Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Chargers, Woodhead Agree on 2 Year Extension

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/22/chargers-danny-woodhead-contract-signed/

Danny Woodhead outperformed his first contract with the Chargers.

On Tuesday, they gave him another.

The team reached a two-year extension with the running back. Woodhead was scheduled to enter a contract year with a $1.75 million base salary. Instead, he'll be under team control through the 2016 season.

Financial figures on the deal were not immediately disclosed.

"It's exciting," said Woodhead, who has a wife and two young sons. "It's where I want to be. It's where we wanted to be as a family. I'm happy this all worked out. Obviously, you want to be rewarded for what you do, but more than anything, you want to be at a place where you feel wanted."

Woodhead, a former Patriot, arrived last year in free agency. A career season in the passing game followed in which he caught 76 passes for 605 yards and six touchdowns. He added 429 yards and two scores on the ground.

The two sides had been in casual talks all summer. Negotiations began heating up last week, a source said.

Woodhead, 29, is part of a deep 2014 backfield. It features Ryan Mathews, the projected carry leader who's entering a contract year. The team signed Donald Brown to a three-year deal in March. He's expected to serve a complementary role.

Can't say I was expecting this, but I like it. He's up there among the best receiving/protecting backs in the league. Our offense is way more effective with that type of player in it.

This probably means that 2014 is the end of the Mathews era in San Diego, considering we also signed Donald Brown and drafted Marion Grice. Can't say that bothers me. He's turned himself into a grinding workhorse, but he's injury-prone and limited as a 3rd down weapon. I think we probably use him quite a bit this season and then let him go his way.

And the 2015 draft class for RB's could be seriously stacked.