Maverick

Lynch Trademarks "I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined"

TGP has a public opinion on most issues relating to football. However, I don't know what that public opinion is on the enigma known as Marshawn Lynch.

Do you find his antics funny? Do you have a problem with them? Does he deserve his fines? Is the NFL unfairly targeting him?

Edited by Favre4Ever

These things we call "antics" are basically him taking the 5th amendment approach to the media. These aren't antics. This is him making a choice not to have comments or opinions which will undoubtedly be taken way out of context providing additional negative opinions. He knows he speaks a little differently from the typical privileged american, and will likely be taken waaay out of context. I applaud his approach, with the main goal being not to cause further distraction to the team.

The dude keeps his nose clean and out of law enforcement reports, gets along with everyone in the organization, and plays elite caliber football. Absolutely he's being unfairly targeted. The fact people are trying to provoke more drama than he's even trying to prevent, absurd.

His little "grabs" after touchdowns, I don't have a problem with the league fining that. Kids will probably see that and imitate it which we don't really need. That's the one thing he's out of line for doing.

Edited by BC

As a hawks fan, I don't think the NFL is unfairly targeting him.

The reality is, the NFL is one of the greatest sports leagues in the world. And a key part of that is how they protected and promoted the brand. This is done on multiple levels. In this particular case, the brand is enhanced by the intentional and required practice of making their stars accessible to the fans.

This has been a staple of the league for a very long time. The NFL is full of characters. With 1500+ players -- that's bound to happen. And the variety of demographics represented in the player pool is very unique. It has a broad appeal across most segments of the american population.

Lynch definitely deserves the fines. In reality, he had his fines set aside on the proviso that he complied with the league mandate to make themselves accessible. And he willingly decided to again defy that mandate with the full understanding that the previous fines would be assessed.

At this point, I kind of get the impression that Lynch wants the fines. It seems like they support a narrative that he has established as being very much a maverick of the NFL. Ultimately it's a pretty mundane 21st century version of maverick. He's certainly no Lyle Alzado in that regard. Some of those guys from the 70s were just absolutely batshit nuts. And his fine for wearing gold spikes really is tame compared to Jim McMahon's "ROZELLE" headband in rebuke for his fine of using nonstandard adidas brand gear.

Now that was ballsy.

• Upvote 1

I posted this in a thread about Lynch considering retirement, I'd say it pretty well summarizes my thoughts on the guy:

I can't say I'd be shocked, it doesn't seem like he really enjoys it, maybe it's just the public side of the game he doesn't enjoy but that's such a big part of the job of an NFL player, he seems like someone who just wants to exist in anonymity, which you can't really do in professional sports today

Pretty much on the same page as Oochy. You can tell he doesn't truly love the game... He likes crushing opponents hopes and dreams, but he doesn't like the focus being on him. I know that sounds a little odd because he seems like an attention whore sometimes, but I think he is just a bit of a fruit loop and wants to do 'weird' things that people portray as being an attention whore.

Ass onto that that the team he plays for doesn't appreciate him or the weight he shoulders and it's a pretty thankless job for Marshawn Lynch. Even though his antics get old, I can't exactly blame him for not wanting to talk to the media or just go about his day in his own... Odd way.

Pretty much on the same page as Oochy. You can tell he doesn't truly love the game... He likes crushing opponents hopes and dreams, but he doesn't like the focus being on him. I know that sounds a little odd because he seems like an attention whore sometimes, but I think he is just a bit of a fruit loop and wants to do 'weird' things that people portray as being an attention whore.

Ass onto that that the team he plays for doesn't appreciate him or the weight he shoulders and it's a pretty thankless job for Marshawn Lynch. Even though his antics get old, I can't exactly blame him for not wanting to talk to the media or just go about his day in his own... Odd way.

The FO can't look at Lynch like a fan or like his team mates he is a 28 year old RB that doesn't avoid contact how much longer will this last?

Edited by Sacks98

I love him as a player, and don't care for his celebrations, or the trolling the media. Although I really don't see why some people find those amusing, or entertaining... They aren't when he does it, and aren't when other athletes try it.

And I have no problem with the NFL threatening to fine him for not responding to the media... It's a part of his job.

• Upvote 1

As someone who loves physical players... respect his game, can't stand the person.

I think if I had to choose one player I could be like it'd be Marshawn Lynch.

Play the game with great intensity, showboat because YOU know you are great and you take pride in that...and overall fuck the media because you are playing to do one thing.

Play the game. Play the game and not fuck around with all the dramatic media business BS.

Wish more players were like Marshawn. Shut up and play.

Good player.

Lame handler of the media.

Lame dresser.

Play the game. Play the game and not fuck around with all the dramatic media business BS.

Wish more players were like Marshawn. Shut up and play.

in principle, I agree, but you have to acknowledge that sports as a business are entertainment and in the modern world with a 24 hour news cycle and 12 ESPN channels the entertainment isn't confined to the playing field, so a top player in any sport must deal with the media and the general public, especially in a sport that only plays games once a week, that's something that Lynch doesn't seem to understand or doesn't want to understand or just absolutely loathes

And to add to my earlier point--I don't know about the rest of you, but Marshawn Lynch is a player I'll still talk about on occasion in twenty or thirty or fifty years. He's an NFL player I'll never forget, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

He is solid proof of how valuable a great running back can still be for a team.

