Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

2014 Predict the fired head coaches

So who do y'all see getting the axe come Black Monday? Here's who I see as the top candidates...

:Bills:Doug Marrone

-New owners generally want to hand pick their head coach.

:Jets:Rex Ryan

-Woeful loss after woeful loss. Rex has lost his fire and even sounds like a lame duck coach.

:Raiders:Tony Sparano (interim)

-Has coached admirably since assuming the position, but Oakland will likely look elsewhere for the future.

:Redskins:Jay Gruden

-Not his fault that he inherited a bad team, but that on top of the RG3 drama doesn't look good. Dan Snyder has also shown before.that he doesn't have patience.

:Giants:Tom Coughlin

-More than likely would retire before getting the axe. This team is severely underachieving, and it just feels like it's time for a change.

:49ers:Jim Harbaugh

-GM hates him, lost the team, etc.

:Bears:Marc Trestman

-Anemic offense from the offensive "guru" doesn't bode well for Trestman. Every bad Cutler performance gets him closer and closer to being fired.

:Falcons:Mike Smith

-Two straight dismal seasons of a team that was not too long ago considered legit Super Bowl contenders.

Anybody I missed? Or have anything to add from the ones posted above? What say you TGP?

Edited by FartWaffles

I agree on the points of Ryan, Coughlin, Harbaugh, Trestman, and Smith. I actually like Doug Maronne, he's been a decent coach for them I think, and he's assembled a lot of talent there, especially on defense. Really, they're a legitimate contender with a consistent quarterback. I feel similarly about Tony Sparano. The team has really responded to him since he took over, and the Raiders have appointed interims before.

I'm on the fence with Jay Gruden. He's built nothing since he's been there this year, and the team is clearly worse since he took over, but I think Snyder gives him the chance to trade RG3 and work with his own quarterback, whoever that may be. Shanny got 3 years, so it's not unlikely that Gruden will get at least one more.

Trestman is another guy I'm kind of on the fence about. You can tell that the offense has elite potential, but it hinges on the most up and down quarterback in history, and Trestman seems unwilling to consider a change, though his options have been limited. There's no excuse for the pathetic defense they put on the field. You can put some of the blame on Mel Tucker, but the talent very clearly isn't there. I think he may get another year.

It's time for Rex Ryan to go. I think he's a great coaching mind, but he sailed his ship when he threw his chips in with Geno. At some point you have to shake the barrel and turnover staff, and the Jets are definitely at that point. Idzik needs to go too, and if either of those guys are still there next year, Woody Johnson is a bigger moron than he's proven to be thus far. Coughlin is in a similar boat, another one-of-a-kind coaching mind who's just at the end of the rope. I see him retiring too, even if it's one of those situations where they more or less force him too. I can't see him coaching anywhere else.

If I were the Falcons, Mike Smith would be on the first bus out of town. However, it's completely possible the Falcons get the 4 seed with 6 or 7 wins, so who knows. That teams is chock-full of offensive talent and underachieving like crazy.

Ron Rivera's seat has to be feeling a little warm at this point, too. Both sides of the ball look completely different this year from last. You can put some of it on the injuries, but a good bit of it has to be on him. Look at the Cardinals for instance, they've lost a ton of players this year and are still playing stout defense and winning games.

Ken Whisenhunt and Lovie Smith will surely not get the boot this year, but both have done nothing to improve either of their teams this year. Both also have had their hands tied for the most part with their shitbird QBs though.

While we're on the topic of coaches and speaking of constantly underachieving teams, I realize that the Broncos are 10-3 and pretty much guaranteed the 2nd seed, but I really wish we would part ways with John Fox, like, two years ago. His style and philosophy are completely contradictory to what the team is capable of and it shows on a regular basis. I would kill for a coach like Bruce Arians, or Mike McCarthy, or a fast paced offensive guru like Chip Kelly or Sean Payton. It's a damn shame that the Manning era of the Broncos is tied to Foxball. The Jack Del Rio prevent-special that lets every team we play back in the game doesn't help anything either. We have one of the best secondaries in football, but when we get any kind of a lead we go into zone and our corners play 10 yards off the ball. Not to mention how often DWare and Von Miller are sent back into coverage. /rantover

• Upvote 1

Don't be surprised if Whisenhunt is fired. There are reports that he's completely lost the team.

Also not sure why Buffalo, even with new owners, would fire Marrone. He's got them respectable for the first time in like a decade.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Mike Pettine because Browns gonna Brown.

Seriously though, I'd say Rex Ryan is the first to go. I'm not sure Arthur Blank has the balls to fire Mike Smith,

Ron Rivera should definitely be fired. He doesn't have the balls to coach in this league. So should Mike Shula.

