Sign in to follow this  
Mentch

2nd Best Team in the AFC?

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is the 2nd best team in the AFC next to Denver?

• New England
    • Baltimore
    • Indianapolis
    • San Diego

It's basically Denver vs everyone in the AFC, just like last season. But it's kind of a close race for who will be the 2nd best team in the AFC. Essentially, it's a 4 team race between New England, Baltimore, Indianapolis, and San Diego. All of those teams are 5-2 at the moment

Right now, I'll take Baltimore as my pick for 2nd best team in the AFC. I'll be real here: I was 100% wrong about the Ravens this offseason. I ultimately predicted them at 7-9 after deliberating about dropping them further, but their defense was never the issue with me. I knew their defense would still be as legitimate as it's proven to be, but I felt that their offense would struggle to put points on the board. I did not count on Steve Smith's resurgence and Justin Forsett not only becoming serviceable, but also breaking out. They're looking like the 2nd best team in the AFC next to the Broncos, and while part of that is due to the AFC being weaker than last season, it also has to do with the fact that the Ravens are playing like one of the best teams in the league right now

Only real issue is that they haven't played any true contenders, but I really like them to win this weekend at Cincinnati. They've got a tough stretch of schedule coming up soon (@Cincinnati, @Pittsburgh, @Saints, Chargers, @Dolphins in 5 of the next 6 weeks). We'll see if they can solidify themselves as a contender. I think 11-5 for this team is a very realistic possibility
Edited by Mentch

Ravens are a walking skeleton. That team is relying on Justin Forsett at RB. Flacco is a time-bomb. Steve Smith is roasting but how will he hold up down the stretch? Same with Daniels. That line is questionable. That defense is good but are they top 5? I see them as a playoff team, but they have a shot at going 1-4 or 2-3 in these next 5 weeks.

Saying Denver is easily #1 is very debatable. Chargers are looking legit. Colts look insane right now too. I think it goes Colts, Chargers, Broncos right now for top 3.

Colts stomped out Cincy and played Denver competitively. They are legit.

Chargers beat Seahawks. Even weak right now, Seahawks are still pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Chargers also just got beat in their own house by the Chiefs. Don't think they are #1 atm.

Chargers also just got beat in their own house by the Chiefs. Don't think they are #1 atm.

Arrowhead isn't exactly an easy place to get a win and it's not like KC isn't a divisional team vying for a playoff spot. I think Denver has a better roster, but Phillip Rivers is playing the best football in his entire life. Then again I'm severely bias against Peyton Manning and anything he does. lol

I wanted to come in here and say inb4someonesaysDenver, but it looks like that's already been covered.

• Upvote 2

Ravens defense is suffocating. Even when it looks like they are going to have a down year...that defense somehow finds a way to get it done. It's impressive.

Offense is clicking, and Steve Smith is doing his thing. So right now, I have to go with Baltimore, closely followed by SD.

Rivers is MVP as it stands btw.

• Upvote 1

Arrowhead isn't exactly an easy place to get a win and it's not like KC isn't a divisional team vying for a playoff spot. I think Denver has a better roster, but Phillip Rivers is playing the best football in his entire life. Then again I'm severely bias against Peyton Manning and anything he does. lol

It was in SD, not KC.

• Upvote 1

I'll say this, the AFC is a lot stronger than it was last year. It won't be easy at all for Denver to make it back to the Super Bowl

As of right now it is :

Baltimore

Indianapolis

Chargers

New England

Pittsburgh

would be my next 5 after Denver.

Arrowhead isn't an easy place to play, to be sure, but like Than already said the game was in SD. Still, NE tried to go into Arrowhead in prime time and got Brady benched. Fucking benched! My question is how does KC not get any consideration? They decimated NE, and they just beat the Chargers in a game that they really should have run away with if not for some silly drops. They went out to SF and took the 49ers to the final gun. They beat two of the teams in this poll and have the same amount of losses as the "Super" Chargers.

I'm not saying that they're head and shoulders above anyone, but I DO think that it's time people stop using the argument, "Yeah, but they got beat by the Chiefs," and start thinking about going with, "The Chiefs looked really good again against a really good team." Just saying.

Arrowhead isn't an easy place to play, to be sure, but like Than already said the game was in SD. Still, NE tried to go into Arrowhead in prime time and got Brady benched. Fucking benched! My question is how does KC not get any consideration? They decimated NE, and they just beat the Chargers in a game that they really should have run away with if not for some silly drops. They went out to SF and took the 49ers to the final gun. They beat two of the teams in this poll and have the same amount of losses as the "Super" Chargers.

