Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

2014 All-Bad Contract Team

http://grantland.com/features/the-2014-all-bad-nfl-contracts-team/

I will put the list here, but they go into detail about why each guy actually makes the list, so if you are interested in that stuff I would suggest clicking on the link above!

QB: Joe Flacco
RB: Arian Foster
RB: DeAngelo Williams
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Greg Jennings
TE: Marcedes Lewis

OT: Sam Baker
OT: Michael Oher
G: Jeromey Clarey
G: Chris Williams
C: Alex Mack

DE: Kamerion Wimbley
DE: Everson Griffen
DT: Jason Hatcher

LB: Paul Kruger
LB: Philip Wheeler
LB: Erik Walden (Grantland was being nice when they call him a "marginal" talent)
LB: Jon Beason

CB: Orlando Scandrick
CB: Kyle Arrington
S: Dashon Goldson
S: Troy Polamalu

Never thought I'd see the day Troy Polamalu was on a list like this.

Romo over Flacco.

Troy's contract isn't that bad. It is technically bad since the dead cap hold is worse than the cap hit through next year, but the cap hit after this year is only $4.5 M then 2.25 M.

It may be the worst S contract by default, but it's only because so few S (particularly of his age) are talented enough to ever get contracts like the one Troy has.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Romo over Flacco.

Troy's contract isn't that bad. It is technically bad since the dead cap hold is worse than the cap hit through next year, but the cap hit after this year is only $4.5 M then 2.25 M.

It may be the worst S contract by default, but it's only because so few S (particularly of his age) are talented enough to ever get contracts like the one Troy has.

I mean, you say his contract isn't that bad and follow it up with saying things like "it IS technically bad" or "it may be the worst S contract by default"... Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying. I mean, in order to have a bad contract especially with an older player you would like to assume (and it would be correct here with Troy) that at one point that deal was parallel with the talent.

Per the article, Troy falls into the " Player you Fell In Love With" and the description of: " Perhaps the toughest contract to avoid. Teams too easily fall in love with the players they’ve nurtured and pay a premium to avoid having them leave town. "

Which is exactly what happened. Troy is a legend in Pittsburgh, probably going to the NFL HoF... They didn't want him to leave and are now and have been massively over paying for a declining superstar they wanted to keep. And again, as the article states.. The restructuring certainly doesn't help... He is still owed $22 million through his age 35 season.

It is what it is... and it really isn't meant as a knock on Polamalu or even the Steelers necessarily. They aren't even saying he is bad... Just the production doesn't meet the dollars at this juncture, and more than likely won't for the rest of the deal.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Oher's contract isn't too bad. Worst case scenario is he's an expensive backup and gets cut after this year with no real loss for the Titans.

I disagree completely with the Marcedes Lewis pick.

First, there's this (unless it's just me, 4.8 isn't slow for someone who's 6'6" and 270:

The Jaguars averaged a half-yard more per rushing attempt with Marcedes Lewis in the lineup last season.
It's the equivalent of going from 4.0 to 4.5 YPC, which is a big jump. Lewis, 30, is limited in the passing game by 4.8 speed and poor quarterback play, but his health is
good news for the Jaguars' Toby Gerhart-led running game. Jul 16 - 8:21 PM

Secondly, it's not like the ability isn't there. Yeah, his ten TD season is an outlier, but QB play, as well as who we've been rolling out there at tackle (Guy Whimper anyone?) have limited his production because he's not running routes nearly as often.

I'd have to agree that Clary is overpaid. No argument.

I think Jennings is a little unfair. He's still a great player and he was open all the time last year. Vikings QB's just didn't have the vision or ability to get him the ball.

I gotta go with Paul Posluszny as one of the LBs hands down. He's a solid player, real solid, but he's the 4th highest paid LB in the league. That's right, even amongst pass rushing LBs. He makes more money than everyone listed on their LB bad contract list. It's just a flat out terrible contract (signed by ex-GM Gene Smith of course.) There's no way he's worth that much. He's okay in his reads, not terrible but he definitely reads his keys wrong and gets wiped out plays more than he should. He's got okay speed, okay tackling. He's just the definition of "okay." He's got some surprising plays here and there like his pick 6 of Peyton, and sometimes he times his blitzes really well. But those are more so flashes than him making plays like that consistently. When someone just talks about a player's "leadership" and how he made a lot of tackles you know he's lacking. I just don't think he's that much of a difference maker is all. He has been in flashes, but that's not him. That's not good enough for 4th highest paid LB as well as the highest paid player on the Jags entire roster.

