Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Tyron Smith, Cowboys strike eight-year, $98M deal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000371518/article/tyron-smith-cowboys-strike-eightyear-98m-deal

The Dallas Cowboys have one of the NFL's premier blindside protectors under contract for the bulk of the next decade.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via sources informed of the team, the Cowboys have reached agreement with Tyron Smith on an eight-year, $98 million contract.

Good move by the Cowboys in my opinion. He's one of the best LT in the league and he's still very young. Locking up a young elite caliber player like him to be the foundation of your offensive line is a great move for the immediate and future outlook of the franchise.

Edited by Dutch

Smith doesn't turn 24 until December… insanity.

He's 24 days older than Eric Fisher, and was drafted 2 years earlier.

They paid a lot for him but it was well worth it. He's probably the best player on the team. Good sign by the Cowboys.

Best move I've ever seen the Cowboys make.

Rarely do you see a deal of this length go to a non-QB that could realistically see it through.

Tyronasaurus Rekt, you just destroyed the team second round draft pick... how would you like 98 million dollars over 8 years?

I've got a big head and little arms!

$12.25M per year and an 8-year commitment is ridiculous for a left tackle, but if there's anyone who deserves it, it's Smith. Elite at his position and still incredibly young. Nice move, Dallas. :yep:

Only in Dallas do you pay a LT QB type of money...

Meanwhile, they still have one of the most overrated QB's in the league behind center.

Should've taken Johnny when they had the chance...

• Downvote 4

12.25M/season isn't really QB money... not any more. Unless you're talking about a sub standard starter.

Kaep's 18/season average is what Dalton and Smith are after. And the elites are getting or will get significantly more. So 12 for a LT who well may be the best in the league over the next decade (as the cap ceiling rises) seems right.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, by 2016 I'm sure this deal will be a bargain. Assuming there are outs for injury. Don't know the details at all. Jones' track record for crafting terrible deals from the club perspective is reaching legendary status. Securing a top talent who is years away from entering his prime is a great move.

This deal I don't have an issue with on paper. It's not like the Sean Lee deal. Paying for a top caliber LT is smart.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I hate the Cowboys, but credit where credit is due. This guy has been pretty dominant since day 1 when he was like 20 years old. That's really impressive. He's probably only getting better. He's also their only star that doesn't spend multiple games a year on the shelf. They had to lock this guy up and they did.

Edited by seanbrock

Tyron Smith is among the best of the best. I'm just saying if I'm the GM of the Cowboys...I fix some other things before I pay this man.

Only in Dallas do you pay a LT QB type of money...

Meanwhile, they still have one of the most overrated QB's in the league behind center.

Should've taken Johnny when they had the chance...

Left Tackles always got paid lots of money this is nothing new. Smart move pay your in house talent who obviously deserves to get paid. Guaranteed money seem a little high at first but looking at it more. Joe Thomas has more guaranteed and same with Eric Fisher.

Cholly just jelly the last time the failcons gave out money for a LT It was to some scrub name Sam Baker.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Tyron Smith is among the best of the best. I'm just saying if I'm the GM of the Cowboys...I fix some other things before I pay this man.

I guess I don't get why. Now you've sewn up that position with a great player so you won't have another problem to fix in two years.

I'd rather lock up my franchise LT over an average to above average QB. QBs who throws 275-300 yards a game and 2 TDs-1INT are a dime a dozen. A non-stop dominant franchise LT only comes by every few years.

• Upvote 2

I'd rather lock up my franchise LT over an average to above average QB. QBs who throws 275-300 yards a game and 2 TDs-1INT are a dime a dozen. A non-stop dominant franchise LT only comes by every few years.

There were only three QB's in the entire league last year who threw for an average of 275 or more per game and had a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. You'd have to be insane to take a LT over that kind of production.

There were only three QB's in the entire league last year who threw for an average of 275 or more per game and had a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. You'd have to be insane to take a LT over that kind of production.

You get the point of it, even though the statistics aren't perfect. A QB is easier to find. Sorry to use skewed statistics, I was just making a broad observation.

Guest Phailadelphia

The rest of the team may suck, but Dallas has slowly put together a nice offensive line over the last few years if Zack Martin pans out too.

After looking at some of the details of the deal, this is by far the best contract Jones have ever constructed for a player. He's locked up a premium talent and will very easily be paying almost 50-60 cents on the dollar for the going rate of LTs for the last half of the contract. Even as is, he's not paying top dollar. For a guy who has been incredibly reliable, has a lot of talent and has developed at an accelerated rate in his short time in the NFL.

This is a fantastic deal for Dallas. They got in essence, a guarantee free third contract at what will be pennies on the dollar for a guy who by the time his 2nd contract guarantees expire -- will be entering his athletic prime.

Jerry did real good with this deal. I still think he's the worst GM in the game. But more than willing to give him major props for this coup.

• Upvote 1

ESPN Dallas reports the Cowboys plan to restructure LT Tyron Smith’s contract.

Dallas currently has $13.5 million in cap space. Restructuring Smith and DT Tyrone Crawford creates $12M in savings. The Cowboys could save $9.1M from making Brandon Carr a post-June cut.
Source: ESPN Dallas