Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Jake Locker's future

so the Titans just put Jake Locker on IR, ending his season, which prompts me to consider what happens with him now? he's a free agent and there's basically zero chance he comes back to Nashville, too much fatigue in the team and fan base about his injuries for him to get a new contract, but he's shown enough talent to get a look somewhere but his injuries are a huge red flag, everyone knows of his injury history, at least in the abstract, but as a reminder here's a handy list compiled by Paul Kuharsky over at ESPN:

• Left shoulder, at Houston, Sept. 30, 2012: Missed five games.
  • Right knee and hip, against Jets, Sept. 29, 2013: Missed two games.
  • Right foot, against Jacksonville, Nov. 10, 2013: Missed seven games, end of season.
  • Right thumb, against Cleveland, Oct. 5, 2014: Missed one game.
  • Right wrist, at Cincinnati, Sept. 21, 2014: Missed two games.
  • Left shoulder, against Jets, Dec. 14, 2014: Missed two games, end of season.

he's only played more than four consecutive games once in four seasons

so what do you think? if you're a GM of a QB needy team do you bring him in to compete for a starting spot? if you're with a team like Denver or New England with a solid but aging starter do you bring him in as an understudy? if you're with a team like Chicago or Dallas with an established face of the franchise do you look at him for insurance? I've got my opinions, but I'm interested to hear what others think

if you're a GM of a QB needy team do you bring him in to compete for a starting spot?

No.

if you're with a team like Denver or New England with a solid but aging starter do you bring him in as an understudy?

Sure.

if you're with a team like Chicago or Dallas with an established face of the franchise do you look at him for insurance?

Sure.

Honestly I think what would be best for Locker is to go back home to Washington. Backup Russell Wilson and learn behind a mobile quarterback that also has refined passing tools. No telling if the Seahawks would ever want him, but I think that's a best-case scenario for him.

I don't think we want to transition from Peytard to Locker. He's a guy you look at as a backup, but you never want him to be the guy going into a training camp battle after the franchise QB retires. He's the guy you sign when you need a QB but there aren't 32 starters in the league worth a damn. He either goes to a place like Cleveland or anywhere in New Jersey to compete for a job, or you bring him in as a veteran backup to a younger guy. Indianapolis, Seattle, Miami or Atlanta, somewhere like that.

Have the Broncos given up on grooming Osweiler, or something?

Also, what future are we talking about, here? Is there one?

I doubt we've given up on Osweiler unless Peyton decides to never retire or something. Knowing how Favre like he is already, it wouldn't surprise me to see him desperately try to hang on to a team that doesn't want him anymore.

Also, what future are we talking about, here? Is there one?

that's kinda the question, and honestly I lean toward no, to me the most important thing in a backup is reliability, you want somebody who at the very least will be a warm body to finish out the game but his history suggests that if he's your #2 and your #1 goes down, your #3 better be warming up

the question then becomes is he good enough to justify playing as a starter knowing he's probalby going to miss at least a handful of games each season, we've seen teams do it with Michael Vick so it's not unheard of, but I don't think Locker has shown enough ability to overlook the injuries, I said before the season that if he doesn't prove himself capable of being our long-term QB it'll be because of injuries and if that's the case he might be done in the league and I think I'm gonna stand by that, I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league

I mean I've sort of been a fan of Locker so I'd like the Chargers to bring him in as a backup if they could. He probably wouldn't last one week playing behind our o-line though. :shrug:

Edited by BJORN

Wouldn't mind seeing him come backup Ben. I think it'd be a great situation for him. Our OL's greatly improved and Ben hasn't missed a game since 2012, not to mention the rest of the offense around him.

Yea, I'd definitely take Locker as a backup. Wouldn't blame a few teams (Jets, Eagles) for taking a shot on him as a starter either, even with his injury history.

Pittsburgh would actually be a really good place for him, it's not somewhere that he could be an understudy to eventually take over because I don't think Roethlisberger is close enough to retirement for that, but Locker would probably get a lot out of working behind Big Ben for a year or two, maybe Roethlisberger could teach him how to take a hit, or if he's gonna be a backup from here out behind Ben would be a good place to be

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1