I disagree completely with the Marcedes Lewis pick.

First, there's this (unless it's just me, 4.8 isn't slow for someone who's 6'6" and 270:

Secondly, it's not like the ability isn't there. Yeah, his ten TD season is an outlier, but QB play, as well as who we've been rolling out there at tackle (Guy Whimper anyone?) have limited his production because he's not running routes nearly as often.

Sounds like Chad and him are connecting a lot in OTAs and Training Camp. One of Gabbert's many problems was his lack of throwing into tight windows over the middle. Gabbert basically lived on sideline throws and was shook of going over the middle (where Marcedes Lewis naturally would be mostly.) Chad will take those chances. Bortles will too if he ends up starting at one point. I expect Lewis to have a solid year and be targeted a lot in the red zone.

At the end of 2013 when the Jags had Pasztor at RT and Henne installed as the starter over Gabbert for good for the rest of the year Lewis was real solid. He had 4 TDs in his last 5 games and flashed that big play potential down the seam where he's best utilized.

Gabbert and Henne have held him back and so has the hole at RT for those years but he's still not worth that much money in my opinion though. :shrug:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Definitely agree with Goldson being on there. He's a safety being paid $8 mil + per year and isn't that good in coverage. With Goodell pussifying the game, his hard hitting hurts the team a lot too.

RE: Polamalu:

Tyvon Branch's cap hit is worse than Troy's and while he's six years younger he only played in two games last year. He hasn't really displayed skills on par with the top 10 Safeties in the league either. His cap hits increase each of the next three years.

William Moore is also paid as a top 10 Safety and doesn't really have the reputation of one. His cap hits get progressively higher the next three years.

Antrel Rolle is paid as a top three Safety and is certainly not considered one. At least he had the benefit of it being the last year of his deal.

Michael Griffin is the fifth highest paid Safety and will be a $8+ M cap hit each of the next three years.

It's not that any of those guys are bad, but they suffer from the same 'overpaid' factor as Troy. Few of them provide easier 'outs' as Troy's.

It's a matter of perspective. Troy is popular and used to be one of the best Safeties in the league. Those other guys don't have that reputation. Their contracts are arguably as bad.

More people have heard of Troy and he's older. That's why he's on the list over equally deserving candidates.

• Upvote 1

Wimbley is playing on a restructured deal that's very reasonable, he's also going to be playing OLB in the 3-4, not DE

Clary just took a pay cut from 4.55M in base salary to 1.6M.

• Upvote 1

I gotta go with Paul Posluszny as one of the LBs hands down. He's a solid player, real solid, but he's the 4th highest paid LB in the league. That's right, even amongst pass rushing LBs. He makes more money than everyone listed on their LB bad contract list. It's just a flat out terrible contract (signed by ex-GM Gene Smith of course.) There's no way he's worth that much. He's okay in his reads, not terrible but he definitely reads his keys wrong and gets wiped out plays more than he should. He's got okay speed, okay tackling. He's just the definition of "okay." He's got some surprising plays here and there like his pick 6 of Peyton, and sometimes he times his blitzes really well. But those are more so flashes than him making plays like that consistently. When someone just talks about a player's "leadership" and how he made a lot of tackles you know he's lacking. I just don't think he's that much of a difference maker is all. He has been in flashes, but that's not him. That's not good enough for 4th highest paid LB as well as the highest paid player on the Jags entire roster.

Sounds like Chad and him are connecting a lot in OTAs and Training Camp. One of Gabbert's many problems was his lack of throwing into tight windows over the middle. Gabbert basically lived on sideline throws and was shook of going over the middle (where Marcedes Lewis naturally would be mostly.) Chad will take those chances. Bortles will too if he ends up starting at one point. I expect Lewis to have a solid year and be targeted a lot in the red zone.

At the end of 2013 when the Jags had Pasztor at RT and Henne installed as the starter over Gabbert for good for the rest of the year Lewis was real solid. He had 4 TDs in his last 5 games and flashed that big play potential down the seam where he's best utilized.

Gabbert and Henne have held him back and so has the hole at RT for those years but he's still not worth that much money in my opinion though. :shrug:

That's not how this works, Campin. You're supposed to be arguing to take Jags off the list, not add them to it.

How is Mike Wallace not on this list? He is making 15 million dollars this year in base salary. That is the exact same amount Peyton Manning will make.

How is Mike Wallace not on this list? He is making 15 million dollars this year in base salary. That is the exact same amount Peyton Manning will make.

It's because Bill Barnwell only pretends to be smart.