Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Ryan Mathews' early diagnosis is sprained MCL

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Union-Tribune San Diego confirms the "initial prognosis" for Ryan Mathews' right knee injury is a sprained MCL.
It remains "unclear how much time" Mathews will miss. Mathews is expected to be "further evaluated," but a sprained MCL would be good news at this point, as opposed to an ACL tear. Mathews could be back within a month. The Chargers' bye isn't until Week 10, so Mathews won't have that date to work around. Look for Donald Brown to take over as San Diego's primary back while Danny Woodhead continues to handle most passing-down and change-of-pace work. Sep 14 - 9:20 PM

I'm not happy he's injured, but I have to say it's a little bit of dark humor that Ryan Mathews got injured while trying to recover his own fumble.

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the NFL Network, Ryan Mathews' sprained MCL could keep him out 4-5 weeks.
The timetable was established following a Monday MRI. We wouldn't rule out the ultra-tough (yet fragile) Mathews getting back sooner, but Donald Brown needs to be added in all formats. He's going to pick up the majority of early-down work in this run-first scheme, with Danny Woodhead mostly staying in a passing-back role. Mathews, who had 23 carries for 72 yards and one touchdown through two games, should be able to make a full recovery without surgery. Sep 15 - 12:13 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, there is a "chance" Ryan Mathews (knee) could return for the Chargers' Week 9 game against the Dolphins.
Mathews' MCL sprain has cost him six weeks. As the Chargers have begun to lose games, they may feel more urgency to get their best early-down runner back on the field. "That's in my head," Mathews said Friday of a potential Week 9 return. "I'm just going keep doing my treatment this week, come back on Monday, and see what they (team doctors) say." Per beat writer Michael Gehlken, Mathews is "clearly close," looks conditioned, and his "right knee was stable" during a Thursday evening workout before San Diego's loss to Denver. Mathews should be stashed in all fantasy leagues. Oct 24 - 9:10 PM