Sign in to follow this  
Vin

RGIII's mechanics have regressed?

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Robert Griffin III's mechanics have "regressed" in the "fundamental way of throwing the football."

"His throwing slot, his footwork, his inability to remain consistent in that," Jaws said. He's the latest to pile on RG3 following an injury-hindered 2013 season and poor 2014 preseason. While it's true backup Kirk Cousins has outplayed Griffin this month, it's laughable to suggest a quarterback controversy. The starter has more than enough talent to adjust out of the gimmicky Shanahan scheme and into the pocket passer Jay Gruden needs him to be. Strong weapons and unique running ability will keep Griffin's fantasy floor high in the meantime.

His mechanics could improve, but they are certainly better than last year. A big part of the game against the Ravens was his hesitancy. He threw a lot of balls late that were designed 3 step drops where he is supposed to get the ball out of his hands really fast.

RG3's mechanics have looked bad since he's come back from his injury. He looks very unsettled and erratic in the pocket. His foot movement looks pretty bad as well as his throwing mechanics from what I've seen from him lately. He's also missed some very easy and wide open throws. It doesn't look good at all. If he can get back to his rookie form, I'd be scared of him but right now he looks like garbage to be honest. If he continues to underwhelm, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk Cousins takes the job and be the better QB for that football team.

If RG3 does wind up busting, he HAS to be "considered" the biggest bust of all time rivaling Jamarcus Russell possibly even surpassing him when you consider the ransom that was given up to acquire him.

I know it's still a little early to say this, but I honestly don't think he amounts to much more than what we saw from him last year from this point on. We saw how good he was when he came out, an absolute playmaker. Ever since he had his surgery, he's struggled. Last year everyone sort of waved it off because it was his return. If you look at the way he's played in the pre-season though, you begin to wonder if he's just too damaged mentally from it. He looks scared in the pocket, and he still doesn't really look like he trusts his knee will hold up. A year after surgery if you can't trust it yet, I don't think you get back to where you were.

Unfortunately, because of how much they've put into RG3 up to this point (draft picks, franchise stock etc.), you can't just give up on him this quick. I have a feeling he's going to end up having a catastrophic year if the Redskins want to part with him. He's going to have to look absolutely freaking terrible.

Guest Phailadelphia

It's not just that it looks like he's playing scared. His mechanics have legitimately declined as well. He's regressing, which is really unusual considering most players just fail to improve. How many actually regress at such a young age?

^Pretty sure "sophomore slump" is a thing.

I've never been impressed with RGIII, tbh. He looks like a lanky high schooler in pads and the running dynamic with QBs has become retardedly overrated. He did play well his rookie season and I was surprised by his touch and ball-placement, but running around (and having designed QB runs called, lmao) with that frame has already fucked him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I always saw sophomore slumps as teams having enough NFL film on a rookie to find his weaknesses faster than he can shore up those weaknesses. RG3 just straight up seemed to have gotten worse as a player IMO.

I remember Thanatos posted a really good thread how sophomore slumps are exaggerated.

• Upvote 1

What the Skins gave up to get him makes the whole thing worse. Cousins outplayed him in the preseason and probably would be starting in most cases, not that he is any good either.

I think that what the team traded for him makes the situation worse for the team (obviously), but that does not inflate the expectations of the player or vault him into "biggest bust ever" status. The team that drafted him overvalued him, but that doesn't realistically reflect the expectations of the world/media as a whole.

The Raiders drafted Sebastian Janikowski in the 1st round, the only time that's ever been done. So, since he's not a HOF player that's kicking 70 yard FGs and changing games, does that make him the biggest bust ever?

Also, something about the Jags and a punter in the 3rd. They're too irrelevant for me to form a complete thought.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I remember Thanatos posted a really good thread how sophomore slumps are exaggerated.

As in, they pretty much don't exist for QBs. It's a media creation.

Edited by Thanatos19