Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: AP returns to Vikings

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 12, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has reportedly been indicted in Houston.

Fox 26 in Houston reports that Peterson was indicted in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child.

Peterson’s Houston-based lawyer, Rusty Hardin, declined to comment when contacted by FOX 26.

Peterson missed practice on Thursday and the Vikings did not explain why, although they did say he was not injured. Peterson was back at practice today, and Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Peterson gave no indication anything was wrong and was laughing and joking at the team facility.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that Peterson will now have to turn himself in to Texas authorities, which makes his status for Sunday’s game against the Patriots unclear.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by Favre4Ever

Lifetime ban, IMO.

• Upvote 2

From what I heard, AP beat his child with a switch (most likely something off a tree). I want to get out in front of this, because it will blow up out of proportion. This is going to be much more of a gray area than the Ray Rice situation.

Discipline of your children ranges very wide, what some people see as normal is abuse to others. The differences are great especially from one culture to the next. In the african american community especially in the south, things are very physical and may be looked at as abuse in other places. I have been disciplined in a similar way from a switch and much worse. I have seen much worse.

Again I am going off very early reports so don't try to come back and bash me later. But from what I've heard so far this is a normal occurence that is rarely done out of neglect, abuse, or malicious intent. I'm not sticking up for AP cause I don't know the situation. Just providing my perspective from similar instances and the social issue that is bound to sprout up.

• Upvote 1

^^ That is abuse. There is disciplining a child and then there is beating a child, and that is the latter.

• Upvote 1

Also, this has to result in a 6 gamer, imo. He has to learn that you don't discipline your child, physically, in any other way but spanking. You don't do anything else. You want your kid slapped for mouthing off, let his or her mother do it. You think about using an object? You better drop that, real fast.

Asiago Ranch and McKinnon will provide enough of a running game. Suspend him.

What the fuck is a switch?

I didn't know either so here it is.

1000x1000px-LL-04f94f67_bp1.jpeg

I'm not sure what to think about this. Clearly some suspension is necessary, but I have to admit that I don't know what its like to be hit by this. Those cuts look bad, but does it actually hurt badly? I do think that hitting your child when they're acting bad isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't know if this is excessive or not.

I was hit with hickory switches and paddles as a kid all the time, certainly not anything to that extant, but it does happen. Even more common in the south. That was in the 80s though. I read a report saying that's how AP was raised. I would never ever hit my kids, much less with an object.

I don't see the perma-ban coming, but he'll be done for a while.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Clearly some suspension is necessary, but I have to admit that I don't know what its like to be hit by this. Those cuts look bad, but does it actually hurt badly? I do think that hitting your child when they're acting bad isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't know if this is excessive or not.

That looks like an axe-handle lol

Switch is a branch broken off a tree used for whipping. Causes marks like that picture. Like I said before I went through that. Someone tells you to go grab a switch off the tree and they whip you with it. Southern childhood all day.

• Upvote 1

Abuse. Plain and simple.

My family weren't "switch" users.. I've never seen one, but for us it was the wooden spoons like you would find in your kitchen drawers, if of course we did something bad enough to warrant it. I'm not saying it's right, I would NEVER do this to my daughter, but I'd have to imagine that the long wooden spoons felt about the same. I don't feel like it's child abuse. We always used to get welts and red marks from it. It set us straight though. Looks like he hit him in places that are more fatty on the body, which is actually the idea. The hands are pretty normal for old days too.

Again, I'm not saying it's right. I would never do this to my daughter or any future kids I may have. I used to hate getting hit with the spoon. But I will say, it kept me straight and I turned out absolutely fine. I don't feel like I was beaten or abused. I feel like my parents wanted to make sure I knew right from wrong, and right from VERY wrong.

This isn't any where close to the stature of the Ray Rice situation where he knocked his girlfriend out. This is something that used to be considered normal years ago. Now, in this time though, people freak out about it. You so much as swing your flat palmed hand past a kids face only swooshing air across their face and people cry foul. Children, teenagers, etc. don't learn life lessons and they don't learn wrong from right by standing in a corner or being shunned with words. If that was the case, we wouldn't be having so many problem with spoiled brat kids in the world.

I digress though. I know damn well when it comes down to it, I won't be able to instill that on my daughter. Damn, she's going to walk all over my sorry ass. <_<

• Upvote 1

Switch is a branch broken off a tree used for whipping. Causes marks like that picture. Like I said before I went through that. Someone tells you to go grab a switch off the tree and they whip you with it. Southern childhood all day.

