Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Bears Breakdown (Week 7)

Dolphins @ Bears:

Theme song of the week in Chicago has been "Crossroads" by Bone Thugs N Harmony.

Bears went up against a Miami Dolphins team fresh off a legit battle with our division rival Green Bay Packers that ended in a last play TD by the great A-Rod. Still up until this point a few days after the game it seems as if the Bears vastly underestimated a team that almost beat the team that just blew us out on our home field.

To make things worse the Bears were coming off a decisive road win against a high-powered home team in Atlanta. The defense played great despite not having a number of starters. The offense FINALLY looked like it can go down the field when it felt like it. For a short moment in the Windy City it seemed like our Chicago Bears had put it all together and we were ready to be the contender we were predicted to be. Not so much......

Key Points:

• Remember four weeks ago when the talk in Miami was about benching Ryan Tannenhill? The over-reaction in full swing? He comes out and destroys Oakland. They said that was the Raiders and then he balls against Green Bay and Chicago. I said he isn't Luck or RG3 but guess what his floor was alot lower let him grow.

• Jay Ratliff is a major force in the middle. I've complained on my breakdown about the rookies Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton for their lack of pass rush and hand technique. They were praised because they simply didn't get blow backwards. If you want to be a really good defense you need more than that. Ratliff with 3.5 sacks in one game is an example of that, but having him back improves the run defense.

• Jared Allen was flat out benched for a part of the 3rd and 4th Quarter. People have been dancing around it all season, but I've said flat out he just isn't what he used to be. He doesn't have to speed to impact plays on pass rush. On one of Ratliff's sacks it was a roll out to Allen's side and instead of disengaging the block and applying pressure he was blocked while Ratliff came allllll the way around from the other side and ran straight at Tannehill for the sack instead of riding the flow of the offensive line. Allen and the rest of the D-Line just don't have that killer instinct.

• Mel Tucker's scheme is terrible. I don't know how many times I've said it, but this is further evidence that we need a new DC. Zone-Read is really really really NOT hard to defend. STOP having the DE crash down on the run...we have all the help inside so have the DE slow-play the QB and if they bring a lead blocker the QB has to bounce outside and most likely gain less yards. We are having somone line up in a 3-tech and 0-tech on regular downs. Part of this two-gapping scheme he wants the defensive line to hold up the guards instead of penetrating. He wants the LBs to make the plays. We once again don't play man or press coverage having our CBs in a disadvantage.

• It's sad that I have to be so repetitive, but our LBs DON'T cover the middle of the field in zone. The LBs constantly are not getting enough depth in their drops and are in the wrong zone. Play-Action will continue to kill us on that.

• There is a long story to be written on the offense. Alot of people have been talking about defenses "catching up" with Trestman's system. Don't believe the hype. Bears are running a very different system from the one we ran last year as far as style, formations, and philosophy.

• Our full starting offensive line was together again for the first time all season and.....it didn't go well. Jordan Mills has been hitting a sophomore wall sorta speak. IMO he was average at best last year. Garza didn't do us any favors honestly. We weren't getting beat in the interior...but we had NO push in pass protection the defense lived on the LOS.

• Alot of talk about us running the ball only twice in the first half. I'm not shocked...and honestly if we were connecting in the passing game no one would care if we went full Denver-style and just pass. This has been the identity of our team in the Trestman era. We pass and run screens for our run game. With our full line back, I do believe we should have went between the tackles more. Again the absence of a true FB on our team has lead to some perimeter and off tackle runs that I don't believe work against good fronts. We need power formations and power runs.

• The ONE difference I've pointed out between our offense (more Cutler than anything) and other offenses is our ability to score points on long drives. Without great field position our offense has constantly stalled out, sputtered, or fails to filp field position. Tannehill more than once took his team on very long sustainable drives that put his team in position to score. It doesn't matter about the numbers and points, until you have a team that you've seen execute long drives consistently then you don't have an elite unit.

I made my peace with Mel Tucker early last season. I made my peace with Jay Cutler a few weeks ago. And after Sunday I made my peace with Marc Trestman. I want a new coaching staff. Trestman (from what I've heard and from what I've seen the last two years) is very much a coach who is Xs and Os smart and not very much able to lead and manage a team. I feel he is a great designer and architect....he isn't great at calling the plays he creates and he isn't great at game management. He isn't a head coach, he is an Offensive Coordinator much like Lovie Smith is a Defensive Coordinator and not a head coach.

The incident with players yelling in the locker room is very much over-blown and common in a football locker room from high school to the NFL. HOWEVER, I do feel the team was alot more emotional and ready to point fingers than they have been all year and the one thing that finally made me realize I'm done with Trestman is the way he handled the whole situation. He comes off as having NO control in that locker room.

Defense plays decent early on and offense doesn't produce makes the defensive players lose hope and start blaming....this continues....defensive players get angry and full out blame and offensive players lose hope and start blaming....this continues....all players are angry and full out blame the head coach.....someone gets fired.

Offense: 65

Defense: 70

Overall: 67

Edited by butta55