Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Who Is Better At Each Aspect - Rice or Megatron?

Me, Sarge and Sean were having a debate in the chat about who the greatest WR of all time is. I'm of the opinion that it's Megatron, they side with Jerry Rice. So, I decided to post this thread to figure out who matches YOUR ideal receiver better...Jerry Rice or Calvin Johnson?

Way I'm going about it using several different attributes, and you will list who you think is the better player at each certain attribute, and rank from 1 to 10 how important that attribute is to you in a receiver.

After a few days/enough people have posted, I'll tally who has the most selections and who has the higher overall score(importance).

Those attributes are -

Football IQ - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Dedication - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Route Running - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Body Control(Agility/Balance/Etc) - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Hands - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Speed - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Jumping/Leaping - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Catch Radius - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Physicality - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Blocking - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Durability - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

Leadership - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)

I'm not going to do a number scale, just who I personally think has the edge in each category.

Football IQ - Rice

Dedication - Rice

Route Running - Rice

Body Control - Johnson

Hands - Rice

Speed - Johnson

Jumping/Leaping - Johnson

Catch Radius - Johnson

Physicality - Johnson

Blocking - Johnson

Durability - Rice

Leadership - Rice

• Upvote 1

Football IQ - (Rice) - (7)

Dedication - (Rice) - (8)

Route Running - (Rice) - (7)

Body Control(Agility/Balance/Etc) - (Johnson) - (6)

Hands - (Rice) - (9)

Speed - (Johnson) - (5)

Jumping/Leaping - (Johnson) - (4)

Catch Radius - (Johnson) - (7)

Physicality - (Johnson) - (6)

Blocking - (Tie) - (4)

Durability - (Rice) - (7)

Leadership - (Rice) - (8)

Rice wins 50-32 over Calvin. Calvin is the bigger threat, but Rice is the most complete package we'll probably ever see.

Football IQ - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Dedication - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (Over 10,000)

Route Running - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Body Control(Agility/Balance/Etc) - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Hands - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Speed - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Jumping/Leaping - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Catch Radius - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Physicality - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Blocking - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (8

Durability - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (10)

Leadership - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - Neither guy are rah rah speech guys. Rice stuck primarily to himself and Johnson seems relatively quiet for the most part.

Calvin Johnson is better at all of the athletic attributes. Jerry Rice is better at all the technical traits that actually epitomize the position.

Speed - (Johnson) - (5)

Jumping/Leaping - (Johnson) - (4)

giphy.gif

So glad you're not a Madden rater lol.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

giphy.gif

So glad you're not a Madden rater lol.

I'll take the slower guy with glue hands and supreme route running/technical abilities over a speed/athletic monster.

You rated everything a 10, bro. I'm trying to be better across the board and have lower rankings. :rofl: It is how important those traits are to you, not how good the player is, right?

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1

I'll take the slower guy with glue hands and supreme route running/technical abilities over a speed/athletic monster.

You rated everything a 10, bro. I'm trying to be better across the board and have lower rankings. :rofl: It is how important those traits are to you, not how good the player is, right?

Ah, I misunderstood the the thread. This is why it's not good to post as soon as you wake up in the morning. I thought it was just simply rating their attributes. I tend to skim through things and not actually read when I first wake up lol.

Football IQ - (Rice) - (7)

Dedication - (Rice) - (6)

Route Running - (Rice) - (8)

Body Control(Agility/Balance/etc) - (Johnson) - (8)

Hands - (Rice) - (9)

Speed - (Johnson) - (7)

Jumping/Leaping - (Johnson) - (7)

Physicality - (Johnson) - (7)

Blocking - (Tie) - (5)

Durability - (Rice) - (9)

Leadership - (Rice) - (5)

Edited by BJORN

Football IQ - Rice - 10

Dedication - Rice - 10

Route Running - Rice - 10

Body Control(Agility/Balance/Etc) - Johnson - 8

Hands - Rice - 9

Speed - Johnson - 10

Jumping/Leaping - Johnson - 10

Catch Radius - Johnson - 9

Physicality - Johnson - 9

Blocking - Johnson - 7

Durability - Rice - 9

Leadership - Not a clue

Rice: 48

Johnson: 53

Football IQ - Rice
Dedication - Rice
Route Running - Rice
Body Control - Rice
Hands - Rice
Speed - Johnson
Catch Radius - Johnson
Physicality - Johnson
Blocking - Push
Durability - Rice
Leadership - Rice

Sometimes the best football player isn't the best athlete. Jerry Rice saw the football field like no other player ever. Saw the soft spots in zones, put himself in the right positions after the pocket broke down, had eyes in the back of his head after the catch, you name it. He had a Michael Jordan-like focus and competitiveness. The production this guy had in the era he played in is just unreal. How many other guys from his era are still at the top of every record? Calvin Johnson could potentially surpass Rice but I don't think he's there yet.