• Upvote 1

I've read on several occasions that Marshawn has a lot of social anxiety and that's why he doesn't talk to the media. If that's the case, I don't think anyone has any business not liking him because of his interviews or disliking his "antics." The guy seems to have a real issue talking to strangers. The NFL needs to recognize that and leave him alone. That kind of pressure to talk to people can be absolute hell for someone experiencing social anxiety.

that's an interesting thought, but I do have to wonder if there's actually a psychological issue there why nobody's made a bigger deal about it, there are so many mental health advocacy groups now that I have trouble believing nobody would be going nuts over this, and if there's an actual diagnosis of a mental illness then he'd have a pretty good discrimination suit against the league

• Upvote 1

that's an interesting thought, but I do have to wonder if there's actually a psychological issue there why nobody's made a bigger deal about it, there are so many mental health advocacy groups now that I have trouble believing nobody would be going nuts over this, and if there's an actual diagnosis of a mental illness then he'd have a pretty good discrimination suit against the league

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/20/is-marshawn-lynchs-alleged-social-anxiety-used-to-fool-the-media/

This article also addresses that.

It seems like the biggest advocates of this 'social anxiety' theory are a bunch of Seahawks fans signing a petition to stop the league from interviewing Lynch lol.

He gets fined way too much for things that are so small. He's not out there trying to rape women, getting DUIs and getting busted for weed or PEDs. He shouldn't be such a huge target for the NFL.

Lynch has had his share of problems with the law to be fair.

Guest Phailadelphia

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/20/is-marshawn-lynchs-alleged-social-anxiety-used-to-fool-the-media/

This article also addresses that.

It seems like the biggest advocates of this 'social anxiety' theory are a bunch of Seahawks fans signing a petition to stop the league from interviewing Lynch lol.

You dont need outside proof. Just read Marshawn's body language when he's speaking publicly. He's clearly anxious.

I dealt with this badly growing up--and still do to an extent--so I feel for him. Being put on the spot like that is the worst feeling in the world when you're dealing with social anxiety. And it's not something I'd expect people who haven't dealt with it to be able to empathize with. It doesn't even make sense to yourself. You KNOW it's not a big deal and you even try to talk yourself into it, but your brain has other plans that you have zero control over. You're powerless to alter your behavior and reactions in those scenarios, and you begin to say or do anything to get yourself out of that situation. For Marshawn, that means eating a lot of fines. That he'd rather pay 6 figure fines than talk to the media should apeak volumes.

The social anxiety theory could be right, Phail. I can't clearly see that from his interviews, but maybe that's because I haven't dealt with social anxiety. I don't know. However, I'm not going to give him the BOTD based on body language alone. As TGP's own lawyer pointed out, if that is indeed the case then repeatedly fining somebody acting from a mental disorder would put the NFL in deep water. I would certainly like to think the NFL isn't doing that to somebody with a disorder.

Then again, with the past year the NFL have had maybe I shouldn't set my standards so high..

He doesn't want to be interviewed because he sounds different. He seems to feel like he can't live up to people's expectations socially, and will have a different reputation for it, and I can see why.

And then there's Marshawn just bein Marshawn...

Edited by BC

Guest Phailadelphia

The social anxiety theory could be right, Phail. I can't clearly see that from his interviews, but maybe that's because I haven't dealt with social anxiety. I don't know. However, I'm not going to give him the BOTD based on body language alone. As TGP's own lawyer pointed out, if that is indeed the case then repeatedly fining somebody acting from a mental disorder would put the NFL in deep water. I would certainly like to think the NFL isn't doing that to somebody with a disorder.

Then again, with the past year the NFL have had maybe I shouldn't set my standards so high..

Social anxiety isn't really recognized as a 'mental disorder,' but rather a condition people either learn to cope with or take medication to help manage. There aren't like, 'Walks for Anxiety' or things of that nature. It really, in my experience, isn't even taken all that seriously by people who a) don't have it, or b) aren't doctors who understand it.

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7009222/what-the-world-looks-like-with-social-anxiety

Anyway, the NFL needs to back off IMO. They're being real shit heads about this.

• Upvote 1

So if he is getting fined for not talking to the media why aren't others? And if the others are why is the media making a big deal about Lynch not talking. They have Wilson and Sherman who should give them plenty to write about what they say why make a big deal about him not wanting to talk?

The grab thing, well being a Saints fan I personally hate it because it happened to us but I am biased on that. In fact it may have originated with us which makes it worse for me but then again like I said I am biased on that subject.

The Saints have players who refused to speak to the media Colsten for example didn't speak until closer to the end of season and they wanted to talk to him since week 1 when he fumbled in Falcons territory in OT to give them great field position. I don't remember hearing about him being fined for not speaking.

just wanted to point out that this was available on NFL Shop:

ewza6wdlunvdgtt3giqr.jpg

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-sells-a-photo-of-marshawn-lynchs-obscene-gest-1681714535?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

unfortunately the NFL Shop now is showing "image coming soon" instead of this picture

Hey, the NFL wins both ways.. they get to charge both Lynch and the fans for the obscene gesture.