Went through the same but only from my grandmother. She would make you pick the switch out. Then when you picked the small little bitch limb, she would grab a bigger stronger one. DeadBanana.gif

With my mother it was always a wooden spoon. It was spanking, but after awhile I started to laugh at her when she spanked me so she switched it up to the wooden spoon. I wasn't laughing anymore. :lol:

But yeah, I never got spanked/hit so bad that I had lashes on my arm like that. It was always on my butt, where all the fat is. Not sure if that makes it better or not. I dunno. I was born in 1986, and most of the spankings/hitting happened in the early 90s. Probably a correlation like butta said with the time period.

I have no idea what happened with AP's situation so I can't comment but it'll be interesting to see how the NFL deals with this. The timing is the worst in AP's case because this is right after the Ray Rice shit. He's probably gonna get hit with a serious suspension because of that imo.

Btw what Rain Man and Camp said yes this is reality. It is a hot button issue. I'm not here to convince you one way or the other or tell you how life should be. I just hope goin forward real fans don't confuse athletes for being more then human righ or wrong. Don't confuse the NFL for a social platform no matter the popularity level. The healthy debate has to be had, but it shouldn't start because of a football player is in the limelight about it.

Can I just say that as a southerner I find it funny as hell that city folk and northerners don't have any idea what a switch is? :laugh:

I got my share of ass whippings with a switch growing up. Matter of fact, my dad made me go find my own switch for him to whip my ass with when I did something wrong. And if it wasn't big enough, he'd find one big enough and whip my ass twice.

That being said, I never had lacerations or broken skin like AP did to his son. Never on bare ass either. That's just cruel. You can inflict plenty of pain through the drawers.

I also find it funny that they don't know.

But your last point is spot on. You switch THROUGH clothes, not on bare skin. You're asking to get cuts and lacerations and that is child abuse, plain and simple.

• Upvote 2

I see it's already been said, but I'll say it again, using a switch is one thing, using a switch to the point of causing cuts and bruises is waaaaaaay overboard

also, I think Peterson may have found the only thing that will piss off more people than beating your wife will

Heard he got a season suspension. Didn't believe it. Then multiple people told me, straight face, that it was true.

I'm not here to defend AP. I don't know what it's like and I don't want to know what it's like. It sounds heinous. It sounds like abuse.

I'm not even upset that our season is now shot. AP was seriously a role model for me growing up, and even if I'm just overreacting to this I don't know how to look at him now. This honestly kind of fucked my entire night up and made me borderline sad.

EDIT: Would like to clarify, I misheard my friends. They said he was deactivated but also think that he is a shoe-in for a season suspension for this.

Edited by OSUViking
  • Upvote 1

He definitely went overboard with the switch hitting. Also heard there were hits to the kid's privates... I have no problem with spanking/switch hitting as a form of punishment, but those pictures terribad.

The season isn't shot--the running back position is incredibly overvalued by teams that have great running backs. Asiaga and McKinnon will be just fine behind this offensive line.

I want to see a season suspension, or an indefinite suspension, and if #28 is EVER going to suit up for this franchise again, he better enter into counseling and Anger Management.

There's discipline and then there's abuse. When a child is too young to understand guilt, you can spank them, whether it be with a wooden spoon, a switch or what have you. The purpose of discipline is to teach your children a lesson. The lesson Adrian is teaching here is not "this is bad because X" it's "Respect my authority, brat."

When I first heard about this I was like.. Psh, people getting all hell bent on nothing. Then I came here, saw the picture and I've done a complete 180. As noted previously, big difference between abuse and discipline -- even if the line between them isn't as large. The line was clearly crossed, and with the alleged mindset of Peterson assumed through his attorney's statement (potentially dangerous), you have to wonder how often this kind of thing happens.

This could be one of the saddest most unexpected endings to one of the greatest NFL careers. Hardest runner, textbook work-ethic, and one of the true role-model athletes (from a sports career perspective). Also came off as one of the most self-less players. Never mouthy or distractive, nor ever wanting to play for a better team. I still love him as an athlete and always will. He also did a lot with his life with never really having a father figure around growing up. He was the true iron-man of the RB position. In a lot of ways I think he redefined the RB position.

Edited by BC

I thought the kid was 11, not 4.

Edit: never mind I guess that report was wrong.

Also, I think some suspension is warranted but I'm leaning towards Peterson not being a bad person for this. I bet he was punished the same way when he was young and honestly views it as a legitimate form of punishment.

Edited by blotsfan