Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Bucs trade Mark Barron to Rams, Jon Casillas to Pats

Per Rotoworld.com:

Rams acquired S Mark Barron from the Bucs in exchange for a fourth- and sixth-round pick.
The No. 7 overall pick of the 2012 draft, Barron has yet to be an impact NFLer, and had been struggling through his least-effective season yet for Lovie Smith's soft defense. He'll slide in as an immediate starter for the Rams, who have perhaps the league's worst safety corps. Barron was dubbed a playmaker coming out of Alabama, but has created just four turnovers across 37 NFL games. Perhaps he'll start cutting loose for aggressive defensive minds Jeff Fisher and Gregg Williams. Barron is signed through 2015, but the Rams can exercise a 2016 team option. Considering Barron's draft pedigree, the Rams didn't surrender much in terms of compensation. Barron turned 25 on Monday. Oct 28 - 4:03 PM

Man he was supposed to be a stud. What happened?

I never understood the hype. Was pretty poor in coverage at Alabama.

• Upvote 2

Patriots acquired OLB Jonathan Casillas from the Bucs in exchange for a fifth-round pick.

The Pats are also getting a sixth-rounder. Casillas technically started the first three games of the season, but managed just 109 snaps, and hadn't played a down since for one of the worst teams in the league. A veteran with 55 career appearances to his name, Casillas adds depth to the Pats' wounded linebacker corps, but should be limited to special teams and sub-package duties.
Edited by BLUE

Burn it to the ground!

Barron was an incredibly mediocre player his entire career in Tampa. Like Kemp said, he was not good in coverage at all and wasn't that great of a tackler. He showed some flashes here and there, but in today's NFL, I don't think he's gonna turn out to be much. It sucks getting so little after just taking him 7th overall a few years back, but I can't really complain since I wouldn't expect anymore than we got. Really just shows how pathetic this franchise is/has been lately.

Surprised we got anything for Casillas. He couldn't even beat out a 30 year old who just started his 1st NFL game this year.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

He's still got potential to be great. I haven't watched the Bucs play all that much, but I'm pretty sure they've been using him in cover 2. Which is a big no.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's still got potential to be great. I haven't watched the Bucs play all that much, but I'm pretty sure they've been using him in cover 2. Which is a big no.

It's pretty overstated how much we're using Tampa-2 this season. Even if you scratch the last 2 years and only consider his play this season, he isn't in the Tampa-2 the vast majority of snaps, and he still eats dick.

I didn't like the draft pick over Kuechly when we made it. I still hoped he would work out but I'm not surprised or disappointed to see him go.

We got a 4th and 6th rounder who is probably worse than Keith Tandy at safety. Glad he is gone. As for Casillas, basically traded up a few spots with that trade.

Yeah, the Bucs don't have Tampa 2 personnel in the secondary. Not sure why Lovie and Leslie are so hard-headed about employing it instead of figuring out the best style of defense for what's available to them.

Schiano never ran a lick of cover 2 and Barron still didn't do much of anything under him either. He's just mediocre at best. Not very good in coverage, but he can help in run support and be solid most of the time there. Problem is, that describes Dashon Goldson as well and that didn't work well at all.

Yeah, the Bucs don't have Tampa 2 personnel in the secondary. Not sure why Lovie and Leslie are so hard-headed about employing it instead of figuring out the best style of defense for what's available to them.

Not sure why anyone would implement a scheme like it in today's NFL...

Anyway, I could be totally delusional. But I wouldn't give up on Barron yet. Coverage was never his strength, but he's got potential.

Alabama and LSU defenders have been overdrafted lately because they looked good in great systems/teams.

Except Marcell Dareus who is a beast and I love him and I don't care that this is irrelevant.

Still don't get why St. Louis made this trade though.

Rodney McLeod and TJ McDonald.