Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Cobb: I Haven't Earned Extension

Entering the final year of his rookie deal, the fourth-year pass-catcher took a counter-cultural approach to his contract situation on Sunday, saying he doesn't necessarily deserve a new pact.

"I don't believe I've done enough, and I think that's on me," Cobb said, per ESPN.com's Rob Demovsky.

We'd be surprised if Green Bay failed to make a serious play for Cobb, one of the game's most electric receivers and a primary target for quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Waiting to pay the man could cost the Packers if Cobb blows up the way many expect him to in 2014.

NFL.com

While you definitely like to hear stuff like this, I immediately began thinking 'the worst'. While it's good of him to say, is he saying it because he truly believes it... Or does he want to wait a year before signing an extension to give him more leverage and eventually more cash in the new deal?

There is no doubt that if we actually play through this season without Cobb signing an extension before hand that we will be shoveling truckloads of cash his way next off season.

It would be extremely wise for the Packers to lock him up on a 4ish year deal right now at a premium, rather than wait and pay him probably close to what Jordy just got. With that said, from Cobb's perspective... It might just be smarter to.... say what he did, and play it out.

Edited by Favre4Ever

This too me is Cobb being honest, although he has done well in his first 3 years he hasn't been consistently explosive and I think he is acknowledging that. He hasn't been outspoken like a Jermichael Finley has been in the past, it's a contract year for Cobb and even though we still re sign him imo, he sounds like he has something to prove which I like the sound of.

I love the humble and modest attitude he has. It shows he's not self centered. Players like this actually deserve to get paid when they perform. The Packers have so many good receivers... They are scary..

Kind of echoing JD's thoughts, it's hard to know for sure how genuine his comments are, or at least what is motivating them. At the very least, it's most certainly the smartest and classiest thing to say in his position, considering just how good he has been up to this point. I like him, and my gut tells me it's an honest statement. But either way, the Packers would be wise to lock him up before he blows up, because with him I think it's "when" rather than "if".

People have been expecting Cobb to "blow up" as the article suggests since his sophomore year. He doesn't have major injury problems, but he does get little dinged up here and there costing him a few games over the course of the season. We just drafted 3 receivers this past year, locked up Nelson long term, and have more quality receiving options already on the team. We're pretty stacked as far as receivers go, so I definitely don't want to pay Cobb too much. He's not worth what we paid Nelson. I'd say $6M annually, anything more than that and let him go.

People have been expecting Cobb to "blow up" as the article suggests since his sophomore year. He doesn't have major injury problems, but he does get little dinged up here and there costing him a few games over the course of the season. We just drafted 3 receivers this past year, locked up Nelson long term, and have more quality receiving options already on the team. We're pretty stacked as far as receivers go, so I definitely don't want to pay Cobb too much. He's not worth what we paid Nelson. I'd say $6M annually, anything more than that and let him go.

No....he was on track for an amazing season before doing down with a broken leg and missing the majority of the season. If it wasn't for that injury, he could have surpassed 100 catches and is easily the most explosive player on this team. Letting him go would be a huge mistake.

No....he was on track for an amazing season before doing down with a broken leg and missing the majority of the season. If it wasn't for that injury, he could have surpassed 100 catches and is easily the most explosive player on this team. Letting him go would be a huge mistake.

Cobb wasn't even on track for 100 catches, let alone surpassing it. He had 31 Rec in 6 games, which is just over 5 per game. That goes to 80 rec over 16 games. I won't deny he's explosive, but unless absolutely none of the other receivers pan out, he's not worth a huge contract. Jarrett Boykin had a great year in his place, and we have 3 other new drafted receivers, Practice Squad players returning, (and then some UDFA I'm sure are lying around). We are bound to find one or two capable receivers out of that bunch (and remember, this is for the 2015 season, not now. We technically have 2 offseasons to find Cobb's replacement, if need be).

