BLUE

Update: Jets expected to release Percy Harvin by 3/19

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Seahawks have traded Percy Harvin to the Jets for a conditional pick.
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport adds that the compensation is expected to be a mid-round pick. The timing of the trade is surprising, as Harvin is currently dealing with a thigh injury and was listed as questionable this week. The moves leaves the Seahawks with just Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse as their top two receivers, while Jets GM John Idzik is using his Seattle ties in an attempt to upgrade Geno Smith's supporting cast. Harvin had just one game over 50 receiving yards this season and reportedly "wasn't viewed as a fit." With Harvin gone, rookie Paul Richardson is a candidate for an expanded role. Harvin is due a non-guaranteed $41.5 million over the next four seasons. Oct 17 - 5:31 PM
Edited by BLUE

Percy Harvin did absolutely nothing for the Seahawks outside the Superbowl; nothing truly impactful. The Seahawks didn't know how to use him and was primarily a decoy when he could have been an incredible weapon. Not sure how good his fit is with the Jets and Geno but going to be interesting to see what plays Marty Mornhinweg dials up.

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT.....

First game of the season I watched Russell Wilson run what looked like a read-option, pull the ball out and throw it over the top to wide open receiver. We saw Percy Harvin attacking the edge of the Packer's defense all game on sweeps and bubbles.

I looked at an offense that didn't look anything close to what I watched during the Superbowl that let Beast Mode run downhill and and some close formations that got receivers out attacking each level of the defense. What happen is the Seahawks brought in a brand new offense JUST BECAUSE OF HARVIN.

Seahawks went to a Spread-Veer offense with a very extensive Jet Sweep Series to feature Harvin as an edge threat as well as a decoy. The amount of misdirection and sleight of hand involved in this offense led me to believe the passing game (as far as passing concepts) were dumbed down and as a result Wilson hasn't been as effecient as he could be in his third year as the starter.

Now we can look at the loss to San Diego. We can look at the close game to Denver. The close game in Washington. We can most def look at the recent lost to Dallas and see that the offense was clearly not moving as well as last year. Fans thinking maybe they abandoned the run with Beast Mode? The truth is they used Beast Mode in a zone look more than a downhill power game. Beast Mode can run in both styles but beating a team down with your run game only happens when you line up and run between the tackles. Fans wondering if Dallas showed how BAD Wilson is? As I've said the offense in my opinion is different and the passing game and philosophy is not the same.

Too cute? Too flashy? Too finesse? Whatever you want to say it needed to change back to what got them to a championship. So what is the common factor? Percy Harvin....the coaches wanted to create a system on their biggest potential star and get him in the best position to dominate. But in the end that isn't Seattle's style.

You let go a big name for a mid-round pick and you gave up a first round pick for him....cut your losses? :shrug:

Well you have Carroll who is operating alot like Belichick who believes everyone is expendable and we use the whole roster.

Look for Seahawks to come out in a offense that looks more like what they ran last year and do away with all the read-options and jet series. I think this was a huge move that it took alot of courage to say they were wrong...adjust...and move on.

• Upvote 2

Guest Phailadelphia

butta55 is right on the money here, IMO. Harvin didn't fit into the Seahawks offense, and from early reports it doesn't sound like he wanted to be in Seattle anymore. They're going to take one hell of a cap hit next year for it though - $8mm.

What we have here is THE diva receiver of this generation. No way they'd have given up on him so quickly if he wasn't a huge headache.

More snaps for Lockette, now? I sure hope so. Kid's made some plays.

• Upvote 1

lolharvin. Hope he enjoys going from playing for the champs to the 1-6 Jets.

Hey BC was right about something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One year ago the Vikings Fans tried to warn us what we were buying with that trade. To quote one of my favorite South Park episodes "We didn't listen!"

Harvin is without a doubt a talented reciever. He also has health issues, and requires a certain offensive style to be used fully. We in Seattle laughed off the health issues, and we trusted Pete and Darrell to fit him in to or offense and make him a top weapon. Unfortunately the opposite has happened.

Harvin did not fit into our offense. So we have instead changed our offense to fit him. I noticed it awhile ago and hoped I was wrong. As Butta stated we shelved our hard-nosed power running play-option offense that made us a top threat and won us a superbowl so we could feature Harvin in a spread-veer offense with lots of sweeps and screens. Lynch was only getting a handful of touches, and Wilson was being made to play completely out of his style or comfort-zone. The result being us unable to sustain drives or control the clock. Two things that were our bread and butter the last couple years.

