Sign in to follow this  
Sarge

Goodell's Press Conference

Discuss.

Edited by Sarge

40+ minutes of saying nothing.

• Upvote 1

As I've said before I'm not really for the idea of him losing his job over some fluke media created witch hunt in the NFL. I rather him lose his job for messing up the great game of professional football with excessive rules and what not.

With that being said he played it perfectly. He had pretty much three pre-made excuses that covered all hard-hitting questions.

• Anything dealing with the original Ray Rice suspension and conversation: Appeal so can't talk about it

• Anything dealing with the NFL seeing the tape and lying: Muller investigation is ongoing and independant ask him

• Anything dealing with his job: We have a new committee, new experts, and new ideas working on a new uniform policy right now. We all mess up so now we are going to GET IT RIGHT.

Classic OG smooth in and out operation with all the confidence in the world he will make it through this storm. Realistically there isn't much he will have in place right now. It takes time to create a strong policy that address all conduct and will hold up going forward. As far as questions about what he did or didn't do the smart move is to never incriminate yourself. He stood there and took all the nasty heat that the NFL owners didn't want to. That is what he is paid for.

There is nothing at this point I think that will convince me that he wasn't fully aware of the Rice situation, that he cowed to an owner that wanted to keep a cherished player, and that he attempted to keep his complicit nature of these events unknown.

I simply do not trust anything that comes out of his mouth. And I would not be shocked in the least that the most contrite person in all of this ends up being Ray Rice.

Dude has to go. Not because he made a mistake in applying a lame punishment. But because he willfully conspired in a public lie by way of a back room deal and then lamely tried to deflect his culpability in this affair by trying to ruin the remainder of a player's career.

I'm far from a conspiracy theorist. But his incredibly unbelievable account of his knowledge about this affair and really the totality of the events as we know it now really defies everything we'd reasonably expect even an incompetent commissioner to investigate. Goodell is amazingly astute and his thoroughness in these matters is top tier. I just don't believe him at all that he didn't know and I do believe that he sacrificed his public trust at the behest of one of his close friends and 'masters'.

This whole thing is completely media driven. And altogether kinda pointless. There is no good guy in this whole thing.

Give credit where credit is due though. Part of Goodell's job is to have the finger drawn towards him and away from owners, etc **cough cough** Ravens **cough cough**. And he's great at it (probably not by choice).

His job is safe.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Everything, everywhere is media driven. The media tells people when, how, why to act, feel, and think the way they do.

Everything, everywhere is media driven. The media tells people when, how, why to act, feel, and think the way they do.

This is true, but if you look at the suspensions or the way these things were handled, they were on par with how they were handled in the past.

Goodell admitted he made the wrong call on the suspension length of Ray Rice.

If he's committed to trying to change the problems they are having now, then let him. In a way, it's his job to make mistakes and fix them. You don't make ground on rules and regulations if you don't pinpoint the problems as they are revealed.

By this time next year, this entire issue will be a non-factor in any sort of discussion.

Edited by Rain Man

His job is safe because he's great at being a puppet, not because he's great at his job.

Granted, it's arguable that being a puppet is his job, but his public perception and vocal decision making is so clearly wrong that he's proven incompetent at best at the wide range of other aspects of his job.

Edited by Cobresol

Id rather shave my balls with a chainsaw than listen to that ass clown for 40 minutes.