Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Cardinals sign Patrick Peterson to 5-yr, $70M extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

Cardinals signed CB Patrick Peterson to a five-year, $70 million contract extension -- that includes $48 million guaranteed -- through 2020.
Peterson is now locked up for the next seven seasons through his age-30 campaign. Richard Sherman received $40 million guaranteed on his extension with the Seahawks earlier in the offseason, but Peterson is two years younger and signed a longer deal. In terms of new money, Peterson will make $14 million per year, while Sherman received $14.35 million annually in new cash. Peterson was a top-11 cover corner at Pro Football Focus last season and is still coming into his own. At 6'1/219, he has the size to match up with any receiver. Jul 29 - 11:59 PM

I smell the salary cap rising.

You know, I understand valuing a player to an extreme, but I feel like less established organizations have a tendency to throw more money than necessary at great players, sometimes. Is Larry's contract worth it, considering this team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in several seasons?

I just don't get it. When you aren't an established playoff contender, at the very least you need to actively pursue deals that pay your main guys, but you also need to actively pursue cap flexibility, because clearly you're missing a few things.

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 1

Players who have elite talent have so much leverage in today's NFL. If the Cardinals don't dish out that type of money to Peterson, he easily gets paid that somewhere else. Is he the best corner in the league? I don't think so. Is he a top corner in the league? Yes. He has one of the hardest task that a corner can have guarding the #1 receiver all game and he does it at a very respectable level. He's an elite talent, one of the most athletically gifted at his position and is impact play maker. He's still very young and he's still developing. He is the face of that defense and what he brings to the table is very valuable to that football team. So you pay him. Those type of impact players, the game changers, you don't let them hit the free agent market. You just don't. You keep them and continue to build around them. With how organizations set up contracts now, there usually is always a way out so that they aren't crippling their team.

This contract is based a lot on upside clearly. Peterson is a special, special athlete but he's not worth this contract YET imo. Honestly though, like BWare said, if/when the cap rises again this could look like a great deal for the Cards, especially if Peterson continues to grow as a player.

• Upvote 1

How can an organization that still needs an offensive line an QB even think about giving a great athlete...but not elite CB this kind of money based on potential?

CB's in today's NFL are important..but they shouldn't be getting this kind of money..especially you know..when your entire offense is rotting around one of the greatest WR's of the 2000's because the lack of a coherent QB.

Cardinals fucked up. Plain and simple.

Dude got $10M for every TD pass he allowed last year. I would have to 2nd the "most overrated defensive player" nomination.

according to Spotrac.com, the Cardinals are now one of two teams with two of the top fifteen players in average salary (Peterson and Fitzgerald) the other is Detroit (Stafford and Calvin Johnson)