Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Bucs trade a draft pick and TE Tim Wright to Pats for Logan Mankins

https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/504321112894107650

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/504328087119884288

4th rounder + Tim Wright for past prime Mankins.

I dunno, I gotta say Pats slightly win this trade :shrug:

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

Eh.

Short term solution at best.

Hope we still sign Incognito.

I've honestly never really been a Mankins fan, he is so overrated. He's been a big disappointment in playoff games for us. One thing I don't like is the timing of it, he is a captain and team leader, questionable to make this move so close to the start of the season. Probably more a move for cap space than anything, but hopefully this means Revis is getting an extension.

I looked up Tim Wright's stats. 54 catches is pretty decent, apparently he can't block at all. We did need another TE though, desperately. And of course he is from Rutgers. :megusta:

I can see how this will be a big boost for the Bucs in the present, but I think this was a savvy trade by the Pats in the long view.

They no longer have pay 7M to a 32/33 year old guard who is starting to deal with injury issues. And they get a 24 year old ascendant talent at TE plus a 4th. I think these are the types of moves that lend to sustained success.

So Connolly and Cannon at the guard spots? Leaves them kind of thin and they can't replace Wendell with Connolly, but that should still work out alright.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've been hearing the Bucs desperately needed help on the oline so the Pats just kind of took advantage of that but they didn't fleece the Bucs I don't think and this move should really help them out.

I'm happy. We replace Oniel Cousins with Logan Mankins. Tim Wright was possibly going to be cut so meh. Solid move. If we sign Incognito too, our OL may not be a disaster after all.

Yeah I guess adding Incognito would be better than what they had, but he's still a mediocre player IMO. I guess if they don't pay him much or leave a way to dump him after a year or two it's a solid move.

I think it's a good deal for both teams. I like Wright a lot and think he will be very good for the Patriots (will be their new Hernandez), but we are pretty deep at TE and just drafted ASJ to be our future TE. Our guard situation is beyond a disaster (O'Neil freaking Cousins is starting) and Mankins is a proven and very good guard. I was against signing Incognito yesterday, but after making this move I really hope we do. He would solidify the line and we would have at least an average player at each position on the line.

• Upvote 2

Word was Lovie didn't like Wright and was going to cut him anyways. He's more of a WR than a TE and I don't think he's capable of beating NFL corners. He can beat LBs and safeties and be an asset to a passing game, but he can't block and he isn't a stud receiver by any means. The 4th round pick concerns me more, but I'm really happy with this move. I mean, we were literally about to open the season with ONIEL FUCKIN COUSINS as our starting LG. Even if Mankins isn't the same player he was, he's a massive upgrade.

The Patriots asked Logan Mankins to take a pay cut before trading him to the Bucs.

Mankins was scheduled to make $6.25 million this season and $6.75 million in both 2015 and 2016. He wisely balked at a cut, knowing plenty of teams would be willing to pay for a borderline Hall of Fame guard that's been a top-10 run-blocker in PFF's grades for seven straight years.

Mankins gave up 11 sacks last year and it's gotten progressively worse ever year (prolly due to age) so his pass blocking is meh as fuck. But very good run blocker so thats good for Dougie. He's all banged up and old (though obviously OGs can play longer than most guys), I wonder how much left he's got in the tank. Still, move makes sense for the Bucs with those scrubs at OG they have. Just don't know if I would of traded a 4th rounder if I was the Bucs because I don't think they're gonna compete for the NFC South this year yet, I'm sold that the Saints take that easily.

Having Wendell at C probably didn't help Mankins pass blocking stats, cause Wendell is terrible and Mankins probably had to cover up for him a little bit. I've got fingers crossed that Stork beats him out for starting C spot, he just got back from an injury that kept him out all of camp tho.

But yeah, my eyeball test, since I watch every game, definitely tells me he has declined big time as a pass blocker. Still an absolute monster in run blocking though. Should be a big help to Doug Martin and the running game. But his inconsistency, especially in playoff games, has been something that has annoyed me with him for years. I'm fine with plugging in Cannon or Kline or Devey or whoever the coaching staff picks, I trust them.

We were using Michael Hoomananawauidkhowtospellhisname as our primary TE last year once Gronk went down, which really hurt our offense a ton. He's a terrific blocker but a lousy pass catcher. So once Gronk tears his femur bone in week 6 this year we won't be in as bad as a position as we were last year at least, so excited about getting Wright into the mix.

Edited by BradyFan81

Mankins gave up 11 sacks last year and it's gotten progressively worse ever year (prolly due to age) so his pass blocking is meh as fuck. But very good run blocker so thats good for Dougie. He's all banged up and old (though obviously OGs can play longer than most guys), I wonder how much left he's got in the tank. Still, move makes sense for the Bucs with those scrubs at OG they have. Just don't know if I would of traded a 4th rounder if I was the Bucs because I don't think they're gonna compete for the NFC South this year yet, I'm sold that the Saints take that easily.

Do you really think that the rebounding Falcons or the riding-the-high Panthers will have nothing to say about that? "Easily" sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

The Pats have a knack for getting rid of guys that can't do what they want them to do anymore. We know this. I'm not saying he's completely done, but judging from the Pats' track record, he probably doesn't have much left in the tank.

Do you really think that the rebounding Falcons or the riding-the-high Panthers will have nothing to say about that? "Easily" sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

The Pats have a knack for getting rid of guys that can't do what they want them to do anymore. We know this. I'm not saying he's completely done, but judging from the Pats' track record, he probably doesn't have much left in the tank.

I do. The Saints have more play makers on both sides of the ball IMO, plus better OL/DL play IMO, plus the best QB. I'd be straight up shocked if someone else wins the division (save key injuries to Saints players.)

I'll give you the OL, but there is no way in hell Nawlins DL > Carolina's DL.

I'll give you the OL, but there is no way in hell Nawlins DL > Carolina's DL.

Actually yeah I would agree with you. To be honest I was more thinking of the Falcons only for some reason. I do think the Saints have more playmakers on defense than Carolina though. Jordan, Galette, Byrd, Vaccaro. I wouldn't call Lewis a play maker really but he's a good corner for them too. Panthers front 7 is better though. Still think Saints just overall are a better team. Sucks that Cam is gonna be in pain at the beginning of the year :( Just too many questions with Carolina's OL and thus run game, the secondary, and can Cam's new WR weapons produce in the regular season, etc. To me the Saints are the team to beat in the division. Just my opinion though.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson