Sign in to follow this  
CampinWithaMissingPerson

Titans plan to start Zach Mettenberger against Texans

The Titans plan to start rookie quarterback Zach Mettenberger against the Texans on Sunday, according to sources familiar with the situation.

The move could also signal the beginning of the end for quarterback Jake Locker in Tennessee. The fourth-year pro has missed the last two games with a thumb injury.

On Monday, coach Ken Whisenhunt said the plan was for Locker to regain his place in the starting lineup when healthy. But with the Titans having lost five of their last six games and facing steep odds to make the playoffs, the coach apparently had a change of heart.

Whisenhunt could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Indications are Mettenberger was informed of the decision Tuesday night. He was not in the locker room after practice Wednesday, when Locker was off-limits to the media. Charlie Whitehurst, who has three starts this season, said he was not allowed to talk to reporters.

Mettenberger threw for 3,082 yards and 22 touchdowns at LSU last season before suffering a torn ACL. A sixth-round pick, he has played in just one game this season, the final minutes of a blowout loss against the Colts. He was 2-of-5 for 17 yards with an interception.

Mettenberger had an impressive preseason, however, throwing for 659 yards with two touchdowns, two interceptions and a 97.6 passer rating.

He told The Tennessean recently he was learning while waiting his turn behind Locker and Whitehurst.

"Anybody worth their salt wants to play, so that is what I am doing, I am pushing the two guys ahead of me and trying to get better," Mettenberger said. "It's about taking advantage of the opportunity I am given. That is what I am waiting on, an opportunity I guess. Eventually, whenever that is … you have to make the most of it."

Locker was limited but making progress in Wednesday's practice, Whisenhunt said.

When asked about the quarterback situation on Monday, Whisenhunt was adamant that he planned for Locker to return to the lineup when healthy.

"Nothing has changed from the quarterback perspective," the coach said Monday. "Jake wants to get back as quickly as he can."

As for whether it was time for Mettenberger to play, Whisenhunt told reporters: "That seems to be a question you guys are saying more than I am. I am focused on trying to improve each week, and trying to play better."

Locker, a first-round pick in 2011, has been unable to stay healthy. He's missed three starts this season and 17 of a potential 39 starts in his career. He's in the final year of his contract after the Titans declined to pick up a fifth-year option.

This season, Locker is 65-of-112 passing for 764 yards, with four touchdowns, four interceptions and a 75.9 rating.

Whitehurst has thrown for 764 yards, with five touchdowns, two interceptions and a 93.2 rating. His record is 1-2, including last Sunday's loss to the Redskins, a result that only intensified calls from fans for Mettenberger to get a chance.

On Monday, Whisenhunt praised Mettenberger for his work in the meeting rooms and on the practice field.

Now he'll find out a lot more about the rookie quarterback – in games.

"From my little time around Zach, I don't think there is much you can do to mess with his confidence," Whisenhunt said. "As far as putting him out there too early, or not putting him out there too early, there's all kinds of different schools of thought on that. I think he has to work hard and prepare the best he can because at some point he'll get his chance."

Reach Jim Wyatt at 615-259-8015 and on Twitter @jwyattsports

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/10/22/titans-zach-mettenberger/17754675/

:ooo:

I'm going to the Titans @ Jags game in December.

Mett vs Bae :devious:

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/525113899839143938

Interesting. You see teams give in and let the rookie QB loose when they are a high round pick. Mettenberger getting the shot is something seeing as Locker probably could still play and Whitehurst has always been a decent back up to me and showed real potential once upon a time in San Diego. If Whisenhunt is as good as they say we should see if Zach's mechanics have improved.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 48m 48 minutes ago

Can't see a scenario where the coaches go back to Locker unless Mettenberger struggles badly vs. #Texans.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 51m 51 minutes ago

One of the biggest reasons why Mettenberger is getting the green light: Understanding of the offense.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl · 55m 55 minutes ago

Mettenberger was told weeks ago to get ready to play. Time is now. Team is 2-5, Locker can't stay healthy.

:notbad:

The Titans only have to win 8 of their next 9 games to guarantee a playoff berth (note, not really, shit happens). Better play the best chance you have of making the dance. *chuckles*

I loved Mettenberger's arm from the little that I saw in college, he is a very talented thrower. His throwing motion was kind of elongated though. If his mechanics can or have improved and he gets the mental part down pact, he could be a real sight to watch. I've been waiting for him to get a real chance at starting.

Edited by Dutch

He's gonna throw that pigskin a quarter-mile.

• Upvote 2

Mettenberger? lol.

Biggest pussy I've ever seen in terms of pocket presence. Watt gon feast.

• Upvote 1

This thread is full of win.

going to Mettenberger needed to happen, I halfway expected them to wait until after the bye week, but odds are this season is done, we need to see if Mettenberger has enough potential or if we need to look at a QB early in the draft

He would have likely been a 3rd-4th round pick if not for the ACL tear in his senior year. I'm not going to pay any attention to the fact that he led the NFL in passing yards during the preseason because most of the time those numbers mean absolutely nothing, but I think he has some potential here

I'm not going to pay any attention to the fact that he led the NFL in passing yards during the preseason because most of the time those numbers mean absolutely nothing

considering the top three were Mettenberger, Garoppolo, and Nassib, yeah I'd say that's pretty meaningless

• Upvote 1

I wish the best of luck to him. I just hope he throws 3 picks against the Jags on the 18th of December. :yep:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2014/10/22/titans-zach-mettenberger/17754675/

:ooo:

I'm going to the Titans @ Jags game in December.

Mett vs Bae :devious:

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/525113899839143938

So you're excited for a game featuring two rookie QB's who simply aren't ready for prime time players, huh? You never cease to amaze, buddy lol. Maybe you just really like to watch defensive domination, because I predict there will picks galore in this one.

going to Mettenberger needed to happen, I halfway expected them to wait until after the bye week, but odds are this season is done, we need to see if Mettenberger has enough potential or if we need to look at a QB early in the draft

50246-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-toC

He would have likely been a 3rd-4th round pick if not for the ACL tear in his senior year. I'm not going to pay any attention to the fact that he led the NFL in passing yards during the preseason because most of the time those numbers mean absolutely nothing, but I think he has some potential here

A wise decision, Kemosabi. Joey Harrington is the name I always bring up when people start riding the preseason QB hype train. If preseason games counted, that dude would be a household name for good instead of evil.

Honestly, I tend to root for the kids in these situations. It's rare that I want to see someone fall flat on their face and bust out of the league, but realistically I just don't see what this kid brings to the table. Yes, he's got a big arm, but all that says to me is that if he works hard, prays every day, and eats his vitamins that his ceiling is around Jay Cutler status. His basement is firmly located around the dungeon that Brodie Croyle's ghost occupies, and his reality is probably somewhere in between the two.

Edited by B-isforBowe
  • Upvote 1