And this is just my humble opinion, but Randall Cobb's presence on the team doesn't determine whether or not we win a Super Bowl. He's a good player but not a franchise player (Matthews, Rodgers, Nelson, potentially Lacy), and I think we would have no problem replacing him in about a year or two, and tbh as long as Rodgers is our quarterback he could have any old receiver and make them productive. I'd rather save the money we'd spend on Cobb and put it toward a position that we have a deficiency at. Wide receiver we don't. I would love to see Cobb be re-signed but not at a huge price.

Cobb wasn't even on track for 100 catches, let alone surpassing it. He had 31 Rec in 6 games, which is just over 5 per game. That goes to 80 rec over 16 games. I won't deny he's explosive, but unless absolutely none of the other receivers pan out, he's not worth a huge contract. Jarrett Boykin had a great year in his place, and we have 3 other new drafted receivers, Practice Squad players returning, (and then some UDFA I'm sure are lying around). We are bound to find one or two capable receivers out of that bunch (and remember, this is for the 2015 season, not now. We technically have 2 offseasons to find Cobb's replacement, if need be).

And this is just my humble opinion, but Randall Cobb's presence on the team doesn't determine whether or not we win a Super Bowl. He's a good player but not a franchise player (Matthews, Rodgers, Nelson, potentially Lacy), and I think we would have no problem replacing him in about a year or two, and tbh as long as Rodgers is our quarterback he could have any old receiver and make them productive. I'd rather save the money we'd spend on Cobb and put it toward a position that we have a deficiency at. Wide receiver we don't. I would love to see Cobb be re-signed but not at a huge price.

He had 29 receptions in 4 and a half games, that's 6.44 receptions/game, over 16 games that's 103 receptions. In a offense that spreads the ball around so much, that is quite impressive. He's the best slot receiver on the team and is still young.

Can we manage without him? Yes, but he still brings a lot to the table.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

He's earned a new team...in Atlanta :yep:

Donny knows that Julio's gonna blow already.

Know your role donny, Cobb shall go nowhere

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are some receiver-starved teams out there that could really use a guy like this. One of those teams has a guy who knows a little bit about what Cobb brings to the table making personnel moves. I wouldn't be surprised if his "wait and see" approach lands him in talks with a certain Kansas city team in the next off-season. I'm sure Andy Reid can find a way to use him. Just a thought :D

There are some receiver-starved teams out there that could really use a guy like this. One of those teams has a guy who knows a little bit about what Cobb brings to the table making personnel moves. I wouldn't be surprised if his "wait and see" approach lands him in talks with a certain Kansas city team in the next off-season. I'm sure Andy Reid can find a way to use him. Just a thought :D

That sounds like it could be exciting.... If Alex Smith was capable of throwing more than 10 yards down field!

• Upvote 2

That sounds like it could be exciting.... If Alex Smith was capable of throwing more than 10 yards down field!

That's why he needs Cobb... YAC comes at a premium.

• Upvote 1

Dont get me wrong I feel he has a way to go to fully deserve a big deal but to me he is our #2WR and its going to be a no brainer for them to resign him for yhe long haul.

Nelson is obviously locked down now and I really like what im seeing from Boykins. This corps is looking like a #1 corps if pkayers stay healthy and continue to progress

It seems as if he's more interested in improving as an athlete of the game, rather than letting the yearly salary dictate his production. I like that he's being honest and interested in improving as a player.

That's why he needs Cobb... YAC comes at a premium.

I can't tell if this is a troll on Alex or not, but it's right on the money. Smith has obvious limitations, and Cobb's skill set would go a long way in masking some of them. He's explosive with the ball in his hands, and Alex can get the ball into his hands.

As far as Smith not being able to go long, while there is some obvious truth to that, he's not as bad as everyone claims. He doesn't go long often, but he's been known to make some big plays now and then. See: second half of 2013 season. The offense really opened up, and Smith was no small part of that. he's a better QB than I ever thought he'd be. I was a HUGE Smith hater when I found out the Chiefs were going after him, but I'm happy to say that I was very wrong about the guy. He's not the "elite" guy that everyone runs around gushing about, but not elite =/= dog shit. Not being Joe Montana doesn't automatically make him Brodie Croyle.