I'm not saying that they're head and shoulders above anyone, but I DO think that it's time people stop using the argument, "Yeah, but they got beat by the Chiefs," and start thinking about going with, "The Chiefs looked really good again against a really good team." Just saying.

I was going to put them up over the Steelers. The problem is I like Ben more. They both have great RB's, Steelers have better weapons, KC has the better defense. I just like Ben more. They are number 6 followed by them and the Browns at the moment. Bengals and Texans are behind them and they are fighting for 8th and 9th.

Browns over Bengals, Ngata? You're joking.

Browns over Bengals, Ngata? You're joking.

Nope actually I am not. Just like you saying the Ravens are a walking skeleton even though we are year in and year out a consistent football team minus one blip on the radar, I believe in what the past has shown us.... Dalton will lose big games, AJ is hurt and your run defense is atrocious. I think Crowell and West would make you guys look silly and sans a few big plays to green, I dont see you mustering a lot of offense.

I am all for you telling me your homeristic view of why the Bengals are world beaters still.

Nope actually I am not. Just like you saying the Ravens are a walking skeleton even though we are year in and year out a consistent football team minus one blip on the radar, I believe in what the past has shown us.... Dalton will lose big games, AJ is hurt and your run defense is atrocious. I think Crowell and West would make you guys look silly and sans a few big plays to green, I dont see you mustering a lot of offense.

I am all for you telling me your homeristic view of why the Bengals are world beaters still.

Bengals are by no means world beaters. We're fighting for #6 in conference. Ravens are a walking skeleton. If you think a tandem of Forsett-Pierce with Flacco at QB is better than Dalton-Gio-Hill you're laughable. Even with Forsett having a career resurrection, that offense is gonna run into a wrecking ball of teams in these upcoming weeks. The defense is strong right now but how will those vets hold up down the stretch?

Are the Bengals "better" than Baltimore right now? Probably not. Will they be once Baltimore gets cut down to size vs. good teams? Yes.

Bengals are by no means world beaters. We're fighting for #6 in conference. Ravens are a walking skeleton. If you think a tandem of Forsett-Pierce with Flacco at QB is better than Dalton-Gio-Hill you're laughable. Even with Forsett having a career resurrection, that offense is gonna run into a wrecking ball of teams in these upcoming weeks. The defense is strong right now but how will those vets hold up down the stretch?

Are the Bengals "better" than Baltimore right now? Probably not. Will they be once Baltimore gets cut down to size vs. good teams? Yes.

Ha and you are just assuming we lose all of those lol. Lets face it you guys suck right now, the steelers are on the up swing but not incredible, the Saints defense is bad, the Chargers are good so we will see. If can win every single one of them so lets way we come out of that smelling like roses ?

Yes Flacco is better than Dalton, and lets look at that Forsett guy having the highest YPC in the league od all starting RB's, so yeah right now our run game is better.

And verterans on defense. You realize that like 7 of those defenders are under 26 ? We will not tire. We have a strong front 7 rotation with Jernigan coming back.

We are the better football team than anybody on our upcoming schedule minus possibly the Chargers. I know you will refuse to see it because since you have been here you have slammed the Ravens every change you got, which ya know is whatever. Just dont think that I have to think the same thing or cant think you're an idiot for your inane and incoherent ramblings that have no basis in fact.

There is not a single statistic to prove your argument, just a whole lot of "if's", and if "if's" were a fifth we would all be drunk.

The Indianapolis Colts.

Yes, it could be the fact they're my favourite team that's making this such an easy decision, but hear me out...

In his past five games, Luck is 5-0 with a 67 percent completion rate, 357.8 passing yards per game, a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 14:4 and a passer rating of 106.5. He's clicking. The Colts offence is 2nd in the league in points (30.9 per game, second to only Denver), 1st in yards (452.9/game). In comparison, Denver's offence last year averaged 457.3), and just 12th in rushing yards (123.3/game), with Trent Richardson, and Ahmad Bradshaw at running back.

Yeah, that all sounds great, but their defence is awful. It always has been, even when Peyton was the guy.

Wrong.

The defence has allowed the third least yards per game so far (311.1), has given up the second least 1st downs (17.6/game, second to Dallas, who is at 17.4), and has allowed the lowest 3rd down conversation percentage (26%).

The pass rush is hurting without Robert Mathis though!

Wrong.

