Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Chiefs give Jamaal Charles 2-year, $18.1M extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirms Jamaal Charles is considering a holdout.
There have been mixed reports amongst the local media, but Rapoport lends credence to CBS Kansas City's report that Charles won't show on Thursday. However, Rapsheet is using cautious language, saying Charles "may not (report) at the start." There should be plenty of updates over the next 24 hours. Jul 22 - 7:40 PM

I gave him a buzz and talked to him about how disrespected he is by that contract. Told him to just quit football.

I couldn't believe he signed that contract when he did. I know it's been a number of years now, but the Chiefs got a steal for him at the time and have been bending him over ever since.

Joique Bell will make more in 2014 than Jamaal Charles. Let that sink in. lol

Yeah, 3.6 mil isn't really going price for a back of his caliber. I'm not a fan of holdouts as a rule, but there are times when they make sense. This is one of those times, but here's a little nugget to think about for ya:

...The Chiefs have known for some time that Charles was highly unlikely to play for them in 2014 on his current deal.

The two sides have talked about a new contract, which would solve the issue...

...Chiefs fans shouldn't be too concerned. Most offseason contract disputes end happily, well before the real games begin. Kansas City's front office knows how much Charles is worth, and we'd expect the two sides to come to some agreement.

Greg Rosenthal, NFL.com

Joique Bell will make more in 2014 than Jamaal Charles. Let that sink in. lol

well, I had a long breakdown of the two contracts to explain why this is a ridiculous comparison, then my internet connection blinked off and I lost it, so to summarize: you're comparing the first year of a small three year deal with the signing bonus included to a lean year of a fairly lucrative six year deal without referencing the signing bonus, for a better comparison, Bell's cap hit (which spreads the signing bonus across the length of the deal) this year is $2.3M while Charles' is $5.23M, doesn't mean Charles isn't underpaid, but let's keep our comparisons in perspective

but don't take my word for it:

Joique Bell Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns

Jamaal Charles Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns

• Upvote 1

I am no particular fan of hold outs but the dude is underpaid so I understand his frustration. The team in a business sense should let him hold out and use Knile Davis who is a good RB in his own right. Forcing charles to either play or lose money while a young player steals his role and money basically. From a football and ethics perspective they should bump his pay.

I am no particular fan of hold outs but the dude is underpaid so I understand his frustration. The team in a business sense should let him hold out and use Knile Davis who is a good RB in his own right. Forcing charles to either play or lose money while a young player steals his role and money basically. From a football and ethics perspective they should bump his pay.

Yes, this is exactly what the Chiefs should do. I love this idea.

I think he shows up and he gets paid. With all this who's the best RB in the league talk in the media this offseason, Charles has been the only quiet running back out of the 3 and he let the media/fans speak for him. Charles basically was the Chiefs offense last year and if I learned anything about Reid, he does pay his guys that play. Granted, he had probably more power in Philly than in K.C but he'll help get it done.

I am always on the player's side in hold outs. Get paid, Jamaal! Indispensable player so they will have to pay him. Maybe they can compromise and Jamaal doesn't get as much as he wants but he should receive a sizable bump.

I think he shows up and he gets paid. With all this who's the best RB in the league talk in the media this offseason, Charles has been the only quiet running back out of the 3 and he let the media/fans speak for him. Charles basically was the Chiefs offense last year and if I learned anything about Reid, he does pay his guys that play. Granted, he had probably more power in Philly than in K.C but he'll help get it done.

I'm pretty sure he's basically running the show in KC, right down to the lunch menu in camp. TACO TUESDAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Per Rotoworld.com:

Chiefs signed RB Jamaal Charles to a two-year, $18.1 million contract extension through 2017.
So much for that holdout. Charles is now the second-highest paid running back in the league behind Adrian Peterson and is locked up through his age-31 campaign. On his previous deal, Charles was scheduled to make $3.9 million in salary and bonuses this season. He'll now make $8.3 million in 2014. It's well deserved after Charles put the Chiefs' offense on his back and carried them to the playoffs in 2013. Charles is entering his age-28 season. He's a locked-in top-three fantasy back, along with Peterson and LeSean McCoy. Jul 23 - 4:39 PM

That was fast. We don't even know if the holdout rumor was true. But like I said, Andy makes sure his guys get paid. Charles deserved it.

Sad news.

Charles' tweet was pretty good though.