Cherry

Cam Newton vs. Colin Kaepernick?

Kaepernick vs. Newton  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Colin Kaepernick
    • Cam Newton

A friend of mine believes Kaepernick is better than Cam because is more "athletic" and has been more successful from a team perspective. I believe Cam because he has done good with less talent than Kaep, has better size and physicality, and is a much better passer than Kaepernick. What do you guys think?

Cam. Switch weapons and Kaepernick would look like the biggest loser at QB, while Cam would look a lot better then he does now.

Easily Cam Newton. Cam has been criticized heavily here on TGP his entire, but since he's been in town he's produced huge numbers and he's taken the Panthers from being bad team to a division winner and it's clear he's worked his ass off to improve his game. He's a difference maker. Kaepernick is still too inconsistent and he's frankly not on Newton's level as a passer imo.

• Upvote 1

Newton no question. I'm not sold on Kaep being that good anyways

Colin Kaepernick isn't even a good quarterback, let alone a better player than Cam Newton. Can we wait til he at least becomes the former before we consider this question?

Don't wait too long. Colin Kaepernick won't become a good quarterback.

• Upvote 2

I was texting my friend about this the other day. He says that almost everybody believes that Kaepernick "is a top 10 quarterback". I have no clue who the hell he's talking to, but he seems to give Kaepernick credit for the 49ers winning so many games the last 2 seasons. He doesn't seem to understand that the team wins with him, not because of him

I was texting my friend about this the other day. He says that almost everybody believes that Kaepernick "is a top 10 quarterback". I have no clue who the hell he's talking to, but he seems to give Kaepernick credit for the 49ers winning so many games the last 2 seasons. He doesn't seem to understand that the team wins with him, not because of him

Your friend watches too much ESPN. Every goddamn analyst on that network seems to think Colin Kaerpernick is the second coming.

• Upvote 2

Your friend watches too much ESPN. Every goddamn analyst on that network seems to think Colin Kaerpernick is the second coming.

I will be real, there are some plays where I watch Kaepernick and he wows me. The problem is, those plays are a flash in the pan. Last time I was truly impressed with him was Week 1

I will be real, there are some plays where I watch Kaepernick and he wows me. The problem is, those plays are a flash in the pan. Last time I was truly impressed with him was Week 1

Kap is a hit and miss type player. However, when he does hit, it is usually a dynamic play. However, Kap is too inconsistent and still has a lot of developing to do. He is miles behind Cam in his development process. His field vision isn't that good and he doesn't do well with his progression reads. Cam however is literally carrying that Panthers team on his back. He basically IS that offense. He's a QB and RB all in one; literally. I think he has led his team in rushing every year so far. He has no where near the weapons that Kap has on offense and Cam gets it done.

Like it's been said, let Cam have the 49ers weapons and they are a championship team no doubt. Considering how Cam connects with Greg Olsen, Vernon Davis would actually have the career year that he's capable of and giving Cam a running game which he's never had the privilege of would be unfair to the league. Cam no question.

Edited by Dutch
  • Upvote 1

Except the 49er's were a top 3 team in the league with Alex Smith at QB lol

I feel like I have been trolled....The correct answer is Cam....right???

That was my reaction too. I was like...uhhhh lol

Im going to go with Kaepernick. If you go by stats alone Collin has better stats this year then Newton. They are close but they are better. Going by last years stats Collin statistically had a better season as well. The biggest problems with Kaepernick is his consistency. He will play some games that will leave you in awe. Then he plays some games and your asking yourself "how is he even a NFL QB". However going from last year he would have flat out bad games. This year im noticing that he is having bad drives. Can not really point to a game where he played horribly all four Quarters.

I do not buy the "weapons" argument either. Cam last year had Steve Smith Sr, Brandon Lafell and Greg Olsen. Those are pretty good players. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of date on Newton. I seen he play the 49ers twice and Seahawks twice. Not a very good sample size to cast a fair judgment. But what I saw from him in the playoffs last year in the 4th quarter would make me take Kap. Newton was gassed at the end of that game.

Cam Newton has nothing to work with, at least in comparison with Colin Kaepernick (and I'm sure in comparison with most QB's once you crunch the numbers). His offensive coordinator is bad beyond words, his running game is non-existent, and his offensive line is reminiscent of a New York turnstile. I can understand the argument for Kaep (certainly as I actually voted for him, suck it haters) but going off of stats alone is really selling Newton short, as he quite literally carries his offense.

• Upvote 2

I don't have a lot to go off of besides what I have seen of Cam. What I have seen was not impressive. I know stats do not tell the whole story but they are a good synopsis of the story. Kaepernick has proved that he could carry the team. Games that come to mind are Green bay Week 1, Atlanta in the playoffs, Green Bay in the first play off game as well. If Carolina has a bad OC then you are going to be looking at hypothetical situations on whom is better. I.E if Cam had Kaps OC and weapons and vise versa. The other thing I see out of Kaepernick is progression as well. He is showing he is getting better. He is getting to his second and third reads.

I wish I would of seen this post yesterday. I would payed closer attention to Cam yesterday.

Cam had a terrible game yesterday, but to say that Olsen, Smitty and LaFail are all "good weapons" when you consider what Kaep has- not to mention the fact that the Niners O-line is lightyears better than Carolina's- is frankly laughable.

Brandon LaFell accounted for FOUR of Cam's picks last year, because he tipped the ball into the defenders hands. If you were watching the playoff game last year, (not sure if you were watching the same game since you think Newton was gassed at the end of it, which is completely untrue), the pick by Willis where he mugs Greg Olsen was tipped by LaFell who was running the wrong route and should not have been anywhere near the ball.

I do not miss Brandon LaFell. Kudos to him, or more likely the Pats OC, for being able to turn him into a decent player, (at least stats wise, I haven't watched many Pats games), but he was not a good player in Carolina, and likely would never have become one, due to the shitty ass OC we have here.

Our O-line against the Hawks yesterday had four, count them four, undrafted free agents. One of whom was an undrafted defensive tackle when we took him.

Cam is leagues ahead of Kaep in basically everything. Kaep is faster on his feet in a straightaway, I'll give him that. There is really no argument otherwise that doesn't revolve around wins or stats, neither of which are fair to Cam given the lopsided imbalance in the two teams offenses.

Edited by Thanatos19

So basically what Im hearing is that Cam Newton is better because... Stats show that statistically that Kaepernick has been better in multiple aspects of the game. Steve Smith is an excellent WR. So to make the argument that he doesn't have a legitimate weapons is quit comical. Greg Olsen is a very good TE. LaFell last year was a good number 2 WR. Stats show that. The offensive line argument is weak because the 49ers offensive line was ranked 11th according to NFL.com and the panthers were ranked 17th. Also anybody who follows the 49ers know that their line is very good at run blocking; but hasn't been very good at pass protection. So does anybody have any stats or evidence that Newton is "light years" ahead of Kaepernick? Lets also not forget that the Panthers had a better defense then the 49ers last year as well. Our special teams return unit was not very good last year either.

Cam is a much better passer than Kaepernick and probably a better runner too.