The Colts are 4th in the league in sacks. And they're not living and dying on turnovers, either. They've forced 10 fumbles (T-7th), recovering 6 (T-5th), and intercepted 6 passes (T-15th), returning one for a touchdown.

They were outplayed in Week 1, in Denver, and they lost by a touchdown. If they converted on the fourth-and-one on the goal-line, and didn't have a punt-return touchdown called back due to a penalty, that's a win. But, you can't go back, you can only move forward. And the Colts have done just that. After getting shafted on the following Monday night against Philadelphia, the Colts have gone 5-0, and improved immensely, looking like one of the best teams in the league.

• Upvote 2

I was going to put them up over the Steelers. The problem is I like Ben more. They both have great RB's, Steelers have better weapons, KC has the better defense. I just like Ben more. They are number 6 followed by them and the Browns at the moment. Bengals and Texans are behind them and they are fighting for 8th and 9th.

See, that's what I dig about you dude. Even if I don't agree with you, it's hard to fault your logic. I think KC is definitely a top 5 team in the conference, but I get why you don't.

That being said, the Browns?!? That's a pill that I just can't swallow. They are much more impressive thus far than I thought that they would be, but that being said, I thought that they were complete dog shit, so the bar to impress was set very low. I still feel that Hoyer has no business being viewed as "the answer" at QB.

He's serviceable at times, but he needs flawless play from his receiving core or his garbage. He's capable of making plays, sure, but he's consistently inefficient. That's the mark of a Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton type of dude. I have zero faith in the dude. He just doesn't have the ability to overcome mistakes or setbacks.

As for the rest of the team, there's just not a lot of talent there, and as far as depth goes it's worse than last season's Chiefs. Living in Browns country, I hear all the Nazi-like propaganda. Watching RawBrotels throw 97 picks last week on a weak Jags team and still get the W pretty much sums this team up though. They're going to overachieve, but not to the point of being a threat just yet. I'm really impressed with the coaching staff though. I thought they were a stop-gap band of misfits, but they seem to really have their shit together. Kudos to them.

I view the Colts & Chargers as both better teams than the Chiefs. Ravens, as well at the moment. I think the the Chiefs are at least on par with the Patriots though, arguably better. So top 5? Maybe. The Bengals and Steelers are in the mix as well.

Ravens are a walking skeleton. That team is relying on Justin Forsett at RB. Flacco is a time-bomb. Steve Smith is roasting but how will he hold up down the stretch? Same with Daniels. That line is questionable. That defense is good but are they top 5? I see them as a playoff team, but they have a shot at going 1-4 or 2-3 in these next 5 weeks.

Saying Denver is easily #1 is very debatable. Chargers are looking legit. Colts look insane right now too. I think it goes Colts, Chargers, Broncos right now for top 3.

Colts stomped out Cincy and played Denver competitively. They are legit.

Chargers beat Seahawks. Even weak right now, Seahawks are still pretty good.

Walking skeleton..seriously? This coming from a Bengals fan of a team that looks like a MASH UNIT, really? Sorry my man but your QB is Andy Dalton and your Coach is Marvin Lewis which pretty much tells me everything as far as how far your Bengals will go, EVERYTHING!

Walking skeleton..seriously? This coming from a Bengals fan of a team that looks like a MASH UNIT, really? Sorry my man but your QB is Andy Dalton and your Coach is Marvin Lewis which pretty much tells me everything as far as how far your Bengals will go, EVERYTHING!

Its not like he said the Bengals should be in this conversation...

• Upvote 2

Cincy is hanging by a thread at #6 or so in conference. Already stated Baltimore is better right now.

I can guarantee that the Ravens Defense won't give up 40+ points to a mediocre Patriots offense.

When the Bengals D is on..it's on. I understand that. But when they are off...they are pretty terrible. Ravens defense is consistent in the bend..but not break (giving up numerous TD's) mindset and philosophy.

You can talk about tandems and trios all you want, but at the end of the day...it's a 53 man roster that makes the team.

Ravens don't rely on one player for offense...which is kinda what the Bengals are doing now with Gio, and it's not working out..especially with Green out of the picture.

Flacco is no world beater, but he knows how to spread the ball around and utilize the offensive talent around him without eyeing one receiver.

That. You must respect. A dynamic...never know who's going to get the ball next offense..is better than any trio. Because if you can take one person out of the game and shut down an offense...teams are just gonna hone in on it and make a team suffer.

• Upvote 1

I think we have a case when we're relatively healthy, but we're wrecked right now so now a chance.

I'll take the Ravens. Very well balanced/diversified. The Colts are in play as well.