Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

If you could remove, change, and add a rule in the NFL, which would they be?

Name a rule you'd eradicate, rule you'd change, and a rule you'd add to the NFL

1. Remove: I'd get rid of illegal contact. Absurd penalty that shouldn't exist.

2. Change: I'd get rid of automatic first downs on anything that isn't a personal foul. There's no reason 5 yard penalties should be automatic firsties. The only change I'd consider over that one is centralizing all review (nothing under the hood, in game) and adding personal foul penalties to things that can be reviewed, so defensive players stop getting boned by absurd flags around the quarterback.

3. Add: I would make chop blocks completely illegal. Dirtiest play in football, and I think we're a handful of years from it being made illegal at all levels.

1. Remove: Celebration penalties.

2. Change: Offensive holding becomes a 5 yard penalty and a loss of down. So if you hold on 1st and 10, it becomes 2nd and 15. Hey, if defensive holding is 5 yards and an automatic first down, why shouldn't offenses suffer more when they hold?

3. Add: Nothing. I think there are already too many rules in the first place.

Remove: Blows to the QB's head being a 15-yard penalty. I shouldn't be penalized for my hand grazing your helmet.

Change: PI in the endzone needs to be just a 15-yard penalty, not an automatic ball placement at the 1 yard line. Or just make it a 15-yard penalty regardless of the location. I don't think that has harmed the college game at all.

Add: Nothing.

I just want 2010 back, basically. Kickoffs at the 30. Minor pass interference gets ignored. Hits on quarterbacks legal.

Remove: Celebration penalty. Its dumb we have to even bring this up, nothing is wrong with celebrating after a score.

Change: Defenseless player. If the offensive player lowers his head, he should no longer be considered defenseless and it shouldn't be a penalty. I thought this was already the rule but it doesn't appear to be enforced if it is. They also need to give a little lead way here.

Add: Nothing. Too many rules already for refs to worry about.

1. Remove: Celebration penalties.

2. Change: Offensive holding becomes a 5 yard penalty and a loss of down. So if you hold on 1st and 10, it becomes 2nd and 15. Hey, if defensive holding is 5 yards and an automatic first down, why shouldn't offenses suffer more when they hold?

3. Add: Nothing. I think there are already too many rules in the first place.

I don't think I like the idea of turning it over on downs off of an offensive holding call. Those can be really iffy anyway, to decide a game on a 4th down try and give the offense no chance at all to convert seems like a bad idea.

No worse than giving the offense a 1st down on 4th down due to defensive holding, IMO.

Remove: Illegal contact. Joke penalty.

Change: Lose a timeout for challenging a turnover. Fucking wasteful, just tell the coach no.

Add: Any player who contacts the ball is fair game to a complete tackle/hit. If you touch the ball, you're not fucking defenseless.

Remove: Allowing the NFL Commissioner to be Roger Goodell.

Change: Roger Goodell being Commisioner.

Add: If you are still named Roger Goodell and commissioner of the NFL becuase you are the lowest form of human life on the planet and should not be allowed to share my oxygen, you are to be publicly beaten to death by the angry fans you have alienated while they rain down obscenities as they mercilessly beat you. Then before you die they cut off your eye lids to prevent you from blinking and then put you in a dark room and have a disposable camera flash in your eyes until you have a seizure and die.

• Upvote 2

Add: If you are still named Roger Goodell and commissioner of the NFL becuase you are the lowest form of human life on the planet and should not be allowed to share my oxygen, you are to be publicly beaten to death by the angry fans you have alienated while they rain down obscenities as they mercilessly beat you. Then before you die they cut off your eye lids to prevent you from blinking and then put you in a dark room and have a disposable camera flash in your eyes until you have a seizure and die.

You need to see a medical professional.

giphy.gif

You need to see a medical professional.

Nah, I think he needs to be awarded a medal for that post.

1. Remove: Celebration penalties: Let whoever scores do their own thing and not have to worry about being penalized for it, who really cares honestly.

2. Change: I would like to see the rules go further with change-of-possession plays being blown dead: The initial change in this rule a few years ago was making down-by-contact plays reviewable, which was a step in the right direction. But Fartwaffles and I were discussing this a bit in the Bears/Jets Game Day thread. As disadvantageous as it would be to the offense, allow advancement of the ball if a review of a dead ball play results in a change of possession instead of just possession at the spot of the dead ball. (The Jets were pretty much screwed out of a TD against the Bears because the head ref blew the whistle and didn't let the play continue when David Harris clearly strip-sacked Culter and Demario Davis' returning the fumble to the endzone for the would-be go-ahead score and most likely would've won that game needing only a FG at the end which would've put them up 29-27) Maybe that's too drastic a change in the rule, but it doesn't hurt to just think about modifying that rule even further IMO. But I don't think it will ever change because of the offense being at such a disadvantage in this instance and I agreed with Fartwaffles that it encourages too much play after the whistle despite the defense wanting to carry out the play for a potential TD.

3. Add: Nothing: The NFL has way too many rules and I really can't think of anything at the moment that needs to be put in place.

I might be back in here later to add more, but here's what I've got right now:

Remove: celebration penalties, it's been said a few times so I'll join the chorus, let players do what they want, the only concern to me is delaying the game but now that they review every TD anyway that doesn't really matter

Change: defensive pass interference/defensive holding - this goes against my usual preference of giving refs as few judgement calls as possible, but I'd like to see this turned into two degrees, one of which is penalized by the shorter of spot of foul or 15 yards, the other penalized as the longer of spot of foul or 15 yards, nothing is more irritating to me than a minor DPI giving an offense 50 yards, this would allow for the severe punishment when a corner basically tackles the receiver to prevent the long bomb while allowing defenders to work the receiver a little bit in the gray area without risking handing the offense a huge chunk of yardage

Add: this may be more of a 'change' than 'add' but I'll follow along with the format - a fumble out of bounds goes to the other team, once someone has lost the ball the burden should be on that team to re-establish possession, the corollary to this one is that if the opposing team intentionally swats the ball out of bounds they do not get possession, can't make it too easy, also a fumble out of your own endzone is still a safety

• Upvote 1