• Upvote 1

Football IQ - Rice
Dedication - Rice
Route Running - Rice
Body Control - Johnson
Hands - Rice
Speed - Johnson
Catch Radius - Johnson
Physicality - Rice - people can say Johnson all they want, he's got a big frame with powerful arms but Rice was more physical because he HAD to be. It was a time that as a receiver if you weren't physical, you were in trouble. Game was harder, defensive players had a lot longer leashes.
Blocking - Johnson
Durability - Rice
Leadership - Rice

• Upvote 1

Football IQ - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10) 8

Dedication - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)10

Route Running - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10) 9

Body Control(Agility/Balance/Etc) - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)9

Hands - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)10

Speed - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)10

Jumping/Leaping - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)8

Catch Radius - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)8

Physicality - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)7

Blocking - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10) 6

Durability - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)8

Leadership - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)8

Rice: 17

Johnson: 58

This really is not close imo. Some of you are overrating Rice's hands, to this point when it comes to hands at the beginning of his career in comparison to calvin he was terrible. He did not start getting his hands the way we remember them until 94. Leadership, really are some people just giving it to Rice because he is Jerry ? Calvin is the leader of that team over stafford, are you going to tell me it was Rice over Montana ? Come on. The rest such as physcial attirbutes, was it even really close ? Johnson destroys Rice in every single area of that.

Edited by Ngata_Chance
  • Upvote 1

Football IQ - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10) 8

Dedication - (Rice/Johnson/Tie) - (1 to 10)10

Calvin Johnson football IQ is up there with Rice's? Calvin Johnson dedication surpasses the hardest working football player in the history of the game?? No one touched Jerry Rice's effort on the field and he put 200% of everything he had into the game. There's no way that Calvin Johnson's dedication can touch Jerry Rice. Rice was the most motivated person to ever play the game and his work ethic was exemplary. Have you seen the hill lol?

Edited by Dutch

Calvin Johnson football IQ is up there with Rice's? Calvin Johnson dedication surpasses the hardest working football player in the history of the game?? No one touched Jerry Rice's effort on the field and he put 200% of everything he had into the game. There's no way that Calvin Johnson's dedication can touch Jerry Rice. Rice was the most motivated person to ever play the game and his work ethic was exemplary. Have you seen the hill lol?

Of course I have, and really what proof is there that his IQ was higher ? Is this really quantifiable between the two ? I mean what have you seen Jerry do that Calvin has not ? Calvin finds the soft spot in zones, comes back to the QB, and is on the same page with an inferior QB. What is it Rice did that you think makes him the football Einstein ? So dedication is measured by running up a hill....come on. Was he in shape ? Sure, but to say that is the summation of dedication is not accurate. EVERY account says that Calvin is in the wight room, running, studying film, still running routes, working on lateral agility, the works. People are aggrandizing Jerry and the myth is growing larger than the man imo.

Of course I have, and really what proof is there that his IQ was higher ? Is this really quantifiable between the two ? I mean what have you seen Jerry do that Calvin has not ? Calvin finds the soft spot in zones, comes back to the QB, and is on the same page with an inferior QB. What is it Rice did that you think makes him the football Einstein ? So dedication is measured by running up a hill....come on. Was he in shape ? Sure, but to say that is the summation of dedication is not accurate. EVERY account says that Calvin is in the wight room, running, studying film, still running routes, working on lateral agility, the works. People are aggrandizing Jerry and the myth is growing larger than the man imo.

It's not just the hill but how his life was totally consumed by football all throughout the year and offseason. A lot of players worked out in the offseason but the degree that Jerry Rice did it was insane. He was totally obsessed with his craft and took it to an entirely different level of workout. The documentaries and hearing interviews of his dedication and work ethic is not mere myth. His career reflects it. The heart on the field, stats, and all. The man dedicated 20 years of his life in the NFL. There's no way Calvin can be on the same level of dedication that Rice was.

"Dedication", "football IQ" stuff is pretty meaningless imo. How do we know who was more dedicated? Bigger leader?

Are we basing this off of how many football videos and clips we've seen of someone working out? How many "reports" we hear about a guy coming into training camp looking "bigger, stronger, faster, etc"? What exactly does any of that prove? Seems like a whole lot of taboo to me.

Anyway, I'll just +1 Ngata's post because were I to do this it would seem far too homerish.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Jerry Rice used to throw bricks at homeless people to get better hands.

• Upvote 1

At the end of the day, wouldn't a better question be "Who would you rather have?"

Edited by Vin