Harvin is not worth compromising the entire team. So as surprising as this trade was, I support it. Especially if it means we get back to what was making us great. We were warned. We laughed it off. We thought we knew better than everyone who tol us Harvin wasn't worth it. Now it's time for us to take the "we told you so's" like men.

Harvin would have been awesome in Philly. But for all that, we might as well kept Desean Jackson.

I had no idea Percy was this bad of a guy before today, but it makes me even a little more irritated that we traded a 1st, 3rd, and 7th rounder to get a guy with hip problems, concussion problems, emotional problems, and personal conduct baggage. I wouldn't want this guy near the team. That said, we were already a pretty complete team when we went and got him. They wanted to do everything they could to give Russell everything he needed to succeed, and at the time, this looked like one of the most ridiculous offenses in the league with three different rushing threats in the backfield all at once. I just wish they had seen the personality clashes with Wilson and Harvin coming. Bevel came from the same team in Minnesota that Harvin did for crying out loud.

It's a tough way to learn a lesson, but that said, we would have won the SB easily with or without Harvin last year thanks to the drafting skills of Schneider & Pete. Looking forward, I don't see this season missing a beat. We don't produce much differently with or without Harvin. Paul Richardson ran a 4.33 at the combine and is the next fastest guy on the team, and Riccardo Lockette has made big splashes both in the pre and regular season. These guys behind Kearse and Baldwin, Kevin Norwood coming back soon, yeah this offense is still capable of 30 ppg.

Detailed Seattle Times article: http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024808382_seahawks18xml.html

One source confirmed a report that Harvin had gotten into an altercation with former Seahawk Golden Tate before the Super Bowl that resulted in Tate getting a black eye.

A source also said Harvin had an altercation with Seattle receiver Doug Baldwin in the week leading up to the final exhibition game this August at Oakland that resulted in Baldwin getting a cut on his chin and each player being excused from practices that week. Harvin, who did not practice for two days before that game, did not make the trip to Oakland for what the team said at the time was “a personal matter.”

One final straw, a league source said, came in Sunday’s 30-23 loss to Dallas when Harvin apparently balked at going back into the game in the fourth quarter. Harvin played 26 of 48 official snaps but did not play 11 of the final 17. He finished with six touches for minus-1 yard.

Edited by BC
  • Downvote 1

lol gave up all that for a scrub WR and get almost nothing in return. Harvin is at best a flash in the pan gadget player.

I'm a big fan of Harvin. I don't know about these character issues, but if you can't find a way to use him in your offense, thats on you, not him.

• Upvote 2

I'm a big fan of Harvin. I don't know about these character issues, but if you can't find a way to use him in your offense, thats on you, not him.

I'm a fan of Harvin, too, but I do somewhat disagree with you. Finding ways to use him shouldn't be that hard, but when your team is built for a style that doesn't cater to his use, it becomes tough. I think Harvin would've destroyed in Pittsburgh, for example, as they're now more of a finesse offense with a lot of sweeps and quick passing.

• Upvote 2

So the guy's been traded twice in his prime. That's quite a reputation.

3 names:

Shariff Floyd (already a pretty damn good player)

Xavier Rhodes (playing like a great corner)

Cordarrelle Patterson (athletic freak, raw as wideout but dangerous in many, many other ways)

THHAAAANNNNNKKKKK YYYYOOOOOUUUUU, Seeeaaaattttllllllleeeeee!

• Upvote 1

3 names:

Shariff Floyd (already a pretty damn good player)

Xavier Rhodes (playing like a great corner)

Cordarrelle Patterson (athletic freak, raw as wideout but dangerous in many, many other ways)

THHAAAANNNNNKKKKK YYYYOOOOOUUUUU, Seeeaaaattttllllllleeeeee!

With that trade you got Floyd some 7 th rd that never lasted through camp and Mckinnon. Slow your roll bware.

Damn. I still don't understand how we got a 1st, 3rd, and 7th for Harvin. What was it that made him worth that much? Was it the career best 967 receiving yards he had in 2011, when the team was a dumpster fire during Ponder's rookie season? I never thought he was worth much more than a 3rd round pick simply because he was more flash than actual substance, I looked at him as more of a gimmick player. In essence, a rich man's Tavon Austin

I'm not about to complain about it though we got a 1st and more for him lol

• Upvote 1

Meh. All this means is dumbass Marty is going to pull some more wildcat stunts for two yard gains or some shit.

• Upvote 1