons relegated to the idea that they might as well play for picks. They have a lot of improving to do, but they are better than that. That's my rant for the day. That aside, I do like these rankings. Good work.

Their O-line is shit. They lack serious offensive firepower. Grimes is elite and I like the Jones-Delmas tandem at safety, but Finnegan won't help at all. Finnegan is a bum at this point. The linebackers are severely overrated. D-line is about the only potential top 10 part of this team. Throw on a mediocre special teams and coaching staff; along with what could be considered the worst draft of any team, and the Dolphins aren't looking pretty this year. If everything goes the right way, they could be 8-8 or 9-7 with a wild card. If it goes the wrong way they could be a 1 or 2 win team. I personally would bet 3-5 wins.

Yeah I was probably a little too harsh on em. I just really, really don't like Joe Philbin. A fairer spot would be in the next tier up, ahead of teams like Houston.

Grimes is elite and I like the Jones-Delmas tandem at safety, but Finnegan won't help at all. Finnegan is a bum at this point.

I beg to differ. A look at his healthy 2012 season (3 INT/9 PD/101 total tackles) tells me he could bring something to the table. Besides, Miami doesn't need his ball skills on the right side nearly as much as they need those kinds of tackle numbers on the perimeter. A quick glance at the New Orleans game enforces that idea more than enough (screen to Sproles, anyone?). The health part is the big "if" here, but at this point everyone can usually agree that there are no certainties for anyone when it comes to health. These kinds of pre-season rankings are usually, if not always, developed in an injury-free vacuum.

Yeah I was probably a little too harsh on em. I just really, really don't like Joe Philbin. A fairer spot would be in the next tier up, ahead of teams like Houston.

The jury on Philbin is still out for me, but I am beginning to feel that itch telling me he isn't going to take risks. The Carolina game stands out as just one example, where I can't help but feel like excruciatingly conservative play ultimately lost them the game. It's like Tommy Bowden's Tigers all over again for me lol.

I would actually be relatively high on the Titans(well, for the Titans, as in like 10-6), but Jake Locker staying healthy is something I'd never bet on. Ryan Fitzpatrick made some games respectable last year but his gun slinger mentality and lack of clutch ability did us in. Now we're replacing him with Charlie Whitehurst(I like Ken, but god damn if I understand that decision, unless he wants to tank if Locker goes down)? :yao:

Whitehurst is pretty much a lock to play 10 or so games next year, and I wouldn't be shocked if we went winless with him at QB, which is why I'm in the anywhere from 3-13 to 6-10 range for the Titans this year.

I think that the Seahawks could be in a dangerous situation. Much more so with the fact that they feel it's necessary to start limiting Lynch more and more. Not liking the situation right now.

I agree with the Christine Michael assessment bud, I've been living to see him take the field since his stubborn college coaches benched him for lesser talent.

Ok, so I'm confused. Because I thought you were saying that part of the reason you're down on Seattle is that they're potentially going to be backing off Lynch's usage. But that would mean turning more to Michael, who you're high on correct? So why does the potential timeshare concern you?

I like his potential, but he's not even close to Lynch. They won a huge amount of games on Lynch's back.

I like his potential, but he's not even close to Lynch. They won a huge amount of games on Lynch's back.

I would agree with you on that, but Michael has a much higher ceiling than Lynch. Guy is way more explosive an athlete than Lynch ever was. Seattle has done a good job at getting the most out of their players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would agree with you on that, but Michael has a much higher ceiling than Lynch. Guy is way more explosive an athlete than Lynch ever was. Seattle has done a good job at getting the most out of their players.

I just don't think you go away from a guy who just carried you all season long and scored double digit touchdowns. It's bad karma.

I'll call it right now, as much as I actually enjoy (even though I hate them) watching Seattle because of the way Pete Carroll has his guys play the game, I don't think their going to finish the season on top. Make it to the playoffs? Probably more likely than not, to the SB? No.

There are quite a few teams I'm down on heading into the season this year, not just Seattle, but the 49ers and the Eagles head my list of doubts too.

The 49ers, I believe, are in a worse position than the Seahawks. I've already explained my feelings for Kaepernick heading into the season. They look to be set up great with all the additions they've made, but man you've got to be worried about the ground game soon. Frank Gore looked solid on paper last year, but he's got to put the brakes on soon. Aldon Smith is going to be suspended, but for how long? How soon until he screws up again? Bowman? I haven't been impressed with the secondary either. To go with all their big additions and great looks, they've got question marks like every other team in the NFL.

The Eagles are interesting. I love Chip Kellys offense, it's fun as hell to watch. It's not the hurry up that kills the opposing team though, it's more so the scheme IMO. He's got guys going every which way that people aren't used to. Eventually, defensive coordinators will figure it out and level the playing field a little bit.

1. :Saints:

2. :Seahawks:

3. :49ers:

4. :Broncos:

5. :Packers:

6. :patriots:

7. :Bengals:

8. :Colts:

9. :Bears:

10. :Chargers:

11. :Cardinals:

12. :Rams:

13. :Giants:

14. :Eagles:

15. :Bucs:

16. :Chiefs:

17. :Lions:

18. :Jets:

19. :Ravens:

20. :Falcons:

21. :Steelers:

22. :Redskins:

23. :panthers:

24. :Cowboys:

25. :Vikings:

26. :Titans:

27. :jags:

28. :Texans:

29. :Raiders:

30. :Browns:

31. :Bills:

32. :dolphins:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt the Seahawks repeat because doing so is so rare, but I find no compelling reason not to think that they're the best team in football. They come out of the toughest division in football, which resides in the tougher of the two conferences. They went 13-3 and won that division. Then they beat the other two teams that I believe to be top 3 in the NFL, and then they absolutely destroyed the vaunted Broncos.

Since then, they haven't really lost anyone of great importance. Essentially nothing is changed. All of the arguments against them seen really tenuous and ethereal. Things like the the SB hangover or that some of them have gotten paid since the season ended. That's not nearly enough to make me overlook how strong their roster is.

It's easier to see the 49ers taking a small step back because of defensive issues. A Smith suspension and the Bowman injury could cause some problems. But the roster is still incredibly deep. And even if Kaepernick doesn't actually improve, they still went 12-4 in the NFCW with him playing the way he did.

Re: Chernobyl's Rankings: Panthers to 23?! That seems to exceed even the most pessimistic views of their offseason.

Edited by KempBolt

I don't really buy the Saints at #2. Adding Byrd could be big but is the defense really that much better? If they matched up with SF in the playoffs, I'd take SF pretty easily. GB and Carolina would be coin flips depending on if it's a home or away game.

Also, I kind of think the Cowboys will suck next year. Their defense is an absolute joke and I despise that they're on national TV so much and am forced to watch that garbage. That unit is going to suck, and with Romo coming off the back issues, could be a rough year.

People need to stop freaking out about Lynch. He is going to get a lot of carries this year. Will it be closer to 280 than 320? Possibly. But there's no way we play in the bruiser grind it out games in our division without using Lynch a lot. He's one of the few guys in the league who can drag multiple unblocked defenders 5 yards and rarely ever cough up the football. The concept of wearing down a defense physically entails throwing a player like Lynch at them. Christine Michael is a very shifty runner indeed but would never be able to drop 100 on the Rams or 49ers. The organization made and then retracted a statement that it would be a committee. They won't change what just won a championship.

Football fans be like... Christine Michael is talented. Marshawn Lynch is screwed :panic:

To the original post, I love the assessments of each team and feel like those are all very accurate. The rankings of the top tier is very well done. I have some issues with the rankings of many of the in-between teams, mainly with the Rams being so low but overall solid rankings.