Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Jurrell Casey Never Considered Holding Out

Jurrell Casey is a big man coming off a mammoth season.

The defensive lineman is also seeking a lucrative new contract and has a high-profile agent trying to secure it.

Casey doesn’t want to be a big headache for the Titans, however. There was never a question about whether he would show up when training camp kicked off last Saturday. Rather than trying to force the issue, he set out to prove he’s still a force for the defense even though he’s playing a new position.

“Nah, I’m not that type of dude,” Casey said about a potential holdout. “I love to play the game of football and I don’t want to miss a beat. It’s a new defense, so why would I take that time off? I want to be here with my guys.”

Casey, a third-round pick in 2011, is scheduled to make $1.43 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract. He’s underpaid compared to some of the league’s other top-performing defensive linemen. Some of the best in the game are making more than five times his salary.

Last season he racked up 10.5 sacks and 90 stops, but did not make the AFC Pro Bowl team. This season, he’s switching from a 4-3 defensive tackle to a defensive end in a 3-4 front.

Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said Casey’s attitude has been “outstanding.”

“Human nature shows you it’s on his mind, but he is working. It hasn’t come up,” Whisenhunt said. “I think it is obvious both sides are interested in getting something done. But right now it’s about playing football, and he seems focused on that. And I respect the heck out of that.”

He hasn’t been a regular visitor to general manager Ruston Webster’s office, however. Casey instructed Rosenhaus to give him contract updates only if there’s something he needs to know.

“He is a great agent, and he is going to get the job done. I get to focus on football, and that will make his job a little easier. As long as I go out there and compete in the field, I’ll make his arguments greater,” Casey said. “It is very positive right now. When it is time to get done, you’ll see it happen. But right now I am focused on football.”

Source

What a beast of a player and an awesome guy to have in the locker room :yep:

He'll deserve every penny he's going to get.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing Casey is converting to five-tech, right? Who would your projected starters be on the line? (Including OLBs)

Oh and as far as Casey's contract situation...

I'm guessing Casey is converting to five-tech, right? Who would your projected starters be on the line? (Including OLBs)

Oh and as far as Casey's contract situation...

No, Casey is staying as the 3-tech, just as he was in our 4-3.

I'm expecting our starting D to look something like:

3 Tech - Casey

NT - Hill

5 Tech - Pitoitua

WOLB - Morgan

WILB - Brown

SILB - Woodyard

SOLB - Ayers

CB1 - McCourty

SS - Pollard

FS - Griffin

CB2 - Wreh-Wilson

Nickel - Sensabaugh

We've got a ton of depth at LB, especially OLB, so even though those may end up the starters, there's several(like Wimbley, Phillips, Gooden) that will see a good amount of snaps.

Really excited for Ayers in a 3-4. He's been such a beast when allowed to rush the passer.

Really excited for Ayers in a 3-4. He's been such a beast when allowed to rush the passer.

Yeah I felt like Ayers was originally drafted out of position with Tennessee running a traditional 4-3. I think he will have a breakout season this year.