However, Rivera won't be fired. The Panthers have never fired a coach mid-contract in their history, and its not happening now. JR is way too slow as a owner.

Am I the only one that thinks Marvin Lewis should be on the hotseat? If they make the playoffs and go one and done once again, he needs to be shown the door after being mediocre for the past decade.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010
  • Upvote 2

Am I the only one that thinks Marvin Lewis should be on the hotseat? If they make the playoffs and go one and done once again, he needs to be shown the door after being mediocre for the past decade.

I agree. It has to be so hard to fire a coach who's consistently winning the division and getting you in the playoffs though.

I agree. It has to be so hard to fire a coach who's consistently winning the division and getting you in the playoffs though.

Plus Mike Brown is a cheap ass, and he likely would never fire a coach without it being at the end of their contract.

Yeah, I remember reading a lot late in Fisher's tenure about how rare it is for a coach to win his first Super Bowl so late in his tenure, and Lewis is in his twelfth season without even a playoff win

Rex Ryan would be a great fit on Atlanta once Mike Smith gets shit canned. Rex will make that defense a lot better, and the offense will be fine with Matt Ryan and Julio.

Coughlin is still a really outstanding coach, he's earned the right to leave when he wants. Besides, Victor Cruz, Rashad Jennings, Amukamara and Walter Thurmond all getting hurt explains why they had a down year. They weren't superbowl contenders anyway. Give him a year or two to right the ship and he definetely will.

Plus Mike Brown is a cheap ass, and he likely would never fire a coach without it being at the end of their contract.

Marvin Lewis is on a 1 year deal IRCC. So Lewis could be gone without being technically "fired". Definitely has been mediocre there, but mediocre is better than what the Bungles use to be.

Marrone is a good coach in theory.

In practice, you remember that he's an offensive guy and our offense sucks. He also makes terrible in-game decisions. He should be fired.

If Titans fire Whiz, I'll take him as OC and fire Fisch. :yep:

Wait a second I just remembered Matt Leinart said Kurt Warner did everything for Whiz. DO NOT WANT DO NOT WANT.

Rex Ryan is a lock to be fired. I think he's a great coach, but that ship has been sinking in New York and there will be change. Harbaugh is about a lock to not return to San Francisco, but it may not necessarily happen as a firing though. I think Jay Gruden will be fired because Dan Synder is a moron and will side with RG3 the coach killer and foolishly believe someone worth a damn will want to actually go there and commit career suicide.

Everyone else I'm not 100% convinced on, though there will obviously be more across the league. I just hope Lovie Smith isn't one of them, not because I think he did a good job this year (he didn't) but because I don't believe blowing it up and hiring another new coach is actually going to fix anything. The defense at least looks to be improving....

• Upvote 1

Okay, let's take a look and try to reassess right now...

For sure goners:

• Rex Ryan
  • Jim Harbaugh
  • Tony Sparano (interim)

Quite possibly:

• Doug Marrone
  • Joe Philbin
  • Marc Trestman
  • Mike Smith
  • Jay Gruden

Maybe there's a chance?

• Marvin Lewis
  • Tom Coughlin
  • Ken Wisenhunt
  • Ron Rivera

Altogether that's about a third of the league's coaches. Tough business. :coffee:

Edited by SteVo

I want to see Oakland give Sparano a full year. When they're clicking, that team does some good stuff. It's clear the team has responded to him somewhat at least.

NJ.com reports coach Rex Ryan has already cleaned out his desk in advance of the Jets' season finale against the Dolphins.

Always expected to get the axe following another disappointing season, Ryan now appears resigned to his fate. Ryan's will not be the only head that rolls on Monday, however, as special consultant Charley Casserly has reportedly begun contacting potential replacements for GM John Idzik was well.

I know many have already speculated about this at TGP, but Rex to Atlanta seems like a fantastic move if Mike Smith gets the axe.

In fact, since it's so close to Black Monday, I'll throw out my personal predictions:

Rex Ryan (freebie)

Tony Sparano (if interims count)

Jim Harbaugh

Marc Trestman

Mike Smith if Atlanta loses Sunday

Any coach who loses to Oakland should be fired.

That's a warning, Fox.

Mike Smith probably goes unless we win a playoff game....

I'm assuming this doesn't happen...so I'm down for Rex. People say he sucks with offense...but look at what the Jets have given him. I mean this is the same guy that made the AFCCG with Mark Sanchez and LT.

Just imagine him with Matt Ryan and Julio...we need so much help defensively it's not even funny.

A coaching staff that has Rex Ryan, Mike Tice, Terry Robiskie, and Bryan Cox is going to demand excellence and effort. Something this organization needs because this team lacks heart and idk what it is. Hopefully that staff would bring a nice change that is much need in Atlanta.